The Unofficial, Official Blade Show 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Southern Gent, May 2, 2018.

1. LavaWood

LavaWood Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 13, 2014
    201E7B4B-1D73-47D5-9296-F2794668913C.jpeg That K&T purple warthog is the 5H!t.

This found me in the pit.
    109CD0E4-ED2A-4826-8139-5CFAF43A9EED.jpeg
    4BE5BF1E-6D3A-4B7F-8432-CB438C5A98CF.jpeg

Something Obscene Company Camprobber, Cpm 3v, dark deep acid etch finish. Mirror finish edge. BeyondWoodProducts Shokwood riding on purple g10 liners

That’s soap I found in Savannah:
    96119EA5-2C64-4ECE-B047-9FE91949D0A4.jpeg

This blew my mind:

B4570690-9EC1-4349-BA20-6DC86C368D4D.jpeg

Along the way:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    jaz322, Bmurray, pertinux and 7 others like this.
  2. Wondering Wildcat

Wondering Wildcat

Oct 8, 2014
    Home to KY in the wee hours of the morning and tonight Finally home to Ohio and able to lay out my Blade Show Haul. The group photo is missing a Bodner miniature that I have given to my mother for her birthday earlier today, but I managed to snap a few pictures of it at the show before wrapping it up tho.

scaled blade show.jpg

The first purchase for me was this TK11 Wharnie in D2 with Moonglow scales by Tom Krein. The hollow ground blade slices like a razor and made short work of the apple I brought for a snack Friday morning.
    scaled TK moonglow1.jpg

here it is at night after a brief charge from my flashlight Friday before heading to the pit (pls excuse the smudgy blade...I was in a rush, and might have had a few already ;-)
    scaled TK moonglow.jpg

Second was not a planned stop, but the Bradley Knives table caught my eye and this little necker was calling my name. I've tried many different neck knives over the years and all have been a little too tactical for me, this one with the Alligator tooth handle, Sugalite spacer and emu leather sheath was right up my alley. After talking to Andy and Phillip and being presented the GA Knifemakers guild Scavenger Hunt paper I noticed that Bradley was on the sheet and I made many more trips back to his table to chat. In the photo the sheath is hanging from my bootlace, I'll have to acquire it a proper leather lanyard to hang by soon.
    IMG_7440.jpg

After venturing into the second room I ran into a seller who buys collections that I know from the Indiana Gun shows and I picked up a few nice examples of first and second generation Russell Barlows. I had been tempted by a few of these at local shows and online in the past, but there are so many that are fakes I thought these two would be nice to study on. The first gen is pretty rough, but I'd imagine I'd be too if I was nearly a century old.
    scaled russell barlow.jpg

Now into a purchase that I have been eyeing for some time. I remember seeing this knife pop up on Olde Towne's website a while back and had not thought about it being at the show, when I stopped by to chat with them Lee pulled this one out and put it into my hands and said "you will like this"...of course he was right. My hunt for a mammoth fixed blade was over. Or perhaps a collection just starting. That is yet to be determined. This WA Surls Loveless New York Special in CMP154 is one of the most beautiful mammoth scaled knives I have ever seen. I have been on the hunt for some time and had considered commissioning one from another maker, but it is very hard to find one that's matching on both sides, and that isn't splintered. Allen has done a fine job on this and the tapered tang is stunning (as to be expected as this is one of his knives submitted for acceptance into the GA knifemakers guild.) I beyond proud to have it in my collection.
    scaled Surls New York Loveless.jpg

My last purchase before heading outside to watch the blade sports competition Saturday was this beautiful little Rabbits Foot that Kyle made in 3/32 Cryo treated CPM154. I actually came back to visit it many times over the first two days and was surprised it was still there. I am a sucker for natural scales, and that blue green resin made it pop so well and accentuates the natural wood grain beautifully. It is very different than any fixed blade that I own and thats a big part of why I like it. It has a lot of attitude. Had I not held it in person I would have never known how comfortable it is in the hand and I can't wait to make a sheath for this one so I can add it to my EDC rotation.
    scaled Rabbits Foot.jpg

