The Traveling Spyderco Delica. . .

I'm happy Bluey the little bugga made the trip east safely.

Looks like he's in good hands.

Any more updates Cambertree? Looking forward to more goodness in Oz.

Sure thing: here's an update on Bluey's tour of Oz.

Well the weather's been a bit miserable here, down south in Melbourne.

The weekend after we last posted, we were pretty much rained in the whole time. Bluey was in good spirits though, and helped out in the kitchen, and with various little household cutting chores.

We headed out at dawn one morning during the week. I wanted to head up to the top of Mt. Dandenong on the east side of Melbourne to show Bluey the view.

Here he is about to head off down the bush path.

FDUAznU.jpg

We wound our way through a bit of rocky terrain.

FFFEaMv.jpg

I told Bluey 'When we reach this spot, you can see waayyy across Melbourne to the other side of the city, maybe 60kms away.'

When we got there, though, this was the view that awaited us!

khWi6TD.jpg

Nevermind, it was a pleasant morning walk through the misty forested mountainside, anyway.

82juode.jpg

On the way back the sun even peeked out a bit.

EEisTWH.jpg

I promised Bluey we'll try to make it back on a clear day, hopefully, before he continues on his travels.

Bluey saw a nice bench to soak up some warmth on. (Can you spot him here?)

6XLVXUb.jpg

gOp7Ntn.jpg

Next installment: another bushwalk, and Bluey travels up to the Victorian High Country on a Sambar deer hunt.

oadZjh1.jpg

BycYYMA.jpg

Last edited:
Every time I think I am over the Delica, I see this thread!! And it makes me get mine into the rotation again. Usually what happens is it takes over my pocket for a while!! Great pics! I sure hope Mr brownstone is ok and resurfaces.........

Gizler00 Gizler00 , I agree - the Delica's a fantastic knife. In fact, I'd go so far as to say my VG10 Delica's probably the best overall EDC knife out of my five favourite longest term carries. Having Bluey at hand has been reminding me what a useful general knife the Delica is in that steel.

Well, Bluey's seen a bit of the Victorian bush, since the last instalment.

This is a walk a couple of minutes from my home we checked out.

k44TLit.jpg

FgXm17O.jpg

OhxEZlG.jpg

We went hunting Sambar deer up near Dargo, in the Victorian High Country, about four hours drive away.

dd4w8d8.jpg

The hunt was on private land - we took three good adult eating does.

I didn't use Bluey for dressing out the deer, as we need to quarter and get the meat into cloth bags fast, to avoid the flies - and I didn't want to leave eau de Sambar deer scent on him for the next person!

But Bluey worked well around the camp, and enjoyed the views and the clean mountain air.

fylcg1x.jpg

Here's a couple of pics from earlier this season.

zJNnAxU.jpg

sJKuE6L.jpg

We managed to get out and take a pic in our mountain spot on the east side of Melbourne, during a gap in the dawn mist.

DqIYzUA.jpg

jHt4dxQ.jpg

swviR03.jpg

Well, Bluey's seen a bit of the bush, and unfortunately won't get to see the city, as it's not a good environment for the likes of ol' Bluey.

I'd wanted to take him out West along the Shipwreck Coast, but unfortunately something came up, and we didn't get to make the trip.

And the other knives have been yarning to Bluey of travels farther afield.

Ireland:

IMG_3559.JPG

And one of my Dragonflys has been on a visit back at Bluey's birthplace in Seki, in Japan.

IMG_3517.JPG

So Bluey's getting itchy to travel again, and wonders where the road will take him next?

cQ89jUO.jpg

Last edited:
Any updates on bluey or mr brownstone??

I'm just waiting for MMAR to get back to me with a forwarding address, and Bluey will be heading off shortly to explore another part of the world.:):thumbsup:

It's raining pretty continuously here this weekend, so I don't think I'll get a chance to take Bluey out for a wander today, unfortunately.:(

Original post updated with current miles!
Thanks cambertree--I am just waiting for the next participant to confirm and Bluey will be headed to the US!

Well Bluey spruced himself up on the Sharpmaker and strop, and is ready for new adventures.

7dbAYDs.jpg

Bluey's all packed up and has started the long journey over the Pacific, along with a couple of Aussie coins for luck. All being well, he should be arriving in Colorado, in a little while.

Hmmm...

Colorado?

This should be interesting: could a visit to Golden, and Spydie HQ be on the cards?

Bluey friends and family -
Bluey has arrived safe and sound at my home in Colorado! The coins did indeed bring luck. First thing first, open him up and get him settled in. My GB2 was ready to assist....

20170822_170954.jpg

I just got home from work and needed a snack. Bluey is a fine slicer (with an apparently very fresh edge from Cambertree Cambertree - thanks for that!). Not that a peach is a difficult chore, but that's not the point.

20170822_171559.jpg

Next order of business was to take my dog for his walk (photo is what he's like to live with without a walk - can you say nutz!!)

Crazy English Setter.jpg

So a few glamour shots

20170822_172507.jpg 20170822_172520.jpg

I'll plan on carrying him for a few days. My daily ritual includes a pocket knife, and he'll be called on for whatever tasks may come up. In the mean time, the boys have made a place for him and got him settled in...

20170822_171334.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, as far as plans for Bluey...

I was hoping to get in another hike up one of our nearby "fourteeners" in the state of Colorado, but I will not be able to get out again in the next 2 weeks. However, I do plan on making a quick trip over to Spyderco HQ in Golden - about 5 miles from my office - and showing him around there.

Wow ,
Bluey has actually traveled across the Pacific Ocean and his North American adventure begins .
Have fun Bluey , all of us here in OZ are thinking of you .

Ken

Sorry for being delinquent here... today bluey is going on a hike, then tomorrow is his big day to spydie HQ.

Slight change of plans... I'm sitting in the vet's office (on Labor Day :mad::thumbsdown:) getting my dog patched up. He went down tearing after a squirrel and put some pretty good gashes in his foreleg. I tapped out when I tried to clean him up and could see torn tendons. It needed pro-grade doctorin'.

Back