The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean... the guy elected to get into the business of making small production 19th century traditional slip joints by hand... is that really where you’d say the business model jumped the rails? I’d say anyone who gets to talk to him is lucky to get his time and should probably say “thank you” instead of asking if they can get an SFO with cat dookie micarta and a comb.

I mean... That's the silliest thing I've read in a long time. The guy's not a god, his time is no more valuable than anyone else's, he's not building 19th century knives, he's building expensive replicas -- sort of. Not to mention that if 'he' did build the knife you describe that there'd be sixteen of them on the exchange the same day at four times the original price, and three hundred pages of people bellyaching about flippers since they didn't get in on the act.

GEC's business model drives a lot of the stuff that you all complain about.

A little perspective would be healthy.

Nobody likes being hounded!! Bill got into this business, because Knives can be beautiful, and he can see how they should be made!!
And now, he'd like to see Porchenbergers get an annual knife!!
The person that needs to be hounded is Mark Zuckerberg (sp?)!!!
In it for the money, to the detriment of the Universe!!:mad:

Really? Somehow or another Zuckerberg is involved in the Blade Forums knife?

Seriously folks, let it go. GEC and 'Bill' aren't the center of the universe. The GEC worship that happens here just ignores 600 years of folding knife history.

A little perspective would be healthy.

He’s not a god and if you think his business is an issue there’s several other threads where you can shout at the clouds. The man does, however, deserve a little respect which is earned by dedicating himself to what we care about. Sometimes this takes the form of us not pestering him.

The fact he’s making a forum knife for us should be celebrated and appreciated, and anyone who wants to dump on him can go find a more appropriate thread. He certainly doesn’t need to do this, and it’s a kindness he’s showing us.

How’s that for perspective?

Agreed! Here's my vote: :D

laHRh90.jpg
That is a really nice looking knife, even without any glitter. I can be very happy with this knife.

I enjoy the details, nuance and subtleness, of things. One of the reasons I stumbled into traditionals.
Waynorth in an earlier thread described the complicated process of manufacturing the beautiful bolster Bill designed for our knife. I assume this is an original design? Camillus also opened my eyes to intricacies of melding bolster to handle and design I never in my humble experience ever appreciated. I’m curious to know more about this bolster, which is the hallmark of a Barlow. Is it an original creation by Bill or inspired by some vintage Barlow? How thoughtful either way.
When I at last have my three or four 2021 BF knives in hand , I hope to know these things and more.

Wait did you say barlow every year? Sign me up please! :D

Uh uh No!;)

That sounds like the sort of thing CASE can descend to: variations on the same boring and often kitschy theme, 'collectors' special' :eek: but it won't be limited to 5000 pieces;) No doubt a lot of people would like it though, stops the bickering and the need to think....about knives:D

Good Meako: resist the temptation to go biblical for it may offend some people.
Bad Meako: ayyyr whadda you care? Ya know ya could get miles outta that one...c'marn just go fer it...
Good Meako: nohh!.. there is a far more worthy task for you....has your destiny not been shown to you (via pm) from the Great Helmsman himself ?...
Bad Meako: No not him...not the helmsman! Not that....not ...the label!...nooooo whataworld whattaworld....iiiim meelllltiiing....
I'm glad we're not enemies!!:eek:

:D:D
not yet anyway...but then I haven"t started the assignment either..:eek::):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some horses sure grew high around here...
Sorry about that- some things just don’t sit well for me and one of those happens to be needlessly bashing a guy who’s doing us a favor and his only crime is making a popular product. I hope anyone who engages in that elects to pass over the 2021 BF knife on principle.

This annual thread never ceases to both amaze and disappoint me, as one of the nicest places on the Internet suddenly turns a bit dark.

Sincere thanks to Charlie for his efforts in making this happen, and thanks to all the volunteers who've graciously volunteered their time and energy despite the grousing and grumbling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back