The Ugly Knife Thread

If you have spent any time on this forum, you will have been exposed to some of the most beautiful knives ever produced, whether it be a modern CAD/CAM design, handmade, factory production, and customs; traditional, modern, folders, fixed blades, multi-tool, etc. Well, now it's time to show us your ugly knives...you know, the ones you leave in the barn year round, buried in a drawer full of junk, the bottom of a bucket filled with nuts and bolts, or simply lost in your safe. Let's see them.

KitchenKnives52100_zps43ea26f4.jpg

Here's a "knife" I find ugly, yet it makes for a fine decorative piece... an artisan piece made from an old railroad spike:

rrspike01.jpg

"The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never."--Oscar Wilde

-Brett

IMG_0292.JPG

MY submission to this thread is the knife on the bottom in this picture. It's the knife I made when I was 14 out of a busted leaf spring, some brass pipe, and a moose antler. I'm fine with it as a knife I made as a kid, but it isn't terribly pretty.

Do you own any?
This thread is supposed to be about pictures of ugly knives you own.

Not just to throw the random names of companies out there. :rolleyes:

True. If you don't own it or have pictures of it or can't even give a model number then what exactly is the relevancy to this thread?

As for me, I don't think I own any knife I think is ugly. I have some knives I truly dislike from a functioning perspective but I don't think they are ugly.

True. If you don't own it or have pictures of it or can't even give a model number then what exactly is the relevancy to this thread?

As for me, I don't think I own any knife I think is ugly. I have some knives I truly dislike from a functioning perspective but I don't think they are ugly.

I'm with you - I don't buy 'em if I don't like the way they look. Thus the reason I don't own one of these:

BU110BRSCB2.jpg

The Blur is an interesting one. I don't really like the 'grip tape' look, and the blade shape doesn't really appeal to me. I will admit that I am curious, due to all the positive reviews.
K-1670RD-Kershaw-Red-Blur.jpg

I'm sure they're fine, I just don't particularly like to look at them. :lol:

Be careful what you say about Blurs there are some people out there that will take it personal and you never know what they will do they are nuts.

I dunno, Chuck... I kinda like 'em! :eek:

-Brett

I am of the same opinion as Brett those actually look quite nice.

I was thinking the same. They definitely have a lot of character.

Hhhmm I actually like them. It's almost like how you can love an ugly dog. These are 52100 and made from ball bearing races. They take and hold that aggressive edge and they're pretty useful in the kitchen. The smith who made these used the most basic equipment. It was actually I who suggested the HT protocol which he resisted at first. Heat until non-magnetic then quench. Then temper down a bit. Seemed to have worked good. :)

Back