The Official Lanyard Thread

Thanks I may try more of that
G2

I've had more different lanyards on my Olamic Rainmaker than any knife I've owned, and I haven't had this one a year yet. I started out with a favorite cord--King Tut--and one of my several ferruled blue glass beads that I bought at the Big River Site in a 5-pack for about $7.50. I often use them as placeholders until I find a bead for a particular knife and I like the fact that they're non-marring to sensitive handle or clip finishes.

tNJM76J.jpg

I found this TiCreatures bead at the ArtsyCrafty site and really like it, but it's awful big. After failing to master the Double Diamond Knot, I settled on using the only 11-strand 750 cord I had which was a kinda matte/washed out red, tying it up with a couple regular Diamond Knots, loosely cinched up. I was reasonably pleased with it, but also thought of the cord and knots as placeholders until I found something better.

lwJuhEE.jpg

I'd been practicing the Wide Diamond for a while and when I got a new hank of 550 Vibrations I went ahead and tied up two around that big blue Ti bead, spending a lot of time getting them just right, balanced, and snugged up nicely. The only trouble was I hated the way the fat knots and big bead looked on such a long slender knife. I really wished I'd left well enough alone and never posted that one here, though it is up over at the EDC thread.

ICPf8JW.jpg

Anyway, I figured it was time to find a new bead and put Big Blue in storage until another day. I went back to the ArtsyCraftsy site to another maker I'd bought from there and got a bead basically identical to the one on my Voron, only with blue ends instead of red. I got out all my favorite cords, settling on the darker of two versions of Moonstruck 550, and tied up this one that I'm finally pleased with. I think I'll leave well enough alone now, stop choking my Rainmaker, and go cut some stuff with it instead.

wrqlZtv.jpg

odV3mIg.jpg

Those are some sizeable beads right there, the last one is pretty classy looking !

Got a new folder today to round out the year, my reasoning might be flawed ;) but it's pretty nice, Civivi Trailblazer

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Has a hidden lanyard spot, VERY small, I had to remove one scale in order to feed even this small diameter paracord through and I did diamond knots with one of my Celtic beads so as not to be too large on this thinner cord and followed that with a few snake knots which are becoming a fav :)

This narrow cord is tough to get a purchase on with pliers when cinching everything up tight, otherwise it works pretty good in situations like this.

G2

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley , that's good-looking Damascus on your new Civivi and the knife looks pretty nice overall. I saw that you sold your Kapara as your initial like turned to uncomfortableness with the compression lock. I've got a few of those, enjoy them, and generally transitition to a thumb/forefinger pinch grip to disengage. The Kapara is problematic, though, as the CF is so slick that the knife can easily slip out of hand when doing so.

The snake knots and untied tails are a nice addition to your lanyards. I try to change things up with mine which is why I'm always buying new cord, beads, and learning new knots. On the other hand, I tend to the same pattern of knot-bead-knot-untied tail. Earlier free tails were shorter and cut to different lengths, but I now prefer them cut evenly and longer.

Thanks, the Kapara felt fine in hand as I didn't feel it too slippery with the contours, but it's the compression lock, I've tried a few models that had it and just can't get past that lock style.

As to the snake knots, I have to see how it plays out on full size paracord, the narrow cord seems fine although a little difficult to cinch up with the smaller cord. The staggered tails felt more intentional than just cutting off square/even lengths but I may change my mind down the road. All in all it's been interesting to do something different.

And the folder does have nice damascus, some have questioned if it is 'real' damascus and I proved that out a while ago by sanding down the spine of a blade and then acid etch to see all the layers. And this one while being a slip joint does have a nice deep pocket carry clip too. Best of both worlds ? maybe :)

G2

Last edited:
As to the snake knots, I have to see how it plays out on full size paracord, the narrow cord seems fine although a little difficult to cinch up with the smaller cord. The staggered tails felt more intentional than just cutting off square/even lengths but I may change my mind down the road. All in all it's been interesting to do something different.
Since I happen to have some paracord that matches my Bugout, I decided to give snake knots a try. I'm finding it tricky to get the cord to tighten evenly for a seamless snake look.
I'll carry it like this today, but I doubt I'll leave it on for very long.
HZrNtId.jpg

odvwkO4.jpg

Looks great one thing I use is a Swiss Army Tool pliers to cinch up all of my knots
G2
Thanks; I'll give that a try. Should work better than using my teeth. :D
Snake knots get loose and stretchy over time. Try using a 2 stranded wall knot. It looks like a snake knot but is easier to tie and stays tighter for me.
Cool. :cool::thumbsup: I'll give that a go this weekend.

Example of some 11 stranded paracord next to some 3 stranded paracord bobtail fobs;

The thinner stranded works well on the smaller folder, not as over powering, but I do like the 11 stranded on larger knives and fixed blades.
G2

Back