The Revenant: Any knife action??

I forged five knives and a tomahawk for The Revenant. I have not seen the movie yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing some of my work on the big screen.

I forged five knives and a tomahawk for The Revenant. I have not seen the movie yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing some of my work on the big screen.

Please elaborate.
With pictures? :thumbup:

I was moved by the film. It was hard to watch at some points because it disturbed me it but I was glad I saw it.
About the knives. I loved the knives because they looked like they belonged and not like crocodile dundee
Also very refreshing to see because a fighting knife is any knife you have in your possesion during a fight and all are very capable of killing your fellow man.

A peeve of mine is when knives are given mystical powers in films. Rambo dundee and especially in the hunted. It gives knife owners and carriers a bad name. We all know that a chefs knife or a steak knife are just as capable of killing. I remember bieng out for dinner the other night and getting a ridiculasly large steak knife.

Planning to see it today. Hopefully have a good shot of Matt's knives, but bet the outdoor scenes are great.

Just saw it this afternoon in a matinee, really liked it, makes you feel really lonely seeing how isolated some of the wilderness scenes could be. Really beautiful. I was trying to see some of Matt's knives, missed it unless it was in the first scene with action moving so fast. Anyone else see them? The last fight scene near the end, do not want to spoil anything, I saw a knife that appeared to be a Hudson Bay knife with a clip point and a brass guard. Also interested in the other knives and Tomahawks made by the other maker (stephen5) for the film. what do you think will happen to these movie knives? Collection somewhere or in a prop locker for years?

Last edited:
Seems like movies like this always end up in a argument over who really made the knives in them. I thought Mike Mann was supposed to have made the ones in the last knife fighting scenes? Anyone know?

Seems like movies like this always end up in a argument over who really made the knives in them. I thought Mike Mann was supposed to have made the ones in the last knife fighting scenes? Anyone know?

Funny you should mention that it may have been Mike Mann's work, I thought it looked like his Hudson Bay knife, but I wanted to make sure I give credit to the actual maker and did not want to assume it as his work. I did not stay for the end credits to see whom was given credit for the nice period pieces.

Spoiler alert; the bear takes the knife from Leocarpo Dinardio and uses it against him!

Spoiler alert; the bear takes the knife from Leocarpo Dinardio and uses it against him!

Spoiler alert, the bear already did the damage to Leo, the knife was just an extra and she decided to HOLD (literally) onto it. She liked it so much that she just died to get it. Bad one I know, but had to say it. :D

Great movie! There are some liberties taken with the true story, of course, not unusual, and in no way detract from the enjoyability of the film. If you'd care to know exactly what happened just google "Hugh Glass". A lot of it is either correct or close, although they did omit where he laid over a bunch of maggots and let them eat the infected flesh off his back. Probably for the best, seeing as how Ladies would be viewing it too.

Scroll down to Wild Rose and the dags. These were spread through the Great Lakes area and across western North America I believe. I know that they were used in Wisconsin. And they were commonly listed in Fur Trade post inventories up here.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/279438-Need-help-researching-a-blade
I know a guy out here that found one while metal detecting.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/150050-my-best-fur-trade-relic-season.html
Take a look at the Cold Steel Shanghai Shadow and Shanghai Warrior, the Shadow in particular should be pretty easy to mod into a trade dag and look very historically accurate.

Funny you should mention that it may have been Mike Mann's work, I thought it looked like his Hudson Bay knife, but I wanted to make sure I give credit to the actual maker and did not want to assume it as his work. I did not stay for the end credits to see whom was given credit for the nice period pieces.

Just checked out Mike Mann's site, he did make some knives for the movie too, the Hudson Bay, a San Francisco Bowie, and a Nessmuk, and maybe two more HBs for Hardy.

I, Angus McGunnigle, as an unknown hobbyist that has only finished a few knives now that I would even show another human, DID NOT make any knives for the movie. HOWEVER, I was involved with the WATCHING of the movie recently and I can prove that if anyone dares to attack my character. I DID sneak in a somewhat period accurate snack(beef jerky) that I feel the mountain men of that era would have approved. In the spirit of truthfulness, I DID NOT kill the cow and make the jerky myself. It was some free range organic stuff I got at the local hippie store. I have the receipt to prove that also. I ALSO was involved with GREATLY ENJOYING the movie. I cannot prove that and you are gonna just have to trust me on that.

Last edited:
I just watched the movie and recently finished the book called "Lord Grizzly" which is about Hugh Glass. The movies strays far from what actually happened, but like it says at the beginning......"inspired by true events" so it's a creative take on the story.

In the book Hugh makes a comment about "give me a few dry horns of DuPont (gun powder) and a fresh Green River knife and that's about all I need"

I pictured him carrying something of a skinning knife like in the pics below and the movie didn't disappoint. Most featured knives were about what you would expect a trapper to carry. They did an excellent job with period correct weapons and tools.

Bark River makes a model called the Mountain Man that seems to be a pretty authentic copy. I might have to pick one of those up!

Just keep learning more info, on that bushcrafters forum I also read that Bud and Tudy Smith from NC also made some knives and bags for the movie. Bud made the knife that Leo used to kill the bear. Angus, thanks for your comments, made me laugh. I just like finding who made the stuff so I can also go and look at their sites and wares.

Last edited:

Haha!

Y8R1an0.jpg

Back