The "Official" Fiddleback OFF-TOPIC thread!!!!!!!!

I saw the thumbnail for that video and I immediately thought about all the leather and tools I've bought to get to where I'm at. At least I'm close to break even...in my mind. Anyone need a sheath with matching belt and dog collar? :D
once you upgrade to the correct Membership requirement per Bladeforums rules.......of course:thumbsup:

I know we have some Solo Stove owners in this here sub-forum. I'm contemplating getting one if a good deal comes up for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and I don't know if I should get the Ranger or the Bonfire. Naturally, I tend to think bigger = better, but I'm wondering if the Ranger would be a better fit for me.

While I do have a decent sized suburban backyard, I really only ever spend time on my elevated 10'x15' concrete patio. Since the divorce, it's really only ever me and the dog at the house with the exception of the ~8 days/month my daughter spends with me. I don't often host people, either.

So, would the Bonfire be overkill? Too much of a hassle?

Will the Ranger put out enough heat? Is it more of a pain because it doesn't hold full logs?

For a bit of further context: I built a 36" diameter fire pit out of paving stones in my backyard a few years ago, and I think I've had a fire in it 3 times and none in the past ~2 years. It is just a pain in the ass.

What say yes?

I know we have some Solo Stove owners in this here sub-forum. I'm contemplating getting one if a good deal comes up for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and I don't know if I should get the Ranger or the Bonfire. Naturally, I tend to think bigger = better, but I'm wondering if the Ranger would be a better fit for me.

While I do have a decent sized suburban backyard, I really only ever spend time on my elevated 10'x15' concrete patio. Since the divorce, it's really only ever me and the dog at the house with the exception of the ~8 days/month my daughter spends with me. I don't often host people, either.

Will the Ranger put out enough heat? Is it more of a pain because it doesn't hold full logs?

For a bit of further context: I built a 36" diameter fire pit out of paving stones in my backyard a few years ago, and I think I've had a fire in it 3 times and none in the past ~2 years. It is just a pain in the ass.

What say yes?
When it comes to Solo Stove, I'd say bigger is better. To get the smoke reduction, you have to get the fire going really good, and you can do that with even their smallest stove. But to keep the fire going without constantly tending it, you need to be able to provide a decent amount of fuel. If I'm cooking on a Solo Stove, I prefer their largest stove, the Campfire, for this very reason; it'll hold material large enough to produce coals that will stay hot a while.

If you'll keep the fire pit in one spot, definitely go bigger. I have the Yukon, and I was surprised that it doesn't hold more material than it does. Again, for the smoke reduction, you don't want the logs burning above the top rim of the fire pit. These are efficient burners, and logs do burn pretty quickly. After each use, I dump out the ashes before replacing the cover, and the Yukon's size does make this cumbersome. I've come up with the system though, where I place two large sticks (about 2" diameter) across the stones of my "normal" fire pit, then flip the Yukon upside down onto these sticks. After shaking the Yukon a little, I flip it right side up and put it back in its spot.

One thing to be aware of with these fire pits is that your fire is essentially in a topless container. Those walls do limit the amount of heat that radiates outward, and a lot of heat goes straight up. To feel much heat, you have to be pretty close to the fire pit.

If you get one, definitely get the Fire Pit Tools. I'm not sure if they still include a basic cover, but their newer "Shelters" are much better with an interior frame in the top to keep the cover from gathering enough water that it sinks to the floor of the fire pit.

I agree that bigger is better. I have a Bonfire and I'm very happy with it but I find myself wishing I had a Yukon.

When it comes to Solo Stove, I'd say bigger is better. To get the smoke reduction, you have to get the fire going really good, and you can do that with even their smallest stove. But to keep the fire going without constantly tending it, you need to be able to provide a decent amount of fuel. If I'm cooking on a Solo Stove, I prefer their largest stove, the Campfire, for this very reason; it'll hold material large enough to produce coals that will stay hot a while.

