The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2022 forum knife possibility discussion thread

I've got more neck knives than I can remember. I started several makers down that road over the years, including Murray Carter, 15 years ago or more.

I've had a few from Fred Perrin for 20+ years and several others dating back to the early to mid 90's.

The one I seem to carry the most these days is this one that Darrel Ralph surprised me with one day in S90V:

View attachment 1656398
A Magnacut CPK neck knife would be sweet!

A little bird and trout CPK would be great, and as a bonus, it would be perfectly acceptable as a traditional knife over in the Traditional sub-forum. I know that there are plenty of folks hungry for a traditional fixed blade as the forum knife over there.

It certainly feels like a fantasy to me at this point, but it would be pretty great for me if the 2022 knife (if there ever is such a beast) was a collaboration between the two subfora that I spend the most time on.

I've made traditional knives before. Some people would consider that Kephart "traditional"
While I still think this is an endeavor better left to someone else, for a multitude of reasons, lets take the idea for a stroll. One major problem I see for you, Nathan, is the price point. In my limited experience with the forum knife, I think it is generally the expectation that it will be $100 or preferably less. the 2020 knife was a little more than that if I recall. and I think it was a problem for some. This year's GEC was $100. Second, would be the numbers, and this will work in conjunction with the first problem in a minute. This year there were supposedly 500 knives made and it apparently wasn't anywhere near enough. I think several hundred of the Vipers were sold the year before, so, it would be a fairly sizable run I would imagine.

So, just on those two alone, Nathan, is there a design and material spec that you could run in that quantity at or around the $100 price point and not loose your ass or mind in the process?

Back