The Remington thread

Rem%20grp%201_zpsvtxfiptx.jpg

Another 6-blade scout, some Hawks, and a single-spring double-end Harness Jack! Where have I seen one of those before??:confused:
:)

You sly old dog. Correct on all counts.

I only have one Remington knife. This is a modern one made by bear and son . The wooden scale
Are supposed to be made from the stocks from old Remington shotguns .

I only have one Remington knife. This is a modern one made by bear and son . The wooden scale
Are supposed to be made from the stocks from old Remington shotguns .

I have a lockback from that series. Very well made.

Beautiful folders Old Bowie, Charlie and Charles!! Thanks for showing them, Lloyd

Nice Orange Blossom, Charles!
Great knives showing up here, old and new!

An oldie but goodie!
Here is a humble Radio knife . . . .maybe not so humble!;)
Likely Cocobola, but showing its kinship with Rosewood!

Radio%201_zpsojzkzbtb.jpg

Nicely locking screwdriver - like a vault!

Radio%202_zpssg1ylv7m.jpg

All blades marked.

Radio%203_zpsrvplkllq.jpg

Radio%205_zpswtnvnlfy.jpg

Etch still clear!

Radio%204_zpsfkpubgkd.jpg

This is the nicest screwdriver knife I have seen to date. Shows Remington's determination to be the best!!:thumbup:

Charlie. Forgive me as it's actually hard not agree when you comment on a knife- again I agree - that knife looks like an amazingly built knife. So lucky to find a working knife such as this in such splendid condition.

Charlie, That's the best preserved example of that knife that I have seen!! Remington made some very cool radio/electrician knives and this is very neat pattern with its fancy lock release button. They used a similar lock release on a stockman... I'm not sure if I recall correctly but it may have been a lock release for the punch.

Boys%20Life%20Dec%201926.jpeg

Popular%20Science%20Apr%201929.jpg

The radio knife ad copyright 1929. I wonder what the $2.00 price would be today?
*edit. I just found an inflation calculator on the net. $27.50 for the radio knife in 2016.
its interesting they called the whittler a general utility knife.

Last edited:
"Whittler" is a modern term but these knives weren't typically marketed for whittling. The old ads often emphasized the utility of the different blade types on a multi-blade.

Those old radio knives are well built knives. I've owned a few but never as nice as the one Charlie shows in his photo. They were often heavily worn and often recently refinished. It's a real treat to see such a well preserved example.

The lock release is interesting from a historical perspective. There are a lot of cool locking mechanisms on the old electrician knives. As another example, some of the old Empire and Schrade electrician knives had screwdrivers that unlocked by pressing down on the spine of the closed knife blade. Some of these mechanisms have been rebirthed for modern knives and multi-tools.

Nice advertising Jake! A fun read. And $2.00 - oh my:eek:!
Navihawk, that inflation calculator can't be right. That knife would be more than $90 today, made that well!:rolleyes:

Nice advertising Jake! A fun read. And $2.00 - oh my:eek:!
Navihawk, that inflation calculator can't be right. That knife would be more than $90 today, made that well!:rolleyes:

I hear you Charlie. I was scratching my head over that one. Probably more than 90 bucks. The knives of yesteryear usually had a finish on the inside tangs like customs these days.

Nice knife, Jamie.
Remington made a lot of colorful celluloid handles.
I have seen a lot of deteriorated celluloid, but so far, none on early Remingtons. I think they made the handle material in-house. Anyone a Remington expert out there??

Back