The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are imperfect creatures, and nothing brings out the worst in people like being given a chance to vote on something they want that matters to them. The people to whom it matters little have less to say or say it at a lower amplitude, but for those to whom it is a Big Deal there's more emotion and rancor at disagreement and offense (perceived, or real). Some folks are always dialed-up, but I think many folks here just get amped up because it means something significant to them, which can be a good thing even if it makes it harder to keep things calm and civil.

The real test of the quality of the community is whether we can have heated debates and still walk away from it having made amends for offenses, being content that the process included everyone's participation in a just way, and having the opportunity to continue to commune about things less stress-inducing. It's like a political election in many ways--can we disagree vehemently and still walk away respecting one another as fellow citizens (porch members) in the community?

The last two years of the Forum knife have been unusual because of COVID-19 and its effects upon makers and suppliers. If we get back to the kind of normalcy that we had prior to the pandemic, I hope that the Forum knife discussion will include more options and the opportunity to vote on choices. I'm not even convinced, perhaps Charlie @waynorth can chime in (or perhaps I've missed it), but we may still have some options to vote on for this year's knife; like cover options and blade stamps, even if we don't get to choose a blade pattern or blade shape.

If we can keep goodwill for our volunteers and for the knife-makers who agree to provide us the service, I think we can have many more years of Forums knives. But if the spirit becomes too contentious, or if we begin offending those who have only sought to facilitate bringing a "club knife" to fruition, we could lose (and have almost lost in the past) the tradition that so many have enjoyed--and some from the very beginning!

Try to keep in mind the bigger picture and the generosity of those who are bearing the load before you hit that "post reply" button.

Man, cant we all just be happy there will probably be a forum knife this year? And to boot by one of the forum favorite knifemakers?

In any group there's always someone who enjoys raining on the parade.
I'm ecstatic that Bill Howard has elected to do one of these for us, and that we've had the right forum characters to get this accomplished.
I don't care at all about SFOs, but the forum knife is meaningful to me because I like these forums and 78.7% of the folks who participate.

In any group there's always someone who enjoys raining on the parade.
I'm ecstatic that Bill Howard has elected to do one of these for us, and that we've had the right forum characters to get this accomplished.
I don't care at all about SFOs, but the forum knife is meaningful to me because I like these forums and 78.7% of the folks who participate.

That many?:D;)

People are imperfect creatures, and nothing brings out the worst in people like being given a chance to vote on something they want that matters to them. The people to whom it matters little have less to say or say it at a lower amplitude, but for those to whom it is a Big Deal there's more emotion and rancor at disagreement and offense (perceived, or real). Some folks are always dialed-up, but I think many folks here just get amped up because it means something significant to them, which can be a good thing even if it makes it harder to keep things calm and civil.

The real test of the quality of the community is whether we can have heated debates and still walk away from it having made amends for offenses, being content that the process included everyone's participation in a just way, and having the opportunity to continue to commune about things less stress-inducing. It's like a political election in many ways--can we disagree vehemently and still walk away respecting one another as fellow citizens (porch members) in the community?

The last two years of the Forum knife have been unusual because of COVID-19 and its effects upon makers and suppliers. If we get back to the kind of normalcy that we had prior to the pandemic, I hope that the Forum knife discussion will include more options and the opportunity to vote on choices. I'm not even convinced, perhaps Charlie @waynorth can chime in (or perhaps I've missed it), but we may still have some options to vote on for this year's knife; like cover options and blade stamps, even if we don't get to choose a blade pattern or blade shape.

If we can keep goodwill for our volunteers and for the knife-makers who agree to provide us the service, I think we can have many more years of Forums knives. But if the spirit becomes too contentious, or if we begin offending those who have only sought to facilitate bringing a "club knife" to fruition, we could lose (and have almost lost in the past) the tradition that so many have enjoyed--and some from the very beginning!

Try to keep in mind the bigger picture and the generosity of those who are bearing the load before you hit that "post reply" button.

