The Ultimate tactical Hawk...?

OK guys. I think I am ready to drop about $250ish on a hawk. I want one that will last forever and be just down right nasty! I have looked at the RMJ, all the variations of wood-handled, MMHW, SOG, American, Benchmade, etc...
Am I missing any? I think I want to go with the MMHW #3 or the longer one (I wonder if he'll make it a tiny bit longer) or the American Tomahawk Long. Opinions, comments?

Last edited:
I have a couple of traditional types and want something a bit more sinister.

Definately check out Vec's hawks! :thumbup:

CIMG00821.jpg

CIMG40524.jpg

5.jpg

I have a bunch of hawks and If I had to pick a more modern design than a traditional hawk. I would probale go RMJ

On the other hand the hawk I use the most is a spike hawk from Steve at coal creeck he will make any design you like and wood hafts are cheap and easily to aquire.

Last edited:
Want intimidating and useable? Check out Vec's newer Daisy Cutter heads on the new composite shafts.

I have some of the one piece (all steel with handle slabs) hawks and I'll tell you that you won't carry it very far! They are very heavy and any long term use will wear you out. A composite handle like the VEC Hawk is much easier to carry and use for extended time. My Swamp Rat was very heavy, but my MMHW is even heavier. Let us know what you end up with.

Why is no one mentioning the VTAC???

The VTAC is the hawk to have if you want to do hand-to-hand combat. This is the combat hawk by which all combat hawks are measured!!! This is the main one being used by our military units, like the Stryker Brigades.

Military2.jpg

I just bought my 2nd VTAC about a week ago. This newer one has a better (in my opinion, although it can be argued it just 'looks' better) finish, and a re-designed sheath for quicker deployment. This is a picture of the 1st one I bought a couple of years ago... the newer one looks better, I just haven't gotten a picture of it yet.

ATCVTAC.jpg

i say those modern tactical hawks are expensive breaching tools that look like a small hawk.

I think what I am looking for is something longer. I would say around 18-19+ inches. Some of the shorter ones like Vtac are nice, but not as long as I would like. I would want it to be used for light chopping also. That's the one reason I didn't go with the GGAZ first because of the shape of the blade. I keep leaning toward the Benchmade or the MMHW (looks nasty in a good way).

Back