The plague of S30V and S35VN

You might be new to posting here brother, but I get the feeling that your knives are as sharp as your wit and posting style!

Love your description of Cliff’s musings! Very well put!

Also, give Gaston some time.:....his musings take some serious pondering to fully appreciate.
:p
Joe

I’m starting to veer towards your view in this, but I’m new to posting here.

Those pictures indicate a badly sharpened knife, with a wire edge. It would be quite a feat of trolling to produce those sorts of fragile edges and then do “chopping” and then take photographs.

As I say, you could be right, but I submit that these photos reflect poor maintenance, and the posts reflect an imperfect understanding and garbled regurgitation of the musings of Cliff Stamp. I can’t comment further, and have no wish to do so. There is, as I have recently discovered, a separate area available in which to offload.

However, it is entirely correct to call out foolish nonsense on the open access areas of this website. I guess that is why I’m even bothering.

TL;DR Gaston444 has a unique and controversial view of CPM steels, and I strongly disagree.

You might be new to posting here brother, but I get the feeling that your knives are as sharp as your wit and posting style!

Love your description of Cliff’s musings! Very well put!

Also, give Gaston some time.:....his musings take some serious pondering to fully appreciate.
:p
Joe
Well, I don't mind S30V, never had a knife with S35VN but maybe someday. S30V is better than some steels. So I can live with it.

I used to kinda look into steels when I first got into the hobby some years ago but now I’m not to concerned. I just buy a knife I like, use it, and when it gets dull I sharpen it.... pretty simple stuff..

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.

Whoa.

Slow down.

Somebody explain this esoteric complex process to me in more detail.

PrO
Time? Just practice and the right tools for the job.
I think the sandpaper method might be slowing ya down. If I used sandpaper to reprofile I'd die of boredom.
This took minutes to reprofile s110v,
t7MOtqO.jpg

How? Angle consistently, no wasted passes
Moving back and forth doubles the cutting speed, quality abrasive with a renewable surface, keeps cutting. Fluid to float away worn stone and metal filings.

But man, there is a billion ways to do something, if that works for ya it works.

I was just watching videos about guys using cardboard wheels with diamond dust and white rouge to sharpen everything I can't argue that it's wayy faster then dealing with Sharpening stones, But its not for me.
To each there own
I don't mind doing it. Taking more time to sharpen gives a feel for a knife. It is amazing how asymmetrical they are when you look close enough. The last two I did only took a half-hour for the pair. I can put a profile on pretty quick, it is just evening the heel and tip that get overground when starting or stopping a pass by people using power equipment that takes time.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.

Whoa.

Slow down.

Somebody explain this esoteric complex process to me in more detail.
Ya know, there might be something there. Sure I'll look at the steel for attributes I need, I'll take H1 for my saltwater knives for example, but just maybe, I might not be so high-speed/low-drag that I'll push most steels to their limits.... Na, I'm sure I need it!;) Either way, its fun, I'm just glad we've got decent knives in stainless. Its like its not a swear-word anymore. Gotta be loving that!

The belt I used was worn, and I was working really slow to mitigate heat.

Here you go . . .
I was watching this Vid series. THANK YOU APOSTLE P !
I know I know some get all bent about Apostl P. There are things afoot that I don't know or understand. Dude has helped me . . . that's all I'm saying about that.

aaannnnyway check out what Tony Bose says about 15 minutes in about belts and stuff.
Another reason custom / great knives cost more. Buying belts I guess.

PrO

I don't mind doing it. Taking more time to sharpen gives a feel for a knife. It is amazing how asymmetrical they are when you look close enough. The last two I did only took a half-hour for the pair. I can put a profile on pretty quick, it is just evening the heel and tip that get overground when starting or stopping a pass by people using power equipment that takes time.

Yes the last one I did a few days ago I was wishing that it was possible to have a choice in edge grind from the factory. In other words on the shelf of who ever is selling the knife are two versions of the same exact knife : Knife A is what we are used to. Knife B you have to pay X amount more for but the bevels and thickness near the edge has had more attention at the factory and are way more precisely formed.

I can get mine right but the down side is the 120 Shapton stone for my Edge Pro is REALLY REALLY friable and wears rapidly. More so if I do more than one knife in a sitting (which is very often the case) the stone just gets softer the wetter it gets. SUUUUUUUUCKS ! ! ! ! Reminds me of the night mare that is the Norton 220 water stone. Garbage !

I end up going to town with my 220 which is night and day more durable just so I can save the 120. For what I don't know.
I do know that to even get the 120 I had to go back and forth in e-mails with the one US vendor for MONTHS ! ! ! ! and one of those exchanges was in Japan ? or Taiwan ? I forget now and he said he was just going to the actual plant to make the order deal. I don't think he was BSing me because next thing I know after that I did get the stones I was trying to order.

Talk about pulling teeth.
P I T A

I used to kinda look into steels when I first got into the hobby some years ago but now I’m not to concerned. I just buy a knife I like, use it, and when it gets dull I sharpen it.... pretty simple stuff..

I hear ya'.
Some of my favorite users are plain old Case Trappers in SS or CV. I am ALL ABOUT the handle and blade shape FIRST . . . then I look at the steel.

Unless it is a knife with M4 then I am willing to make some compromises just to get that steel.
Contradicting my self ? ??
You bet.
If Case ever offered a Single blade Trapper with a good full handle like their twin blade Trapper with M4. . . well . . .
I don't know what I would do . . .
Probably fly up in the air like a fire works and then go camp out at the plant like an Apple Fan boy until they sold me one just to get rid of me.

A guy can dream can't he ?

But yes I use and love the basic stuff because it is so dang good over all when actually using it.
Touch up ever couple days though.
IMG_4671.jpg
IMG_3279.jpg

Back