If you'll keep the fire pit in one spot, definitely go bigger. I have the Yukon, and I was surprised that it doesn't hold more material than it does. Again, for the smoke reduction, you don't want the logs burning above the top rim of the fire pit. These are efficient burners, and logs do burn pretty quickly. After each use, I dump out the ashes before replacing the cover, and the Yukon's size does make this cumbersome. I've come up with the system though, where I place two large sticks (about 2" diameter) across the stones of my "normal" fire pit, then flip the Yukon upside down onto these sticks. After shaking the Yukon a little, I flip it right side up and put it back in its spot.

One thing to be aware of with these fire pits is that your fire is essentially in a topless container. Those walls do limit the amount of heat that radiates outward, and a lot of heat goes straight up. To feel much heat, you have to be pretty close to the fire pit.

If you get one, definitely get the Fire Pit Tools. I'm not sure if they still include a basic cover, but their newer "Shelters" are much better with an interior frame in the top to keep the cover from gathering enough water that it sinks to the floor of the fire pit.

I agree that bigger is better. I have a Bonfire and I'm very happy with it but I find myself wishing I had a Yukon.

Thanks, y'all! I really appreciate the first hand information. I don't anticipate it moving much other than from spot to spot on the aforementioned 10x15 patio. Considering that I'll never actually be relying on this device to keep me warm, I don't know how much heat output is a factor. I'm in south Louisiana, so it never really gets cold, plus it's on my back patio. If I get cold I can go inside and get more clothes.

With regard to having to feed a hungry fire: how fast are we talking here? Minutes? Half hour? Hour? I actually find the fast burn rate favorable. I can grab a sweater, a cigar, some scotch and burn a fire for as long as the cigar/scotch last.

I appreciate y'all taking the time!

I don't have anything objective on the timing, but if I had to guess, I would say a log burns somewhere around half the time it would in an open fire pit.

I have a bonfire and with the spacer ring underneath and the case it's about the perfect size for a portable firepit. Anything larger and it's staying put. I did find another great use for my bonfire this past weekend. Got a fire started and cleaned up all my yard debris and fed the fire for about an hour. Even just fallen branches catch after about 5 minutes of steaming like crazy. When it cooled off only about a cup of ashes at the bottom, just turned over, banged it out in the mulch and put it back in the case to store in the garage.

What say yes?

I also recommend the Bonfire. Primarily because of the portability of it. The Bonfire comes with a travel bag and just fill the Bonfire up with your fuel before you head out. I take mine with me all the time, even if I'm not sure I'll need it. I've had several occasions where I was camping after foul weather and could immediately start a perfect campfire. Once you have a good fire going with the fuel you brought, semi wet/damp wood burns fine. You can also show up to any party and be the coolest guy there with the portable campfire. I've used a Yukon, and as Robbie mentioned it is cumbersome for one person and you need to make some sort of "rig" to manage it properly by yourself. They are pricey, but get one on sale and it is worth the investment. When I got mine, REI had a 30% off sale and when I threw in my dividend I got it for about $150. Also, be sure to get the ring that Noah mentioned. It not only gets the fire pit up off the ground a couple extra inches, it allows you to use it virtually on any surface without worrying about damaging it.

Came home to 50 ft pine tree across our yard which fell during a storm while gone for the weekend. I cut the top 10 ft off with a hand saw to get it out of the driveway. Since I don't own a chainsaw, anyone got any bushcrafty ideas on what to do with the rest of the tree?
pine tree on Flickr

Came home to 50 ft pine tree across our yard which fell during a storm while gone for the weekend. I cut the top 10 ft off with a hand saw to get it out of the driveway. Since I don't own a chainsaw, anyone got any bushcrafty ideas on what to do with the rest of the tree?
pine tree on Flickr
Invite a bunch of Fiddleback Friends with Fiddleback knives over ... and start whittlin ;)

Cut up some logs about 14 to 20 inches, then have the Fiddleback crew do some totem pole carvings or use a chainsaw to create some old men faces. Or like the living Woods guardians in the Lord of the Rings.

Back