I don't recall where the little Bodner miniature fits into my purchases, and I don't have a very good picture of it, but this little thing is too awesome not to share. At under 3" OAL this little thing was impressive enough, but it holds a little secrete, the eyelet that it hangs from pulls out to reveal another tiny knife...complete with jimping and also quite sharp! Since the scales were pearl; I deemed it worthy for my mothers jewelry box ;-) she has claimed a few of my prettiest little knives in the past, but now she has her own. LoL
    scaled bodner 2.jpg scaled bodner.jpg

All in all Blade Show was a blast, I'll admit most of the weekend was full of sensory overload, meeting new folks, putting faces to names that I have seen only online and un-expectantly reconnecting with an old friend that I hadn't seen in 16 years.

Throughout the weekend I made many MANY stops by the Fiddleback Forge table and the Fiddleback Outpost, it was priceless to be able to hold and compare some of the styles of Fiddlebacks that I have eyed in the past. This will make it so much easier to commit when I see a handle pattern I love pop up on Fridays and in the Flea Market. Altho, I don't think I would have been disappointed with any of them since every one is so beautifully crafted and comfortable. Above all it was great meeting the makers of the knives I have grown to love. To spend time with you guys was great, its nice knowing some of the personality that goes into crafting these blades.

3. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill

Nov 13, 2007
    Some nice hauls

Odaon likes this.
  4. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I'll have to do a follow-up or two to this but here's a hotel desk pic of Day 1 and Day 2 Damage. Top to bottom and left to right:
    • Flexxx Strops set
    • Fiddleback Babyboot w/ blue dyed Maple Burl 1/8" TT
    • Spyderco Lil Native w/ compression lock
    • Bradford USA Guardian 3 (my random walkabout find where you get to "build a knife")
      • full height grind, a distressed finish, Vanadis 4E steel (64 Rockwell), black canvas 3D scales, tumbled finish hardware
    • Hinderer XM-18 Slipjoint Slicer Orange G-10
    • Fiddleback Garotte w/ Black Bolstered Ruby 1/8" TT
    • Koenig Arius w/ Red Black Carbon Fiber, lightening pockets, CTS-XHP steel
    • Hinderer Extreme Duty Spiral Modular Pen, Stainless Steel
    • Tuff-Writer Mini-Click Blackout
    • Olight I1R EOS (5 / 130 lumen, USB rechargeable)
    Blade Scores 1.jpg

I don't have pics yet of items from Day 3 Damage but they include:
    • Fiddleback EDC II w/ Tangerine over black and white 1/8" TT
    • Bradford Knives extra set of scales in black & blue G10, with DLC hardware and takedown tool
    • Olight 1500 lumen M2R Warrior
    • Tuff-Writer Mini-Click in brushed titanium

For a friend, I grabbed
    • WA Surls Patch w Desert Ironwood over Natural and White 3/32" A2
    Blade 18 Patch.jpg

And on the drive home (technically still on the Blade trip :)) I snagged a great deal on eBay
    • Hinderer XM-18 3" Flipper Slicer w Orange G-10

5. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Killer haul. :thumbsup: Glad to have met you in person finally!

Lady1911, Choppaman and Warrior108 like this.
  6. Dragonflybladewrks

Dragonflybladewrks

Apr 12, 2018
    Everyone, it was so good to meet so many of the Fiddleback family at Blade this year. Thank you for the wonderful time and all of the encouragement! I'm looking forward to seeing all of you next year!

7. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Here are the knives that came home with me from Blade Show 2018...

Sylvrfalcen - Dyed Ash
    ED Karda - Lacewood
    Cohutta Tellico - Bog Oak

This was the first time I met @Cohutta (super nice guy), first Cohutta knife purchase, and my first Bog Oak. upload_2018-6-6_21-13-35.gif

[​IMG]

Bmurray, Warrior108, prom52 and 10 others like this.
  8. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    I like that Tellico, I need to pick up a Cohutta knife.

