The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2022 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Grenock

Platinum Member
Would be fitting if Nathan made the forum knife one year since, aside from Spark, he is maybe the only guy that can bring the whole site to a screeching halt, as witnessed every other Friday.

Unfortunately, I think there are a bunch of reasons, both real and imagined, that will prevent this from happening, the greatest of which will be wadded panties.

Richard338

Gold Member
Would be fitting if Nathan made the forum knife one year since, aside from Spark, he is maybe the only guy that can bring the whole site to a screeching halt, as witnessed every other Friday.

Unfortunately, I think there are a bunch of reasons, both real and imagined, that will prevent this from happening, the greatest of which will be wadded panties.
Just so they feel included, in order to be eligible, anyone who wants one of these $99 integral shivs has to make at least 1000 posts in the Traditional subforum over the next few months.

abbydaddy

Gold Member
I have to say, as someone who has participated in the past seven traditional subforum knives processes, that it really might be a good idea (if this actually went anywhere) to not make it a "Bladeforums" knife and make it a "CPK Forum" knife so that "gatekeeping" is a little more manageable. It would also allow more freedom for Nathan in regards to price and purchasing conditions. I know that the last few GEC made forum knives have really turned the Porch into a charlie foxtrot.

Incorporating the "Bladeforums" name into a design brings conditions from Spark (who understandably doesn't want others profiting from his IP). But if there was just a 2022 CPK community knife, then a preorder process might work relatively smoothly (since CPK already has systems in place for such presales). Especially if there is no price constraint on CPK, so that there would be (potentially) less need for restrictive gatekeeping.

Trying to have a reduced price club knife for the traditional subforum seems to really make some people cranky about the "gatekeeping."

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't see any benefit to bringing bladeforums into the equation at all.

Just do something for the sub-forum if that's what Nate and Jo feel like doing. It will proft them and those who care to purchase.

There's no need for any official sanctioning in my view. Why complicate things?

fonedork

Gold Member
I don't see any benefit to bringing bladeforums into the equation at all.

Just do something for the sub-forum if that's what Nate and Jo feel like doing. It will proft them and those who care to purchase.

There's no need for any official sanctioning in my view. Why complicate things?
This is a rational, well-made point. Personally, I like the idea of a CPK forum knife since they are my favorite knives, and this sub is pretty much where I hang out on the site.

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a rational, well-made point. Personally, I like the idea of a CPK forum knife since they are my favorite knives, and this sub is pretty much where I hang out on the site.

Well yeah. But, aren't all CPKs pretty much a CPK forum knife? I mean functionally. I'm trying to grock this forum knife concept. It seems to me that a "commemorative 2022 CPK forum knife" is a bit of a reach.

I understand the concept of a Bladeforums knife. And if people want me to make one, I think I would be glad to.

Apparently this last go-around turned into a huge clusterfuck. Obviously I don't want to step in any of that. And if people are expecting slip joints, I don't make slip joints. But if people think it's a good fit I'm happy to participate, but only if it makes sense for everyone involved. I don't know who coordinates these nor do I have a good feel for people's expectations. I'm just keeping an open mind. But a "CPK forum knife" is off the table, all of our knives are CPK forum knives. As I see it.

Grenock

Platinum Member
I like a CPK sub forum knife more than a CPK BF knife. Way too many people to please with the forum wide thing that will leave way too many people displeased with the whole process. I can cite an example if need be.

Diving into this hypothetical deeper, there should be some criteria, so what should they be?
- X number of posts in the sub prior to this thread?
- membership level or length of membership?
- Pre-order or keyboards ablazin' sale?

Lastly, to take the crappy part of this whole thing off Nathan and Jo's plate so they can just make knives, ship knives and collect cash, who is gonna hold the horns on this goat while we pass it around and vet the requirements, whatever they may be? It's gonna take a real a-hole to make sure no one slips through that shouldn't.

Edit - Just like that, Nathan speaks and you all can disregard anything I said, that's pretty typical, actually!

fonedork

Gold Member
Well yeah. But, aren't all CPKs pretty much a CPK forum knife? I mean functionally. I'm trying to grock this forum knife concept. It seems to me that a "commemorative 2022 CPK forum knife" is a bit of a reach.

I understand the concept of a Bladeforums knife. And if people want me to make one, I think I would be glad to.

Apparently this last go-around turned into a huge clusterfuck. Obviously I don't want to step in any of that. And if people are expecting slip joints, I don't make slip joints. But if people think it's a good fit I'm happy to participate, but only if it makes sense for everyone involved. I don't know who coordinates these nor do I have a good feel for people's expectations. I'm just keeping an open mind. But a "CPK forum knife" is off the table, all of our knives are CPK forum knives. As I see it.
Yeah, I misspoke as I meant a CPK-made "forum knife" that says "bladeforums," did not intend to propose a special "CPK forum" stamp.

Grenock

Platinum Member

I can't imagine you want the headache of that project even if asked, Nathan.

bluemax_1

Gold Member
A purpose built CPK Neck Knife...

...Now that would be worth hanging around for!

23f0eaf1-cabc-4508-9d70-60a45878dec1-large16x9_HangingphotobyAnjaOsenberg.jpg
Definitely down for a CPK neck knife (pretty sure Lorien Lorien has mentioned working on one).

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
Definitely down for a CPK neck knife ...
I've got more neck knives than I can remember. I started several makers down that road over the years, including Murray Carter, 15 years ago or more.

I've had a few from Fred Perrin and Rob Simonich for 20+ years and several others dating back to the early to mid 90's.

The one I seem to carry the most these days is this one that Darrel Ralph surprised me with one day in S90V:

Darrel Ralph Neck Knife.jpg