The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also done the Forum knife before;) and every year have bought 2. Why do you feel this year should be a limit of 1?
With that said, I understand there comes a point where we can only get so many made. There has already been mention of others announcing on FB and such. Maybe offer it to members who were here before the announcement? Just thinking out loud here and I'm good with whatever the people in charge decide to do.:thumbsup:

I just want all of us who participate in the forum to have a fair shot. It’s a forum knife for forum users, not meant as an easy way to pocket some $$. FB groups all got word of this and are scrambling to get their BF account and post count up before a criteria is setup. It just feels weird to see them posting bladeforums screenshots explaining what you need to do to get one. Rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it’s just time I leave those groups on FB. It’s all buy sell and flip, not much conversation like we have here. Just my 2 cents.

I just want all of us who participate in the forum to have a fair shot. It’s a forum knife for forum users, not meant as an easy way to pocket some $$. FB groups all got word of this and are scrambling to get their BF account and post count up before a criteria is setup. It just feels weird to see them posting bladeforums screenshots explaining what you need to do to get one. Rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it’s just time I leave those groups on FB. It’s all buy sell and flip, not much conversation like we have here. Just my 2 cents.
I’ll be honest, I am symbolic of the problem you speak of. Here I’ve been more of a sideline type so I have no posts to speak of until know. It was through a couple people I’ve built relationships on there urging me to get active. With SFO’s “going away” I didn’t think a forum knife was a possibility. Would it make sense for someone like me to get one over seasoned vets, no. An opportunity for one would be appreciated though.

I’ll be honest, I am symbolic of the problem you speak of.

no problem! I hope everyone gets more involved. Myself included! I think more people is a good thing for the hobby. I just know this knife has a lot of interest, and a decent number of people will see this as a quick way to turn a dollar. Limiting to one knife stops that, or at least slows it down a little. This is the one chance we have to “control the drop” on some nice knives. I’m aware my old man rant about selling is verging on frowned upon territory in these parts. So I’ll stop there. No matter how it all turns out after the dust settles we’re getting a forum knife again and I couldn’t be happier about it. Glad to be here.

If there is a poll on options for handles, I will vote to let Charlie and Bill figure it out.
@waynorth, I think the outpouring of thanks in this thread alone makes it clear how grateful members here are for your efforts on these annual knives. We don't take it for granted. I think the concensus is clear that we are grateful to have the proposed knife regardless of some of the other details (cover materials, for example). That said, one thing that makes the forum knife feel a little special is that the members here (traditionally or ideally) have had an opportunity to influence its final form.

COVERS
So while I'll be grateful for anything, it would be amazing if members could have a voice in the covers. It seems that as long as we don't get crazy eccentric (narwhal tusk, or Turquoise dyed maple burl, lol), it wouldn't be too hard to ask for something (a regularly used micarta, wood or colored sawcut). And if that could happen, then, eventually we could do a poll. Perhaps it coukd even be that Bill gives us 4 options that he's good with and we select one. Again, if that doesn't feel like a reasonable "ask" when the time comes, I think we'd all survive.

FINAL FINISHING

Another example could be the finishing of the covers. GEC is going to have to finish them one way or another. If we could provide input, again, that would be amazing. Below are comparison pictures. The barlows on the left have been rounded on the sides and the butt, while the examples on the right have a more squared-off chamfered treatment. When sawcut is used, we only see the chamfered look. But with bone and wood, it seems GEC does a bit of both (I wonder what they'd do with narwhal :D). If we could weigh in on the finish treatment of the covers, that represents another place (in addition to cover selection) where members could make this feel like "our own" without asking GEC to do anything they weren't already going to do in some fashion.

Thank you for considering.

UQ1i8Kv.jpg

G8Z9ESa.jpg

RKhO4u0.jpg

I’m with you and want everyone to have a fair shot but also share your concerns.
I’m confident it will all work out- we have all the right people on the job!:)

I'll be in for two of these, if not, then I'd be pleased to get the one! :)

@waynorth, I think the outpouring of thanks in this thread alone makes it clear how grateful members here are for your efforts on these annual knives. We don't take it for granted. I think the concensus is clear that we are grateful to have the proposed knife regardless of some of the other details (cover materials, for example). That said, one thing that makes the forum knife feel a little special is that the members here (traditionally or ideally) have had an opportunity to influence its final form.

COVERS
So while I'll be grateful for anything, it would be amazing if members could have a voice in the covers. It seems that as long as we don't get crazy eccentric (narwhal tusk, or Turquoise dyed maple burl, lol), it wouldn't be too hard to ask for something (a regularly used micarta, wood or colored sawcut). And if that could happen, then, eventually we could do a poll. Perhaps it coukd even be that Bill gives us 4 options that he's good with and we select one. Again, if that doesn't feel like a reasonable "ask" when the time comes, I think we'd all survive.

FINAL FINISHING

Another example could be the finishing of the covers. GEC is going to have to finish them one way or another. If we could provide input, again, that would be amazing. Below are comparison pictures. The barlows on the left have been rounded on the sides and the butt, while the examples on the right have a more squared-off chamfered treatment. When sawcut is used, we only see the chamfered look. But with bone and wood, it seems GEC does a bit of both (I wonder what they'd do with narwhal :D). If we could weigh in on the finish treatment of the covers, that represents another place (in addition to cover selection) where members could make this feel like "our own" without asking GEC to do anything they weren't already going to do in some fashion.

Thank you for considering.

UQ1i8Kv.jpg

G8Z9ESa.jpg

RKhO4u0.jpg
I'd vote for the narwhal tusk. :)

Post sceenshots of those FB groups and this discussion in a new separate thread the GBU. More than a few folks will be able to connect the dots on bad actors with that in their pocket. I will start the thread right now.

Charlie, how locked in is Bill to the blade type? An antique styled spear would be great.

Wouldn't it? :thumbsup:

A Northwoods run was done on the #86 frame - called the Heritage Jack and it came with a most excellent spear. In fact, if I recall correctly, the blade was a nice representation of some spear blades on some old jacks. I think Charlie has shown pictures of them before.

All that to say, a spear would look superb on this Barlow but it looks like our blade option is set in stone.

03qHZFV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back