To be frank, a lot of the heat tends to get generated by the simple fact of whether the proposed knife is a GEC or not. Last year's knife discussion was rather tame by comparison and it was simply because a GEC option was not on the table. (Also, the more options that we have, the more passionate we tend to get (2018 Buck).)

Those of us who are excited about a GEC option get painted in a poor light by those who are disillusioned with the brand - I've never understood why and no one has been able to explain this articulately and without obvious malice. These days, GEC has become a controversial topic and, by default, will extend into our Forum knife discussion as well. Plenty of us are seasoned enough at this point to expect this so it really isn't all that big of deal but it can certainly be off-putting to newer folks.

Ultimately, you either buy the knife or you don't - kind of simple, really.

I vote we set up a poll to vote on selecting the topic of the poll folks would want to set up to vote on.

Let’s not rush into this. I think we need a poll to decide which members will be tasked with setting up the poll to select the topic that we can latter take a poll to approve the said topic. Only then can we consider actually voting in a poll to decide what we want to vote on. :p:p:p:p:p:p:D

That would be nice of you, nice and patriotic.

Wait...ours or yours?
:D:thumbsup:

I’m guessing he meant this one:

Now that we have resolved all those little hiccups ...gather round and lets have a rousing ,hearty but utterly tuneless rendition of Porchenbergs National Anthem..."Porchenbergers Are The Best" accompamied by the The Masssed Pipes and Drums of The 23rd Royal Highland McPorchernburhg McHighland Deserters.

Ahem ....mi mi meee.
Porchenberg Porchenberg is the best.
The Porch is so awesome,
it must be blessed.
Porchenbergers everywhere
Standing or seated.
Porchenbergers Porchenbergers
Can NEVER be defeated.

Maybe a big part is the way message boards differ from an actual conversation. Actual conversation has an immediate back and forth, meanwhile, on a forum, you see something you dont like and you can fill a wall of text on that one thought while the passion is building. Cant do that in real life. Result is, people come off as extreme and absolute. Some people come off as worshipping the ground someone walks on. While someone comes off as thinking that same person isnt fit to lick their boot. Surely, the first person understands the guy is only a knife manufacturer and has immense respect for him due to what hes able to do in that capacity. The second guy no doubt has respect for the guy but maybe no more than the respect than he has for the owner/manager of his favorite restaurant. Witnessing over-the-top zeal for someone that merely makes knives may cause some repulsion from someone with the preconception that, in the scheme of things, a knife manufacturer isnt that important.

Last year's knife discussion was rather tame by comparison
That was nice, wasn't it?
Probably why it was the very first Forum Knife I purchased while passing on the previous ones. It felt more like a representation and celebration of the forum, rather than just a chance to grab a hot commodity that nobody else could have.

disillusioned with the brand
I love the brand... but absolutely hate the availability and lolliscrambles... enough to keep me away.
So, I'm a little disillusioned as a whole, but still look at them with lust in my eye. :eek: :D

That was nice, wasn't it?
Probably why it was the very first Forum Knife I purchased while passing on the previous ones. It felt more like a representation and celebration of the forum, rather than just a chance to grab a hot commodity that nobody else could have.

I love the brand... but absolutely hate the availability and lolliscrambles... enough to keep me away.
So, I'm a little disillusioned as a whole, but still look at them with lust in my eye. :eek: :D

i think that’s fair. What bothers me is when people put down a brand due to the difficulty of purchase. I got into GEC when it was a lot easier to obtain them and you could choose from 10+ models on the shelf, so the lollyscramble isn’t lost on me.

To that end, you don’t see me saying Alber’s Cutlery is nothing special just because I’ve struck out on each and every “drop” he’s had. ;) Something about not hating the player...

You can only get glowing bones from Chernobyl and my home state of New Jersey, though.

Crescent moon shield.
We’re done here folks.
Now, someone from the internet call Bill and tell him what to do and also ask why they aren’t done already.

See everyone, this is what collaboration looks like. Group hug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back