Lady1911, jaz322, Nbrackett and 3 others like this.
  9. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    yep

Lady1911, Nbrackett and Choppaman like this.
  10. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The scavenger hunt for maker’s booths was WORK! The folks I visited for signatures appreciated Fiddleback’s effort to get them some exposure. Met some great makers and beautiful knives along the way. Congrats to the winner of the GAW knife!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Lady1911 and Choppaman like this.
  11. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    @VANCE any leftover Fiddleback shirts?

12. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I handled a few at the show, but as soon as that Tellico was in my hand, I could tell there was something different about it. I've never held a Fiddleback-family knife that didn't feel good, but the Tellico felt really good; almost melted into my hand.

13. Halfneck

Halfneck Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2005
    RobbieB - nice score on that Sylvrfalcen. I picked that one up once or twice admiring it.

14. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    No shirts this year
    Sorry

15. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Fixed blade haul from Blade Show.

TM Hunt Hedghog
    WA Surls Nomad
    Cohutta Utility
    Fiddleback Lil Lady

[​IMG]

Bmurray, Phill50, PolRoger and 8 others like this.
  16. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    It's very difficult to pick a favorite among that group!

Lady1911 likes this.
  17. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    It’s taken me a little longer than usual to post anything about the show this year because It was very different than any in years past, but not in a bad way, just different. Not unlike Andy’s post, this Blade turned out to be a very special one for me because the experience literally consisted of me focusing 100% of my time on the people there and 0% chasing down the “got to have” it blade.

Typically, the week leading up to the show I’m plotting out my course of action for the weekend and touching base with all those friends both new and old that I want to meet up with at some point during the weekend. This year on Wednesday two days prior to the show, I wasn’t even sure if I was going to be able to attend. I had what I thought was a minor surgery a couple of weeks prior, which developed an infection and I had spent much of the previous week on my back. I was very fortunate to have Orion fly in on Thursday and Sergio and his family come by that evening for a visit at my house. Seeing them and having the excitement build was a rallying point for me and I resolved myself that I was going to suck it up if need be.

Meeting a lot of the forum members I’ve previously only spoken with using screen names is always a pleasure, catching up with those I can only see once or twice a year is an exceptional treat and continuing to grow relationships with those I have now been able to call friend for several years or more now is irreplaceable. Blade has also become something Madden looks forward to attending each year and the pleasure I get from watching his eyes go wide as he takes everything in and see where his interests lead him this year is indescribable. I also really enjoy watching his interactions with the folks that may only see him once or twice a year. The Fiddleback dinner was especially special because my wife could join for the first time and get to meet a number of people in this crazy group and she finally realized it’s not a secret society with me being the sole member. As always, the pit was…well the pit and every bit as entertaining as the show floor.

I may have only been at 75-80% for this Blade show, but it is one that will stand out in my mind for many years to come. Special thanks to Sergio for being a great long-distance friend and giving me one of the best gifts I’ve received in recent memory and to Orion for helping me get through the weekend. For fear of leaving anyone out, I’ll give a shout out and virtual fist bump to everyone else I had the pleasure of spending some time with throughout the weekend. I could spend several pages going through all the highlights of the weekend, but in-order-to spare anyone who has come this far along in this post all I can say is that you should circle the date on your calendar today for Blade 2019. Make it a priority and not an afterthought or a “wish I could” moment. With this crew, the sacrifices needed to attend are well worth it. I was so engrossed in the environment I all but forgot to take any photos. Here are a couple of my favorites though.

IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3096.JPG

Nbrackett, Odaon, VANCE and 1 other person like this.
  18. angryirish87

angryirish87

Dec 20, 2016
    I got this right before I was asked to leave. I had my service dog with me (120lb Czech shepherd) and apparently he made some people “nervous”... That’s code for “your dog looks aggressive so it must be”.

Attached Files:

19. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Thanks again for having me! You definitely made the trip and process really easy and made my first Blade something to remember for more than just Blade Show. I always enjoy spending time with you, Madden, Bruno, and Kristi.

We'll see about next year... it'll fall a week before our wedding... I'd love to make it though!

Southern Gent likes this.
  20. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    @Odaon I think for next year we could set something up real nice in the pit for you and Marney. I can just see it now, the two of you coming down the escalator and getting hitched under the lights of the Waverley. Just think of all the cool, sharp wedding gifts you guys would receive.