• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

The Steel Is In!

Got my steel yesterday. Right on time just like he said. Aldo is "good people", even if he is a "Joisey" yank.

Thanks my friend.........

Robert

I dunno bout that Robert,

I got my steel the other day and my wife swears Aldo's a redneck due to the amount of duct tape used.

Now if only there was a little bailing wire in there, we could remove all doubt.

Stephan

I recieved mine on Friday and managed to get it out of the package on Saturday.

Thanks,

Dave

Ball Busters, I'm surrounded by ball busters. Look guys, it's real simple. Jam the entire package into your forge and kick it up.

Aldo

PS- If the forge isn't big enough, perhaps I could interest you in some LARGE STEEL PIPE.:D

PSS- Why are you on line anyway? You just received the finest knife steel money can buy. Go make a knife!!

PPSS- Hey Steve. Tell your wife I am a Redneck. I was just born in the wrong state.

Hey Aldo,

You're never going to believe this but when the 15N20 showed up with the new reinforced shipping format the thin stuff wasn't bent up or even slightly warped. UPS did manage somehow to break the 1 x 2 into three seperate pieces...once I got all the duct tape and packing tape off so I could notice it. ;)

My wife, Sally, agrees with the previous post that no matter where you're living at now you gotta be a redneck for using all that tape. You need to put whatever money you're getting ahead into a tape company. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for keeping up with us small guys, we love what you're doing!

Mike

Just finished making my competition chopper out of this steel, wicked......

chopped through some old nasty oak handrail 4 times.

6 2X4's chopped

went through about 15' of 1" hemp rope (12 cuts)

and cleared a bunch of bamboo in my backyard

the original edge STILL shaves, and I haven't even stropped it.

I'm impressed

STephan

I'm still waiting for mine. What's the deal, Aldo? Did the Pony Express give the lowest shipping quote or what? :D

Gavin

I'm still waiting too and I only live a few hours away from him! Thats what I get for procrastinating with my order:p
Grant

Just got mine at Ashokan, this stuff forges just as beautifully as the last!

Thanks Aldo

-Page

Hey everybody. Sorry I haven't been around. I started a new position with an outfit whose owner actually has integrity. He has already raised the bar for me a dozen times since I started 2 weeks ago. It's nice to know that when you go the extra mile you will be appreciated instead of being told it took to long.

I just wanted to inform you of whats been happening on my end. It's been near 4 years since Mace and I started with this venture. Since than, I've had to move the entire operation from a huge warehouse that belonged to a friend of mine to a 2 car garage(Same one my shop is in.)

Because of the lack of room I decided to rent a garage cheap. I had all the 1095 (about 15,000 lbs.) and 3,200 lbs of W-2 that I've slowly been collecting for the last 8 months.

Apparently someone took interest in it's scrap value and decided to alleviate me of all the W-2 and at least 6,000 lbs of 1095. The W-2 was in slabs from 2 1/4"down to 1" thick and I had planned on cutting it into bars so guys without power hammers could have a go at making beautiful "Don Hanson" type Hamons. At this point there is no recourse. It's probably already been shipped from China back to the USA in the shape of a toaster. Next time you buy one think of me.:mad:

A month later I was LAID OFF do to a lagging economy. I was alright with that cause the steel came in a week before and I needed the time. As it turns out UPS decided that my packaging methods weren't up to snuff and after 3 years of doing it the exact same way they decided to NAIL me for $6.50 on every bundle I've shipped for the last 3 months. We are,need I say, in negotiations as we speak.:mad: We will be shipping in heavy wall tubing from this point on.

When the steel arrived there was 14 cents a pound tacked on for scrap charges. 10,000 x .14 = $1,400.THAT SUCKED.:eek:

I've had to shut down the PayPal account because some kid from Hong Kong decided to hack in and permanently borrow $461.00 for Online game time. Fortunately I caught the little bastard in time and stopped the transaction. Now I'm trying to remember all my new passwords.:mad:

My reward in all this is seeing the pieces that are being made by all of you. Trust me, it ain't about the money. Last week at Ashokan on Saturday night when we had the forges going I looked around and realized that, with one exception, every piece of steel being worked came out of my garage. It felt good.

My apologies for any screwed up or delayed orders. I'm a 1 man shop. I will, in the future, try to be more efficient and more aware of your needs.

At this point I would ask a favor of all of you. My E-Mail address is njsteelbaron@gmail.com. I would so appreciate, if you would spend a little time and send me pictures of the knives you've made. I'd love to see what all of you have been doing and that the effort is worth continuing.

Thank you so much,
Aldo

PS- Steve, glad to hear you nailed the heat treat. Hope the rest of you end up with the same results.

Aldo I am sorry to hear about the problems. I am glad to hear your taking it well. I hope the jerks dropped a big piece on their toes. I have some of your 1095 and been commissioned to make a carbon blade, so I will send a photo. Jim

One thing Aldo didn't mention, is the bars weigh a bit more on the 1/4x1.5" 1084. I think it's 1 or 1.5 lbs per 50, over what he quoted. Not to mention the other extra costs he incurred. I ordered 200 lbs, so I sent Aldo an extra $20 because I want him to be able to continue supplying us with this steel !

I use a lot of 1/4x1.5 1084 in my damascus and there is no other source.

Hope it all smoothes out for ya, Aldo.

Aldo is "good-people". He can't help that he is an ugly-assed joisey yank, but he is one heck of a super guy, and will do what he tells you he will do.

I have about 50 pounds of his latest 1084. He sent what he said he would send, and sent it when he said he would send it.

Hope your new job goes well Aldo. Hope to see you soon.

Robert

Aldo, got the steel today. Thanks so much. I am waiting on my tongs and a propane regulator and I will start working it asap. I will post pics of my first attempts on your other thread that asked for pictures.

i was wondering what you get for the 1095 and what sives you have it in could you send me some prices thanks chris

Back