The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

Just curious, Paul, what do you use the hawkbill blade for?

Jeff, back in 2015 I built my front entry deck and did landscaping also. I initially used it as a scribe because no matter where I put my pencil I wasn't near it:mad: but aside from other cutting including mulch and qwikrete bags it developed most of it's patina (and a wee bit of rust) from pocket carry and it was HOT and MUGGY:eek: it has halved some apples but not much food use. I had to admit it became a fast favorite when it came to utility tasks...cardboard, balers twine, some fabric upholstery work and assorted handyman projects.

I just found it to be a handy blade, more than I ever thought it would be:thumbsup:

Last edited:
My only Farmer’s Jack that was a recent gift from my father. Schrade Cutlery Co. in need of a little TLC.
xTgApAh.jpg

The blades are very versatile on this pattern. The master excels at opening any kind of clamshell for as with any Pruner type blade you can hook into the stuff and open it with no danger. I open seed, mulch, pet food sacks, it scores stuff very well, ideal for sharpening sticks in the garden, of course for taking cuttings ;) pruning climbing subjects like Clematis that get woody, it opens Oranges/Lemons really well by hooking. The list goes on! The minor blade is a good scraper in tight spaces, if you smoked a pipe or cigar it could be useful, I slice ultra thin Garlic slices with it for sauces and any work needing shaving effect like on small leather pieces belts straps etc.

Above all, it works on this frame like an extension of the hand, it feels so right in use.:cool:

wJj3HTz.jpg

Last edited:
I love to see this one Paul. It is so rugged looking and elegant at the same time. I hope you do enjoy it for 40 more years.;)
Thanks Travis, your collection you posted a page back are all great knives...I love that smooth camel bone in there especially and like Lyle said "the simple elegance of ebony and a bar shield" is so true:thumbsup::)

Thanks Travis, your collection you posted a page back are all great knives...I love that smooth camel bone in there especially and like Lyle said "the simple elegance of ebony and a bar shield" is so true:thumbsup::)
Thanks. That cranberry red version actually belongs to my bro-in-law. It is the same knife that is in post #889 above.

Last edited:
Pretty knife Travis. I wouldn’t trust it around my other knives, because of all those celluloid gassers from that era, especially those Fight’n Roosters. Most have gassed out by now though.
I liked those Frank Buster creations.
I had one that disappeared when several of my knives got stolen and pawned.

The German cutlers used a lot of cell well into the 90s or even the early 2000s. I suspect your knife is from the 1990s, but would need to see all the tang stamps to give a more accurate assessment. It's beautiful, and . . . I'm jealous!

Back