The Remington thread

Remington Daddy Barlow RB1240, c.1924-1933

:eek: That is one striking big fella, MMM! I've never seen one in person, what a great find! :thumbup:

Thanks for the picture of the interframe Remington. Some think the interframe came about in the late 20th century by customer makers. Tony Bose in the big Bose thread used that Remington as a example that there is nothing "new" in knives. I agree, great thread.

This is why I love this forum. "Interframe". Would have never found that term in a million years, but it fits so perfectly.

Do you think the inlaid scales are ebony? They don't feel like any composite I've handled but I don't see any sort of grain even under a SAK's magnifier, and my loupe appears to be long gone. It is definitely a cool-looking variation on that pattern. Thanks for the info!

Here is a nice old bullet R1123. Not mine, it's my grandfather's that he has for sale when he goes to knife shows. I should get some better pictures of it before he sells it.

Oh my Rookie!:thumbup::thumbup: With the etch even! Looking forward to your future pics:D

Just out of curiosity, what are the ground rules for the thread? Are we showing off old Remingtons, "1930s and 1980s" only, or all of 'em? :p

I think I only have two which tick all three boxes. Better pics of my RB44(?) from earlier in the thread:

Could almost be kin to that sweet daddy Barlow MerryMadMonk posted.

Here's a nickel silver handled large stockman whose cousin with a punch in place of the third blade was recently sold on that big auction site (for beaucoups bucks :eek:) as an "R4079":

Sweet barlow!

This is a Remington “Bulldog” special order knife for Hunter Trader Trapper magazine. It’s 3 5/8s closed and the main blade is on two springs. Right around the time I bought it this pattern was in Bernard Levine’s Knife World column.

IMG_0620.jpg

Here's the ad.
ad.jpg

I was able to buy the HTT magazine that the ad was in.

HTT%20cover_zps4isljgrr.jpg

Super cool, Mike!! Interesting the main blade is on two springs and I don't see any other blades:confused:

Thanks! They used a sleeveboard whittler frame for a single blade knife. There's a small piece of black material (not sure what it's made of) on the opposite end in between the bolsters.

Some Remingtons ? :

I speculate these are authentic Pal Remingtons,put together with leftovers from inventory. I have come across 3 of these all marked R4633 instead of R3853 for the bone handled as cataloged.Each has a seemingly exaggerated sheepsfoot instead of the pruning blade?

I own two,the other was eventually sold in a Morphy's auction (after being sold on eBay)

Sold on Morphy's

BShwWuT.jpg

Two I own,which came from 2 different collections of farmers jacks.

PQZFIvH.jpg

dYxwFpF.jpg

GgkCSRK.jpg

SO0oJw1.jpg

These are two other Remingtons.

First is a bone handle marked R3853,second is the R3855 French ivory(exact knife in Sargents book). Remington also has a cocobolo version(which I have never seen a knife or picture of. An R3558)

dEThsFY.jpg

bcwrb6G.jpg

MsusZJz.jpg

9vRG8YG.jpg

Some Remingtons ? :

I speculate these are authentic Pal Remingtons,put together with leftovers from inventory. I have come across 3 of these all marked R4633 instead of R3853 for the bone handled as cataloged.Each has a seemingly exaggerated sheepsfoot instead of the pruning blade?

I own two,the other was eventually sold in a Morphy's auction (after being sold on eBay)

Sold on Morphy's

BShwWuT.jpg

Two I own,which came from 2 different collections of farmers jacks.

PQZFIvH.jpg

dYxwFpF.jpg

GgkCSRK.jpg

SO0oJw1.jpg

My heart is racing Lyle, you're killing me :D These are pretty neat knives. I had a little knife made up by PAL with a marked Remington master blade and old Rem bone. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Best regards

Robin

Here's a PAL assembled Remington that Bernard said was likely made in 1941 right after they bought the rights to the patterns and left over blades from DuPont.

Best regards

Robin

This. Thread. Is. AWESOME. :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Keep 'em coming, this is only wetting my whistle for old Remingtons. :)

Here's a PAL assembled Remington that Bernard said was likely made in 1941 right after they bought the rights to the patterns and left over blades from DuPont.

Best regards

Robin

Thanks Robin,it's nice to show the evidence used in theory.

I associate this handle almost typical Pal,(perhaps a late Rogers bone as seen on some late XX Case knives),that I've seen on other Pal knives.

Interesting that this knife's handles resemble the light colored R4633,I assume to be Pal chronology.
It is, Lyle! Great to see your lovely examples!!! I think I can hear Robin's heart beating:D

Robin
I love the old PAL with the Circle shield....wow!:eek:

Great old tear drop with gorgeous bone on it:thumbup::thumbup:

Back