The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say this continues to surprise. We have a tradition of selecting a knife pattern and features by vote, within manufacturer’s limitations, and I don’t think this year is any different

Agreed! Here's my vote: :D

laHRh90.jpg

The scary thing is, I think if the option was a GEC barlow every year. We would have a GEC barlow every year. Probably the same exact knife as pictured. With a caplifter. And a lot of people would probably be very happy.
Yup - a Blade forum exclusive yearly barlow drop would never get boring for me. I'd have to start building boxes to store them all in.

Remember, Bill doesn’t enjoy hounding.
Who does?
Reminds me of a time when a boss I had (a good one) kept making changes to a set of plans I was working on. After the latest change he asked me how long the change would take.
In exasperation I said, "Three weeks."
"Three weeks!!" says he, "How long if I help?"
"Six weeks."
He took the hint, left me alone, and I had it done in a week ;)
Not especially pertinent, but then a lot of this thread isn't either :p
Did I mention that I vote for sawcut Osage?
Regardless of pattern :cool:

The argument about hounding is, of course, a false one because Bill is, to my knowledge, not a participant in Bladeforums nor is he a participant in the voting process. Every GEC forum knife design is finalised before being put to the manufacturer.

But, if those facts suit people, I guess they can adopt them.

The problem is, all of the justifications for having a forum knife and being irate about other clubs poaching ideas etc, completely fall away if this process is no longer the tradition it has always been, and instead becomes the cheapest option to secure a sought after GEC pattern. Just like SFOs became before Bill had had enough.

I doubt this annual tradition would survive long if unabashed greed became its raison d’etre.

In exasperation I said, "Three weeks."
"Three weeks!!" says he, "How long if I help?"
"Six weeks."
He took the hint, left me alone

That’s the quip I dream of unleashing...

The argument about hounding is, of course, a false one because Bill is, to my knowledge, not a participant in Bladeforums nor is he a participant in the voting process.

I think the problem is the uppity go-getters who go out of their way to contact Bill with the honest good intention of getting something accomplished, but in-so-doing needlessly hassle a busy man.

The argument about hounding is, of course, a false one because Bill is, to my knowledge, not a participant in Bladeforums nor is he a participant in the voting process. Every GEC forum knife design is finalised before being put to the manufacturer.

But, if those facts suit people, I guess they can adopt them.

The problem is, all of the justifications for having a forum knife and being irate about other clubs poaching ideas etc, completely fall away if this process is no longer the tradition it has always been, and instead becomes the cheapest option to secure a sought after GEC pattern. Just like SFOs became before Bill had had enough.

I doubt this annual tradition would survive long if unabashed greed became its raison d’etre.

I believe this years BF knife process is in very capable hands....... However, the 2022 BF knife might need a Chairman..........??

If Bill doesn't like being hounded by knife collectors he's built a weird business model.

I mean... the guy elected to get into the business of making small production 19th century traditional slip joints by hand... is that really where you’d say the business model jumped the rails? I’d say anyone who gets to talk to him is lucky to get his time and should probably say “thank you” instead of asking if they can get an SFO with cat dookie micarta and a comb.

If Bill doesn't like being hounded by knife collectors he's built a weird business model.
Nobody likes being hounded!! Bill got into this business, because Knives can be beautiful, and he can see how they should be made!!
And now, he'd like to see Porchenbergers get an annual knife!!
The person that needs to be hounded is Mark Zuckerberg (sp?)!!!
In it for the money, to the detriment of the Universe!!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back