The Upcoming and Past Toothpick Thread

20190508-193035.jpg

@Lansky1
Agreed.

After a quick polishing...ready for pocket wear :)
View attachment 1124612

What a difference that bit of polish makes! I am definitely not in the brushed/satin camp, especially when it is paired with wood. Unfortunately, this looks like it is becoming a bit of a trend for GEC. I understand that due to their processes, the brushed look likely produces less seconds and/or waste but it still falls flat for me.

Once I get my Che Chen in (next day or two), I will likely give it a bit of polish as well.

What a difference that bit of polish makes! I am definitely not in the brushed/satin camp, especially when it is paired with wood. Unfortunately, this looks like it is becoming a bit of a trend for GEC. I understand that due to their processes, the brushed look likely produces less seconds and/or waste but it still falls flat for me.

Once I get my Che Chen in (next day or two), I will likely give it a bit of polish as well.

It is interesting the different ways we view things...…. My avatar is a picture of my truck..... I am not a fan of chrome and spent ~$1500 for the painted option to delete the chrome...… I have owned 1959 & 1960 Cadillacs which have enough chrome to give even diehard chrome lovers a lifetime fix...… So I am tickled to death that GEC did the bolsters in a satin motif...…. It is elegant looking without being overpowering or garish...…...

It is interesting the different ways we view things...…. My avatar is a picture of my truck..... I am not a fan of chrome and spent ~$1500 for the painted option to delete the chrome...… I have owned 1959 & 1960 Cadillacs which have enough chrome to give even diehard chrome lovers a lifetime fix...… So I am tickled to death that GEC did the bolsters in a satin motif...…. It is elegant looking without being overpowering or garish...…...

I very much understand what you are getting at. I think, especially when it comes to automobiles, that a matte finish can look absolutely superb. I like chrome but am of the firm belief that "less is more". Chrome, when done tastefully and subtly, can make for an immensely classy car. I am in the middle of a frame up restoration of a 1971 Ford F100. I am not quite at the point where I will be selecting replacement trim options yet, but I can assure you, the chrome will be very minimal.

That said, I think that the satin/brushed look that GEC has been applying to a select number of bolster and shields gives the appearance of an unfinished knife, especially when paired with wood covers. The only time that I find it somewhat suitable is when it is paired with micarta. But since I do not prefer micarta on my traditional slip joints, the point becomes moot when it pertains to my acquisitions.

Unfortunately, as is the same with matte paint finishes on cars, the brushed finish is more prone to scuffs, scratching, and marking in general and they are far more visible when they do appear. That alone is reason enough for me to dislike that particular finish on my knives.

But, as you say, different strokes for different folks and all that.

I received my first Toothpick today and as usual, when it comes to a new knife, particularly one that is a new pattern, I like to give some thoughts on it.

The Toothpick pattern is one that has rarely caught my interest. It isn't that I find the knife unattractive, I just am not generally drawn to knives with slender profiles and too many curves. I find beauty in subtle simplicity and I think the Toothpick is anything but that. I initially was going to take a pass on GEC's current production of these but the cover/shield options, favorable opinions of other folks, and the simple fact that I am still into trying new things, I decided to take the plunge.

This first example is with Che Chen Rosewood covers, brushed nickel bolsters, and a serpentine shield.

• Fit and Finish: Another remarkable knife from GEC. Their last few production runs (85s excepted...) have been notably consistent in terrific fit and finish. Seamless transitions, excellent inlet of the shield, perfect blade centering, it is pretty hard for me to find any issues here. Very well done.
  • Walk & Talk/Pull: This knife has no half stop and so I was a little concerned that the pull would be on the lighter side. I am rather surprised and quite pleased to say that the pull is pretty darn perfect and the snap to both open and closed positions is quite satisfying and this is before any sort of flushing has occurred! Bearing in mind that pull weights are subjective, I'd rate this at about a 6, maybe closer to a 7. Very satisfactory, hard to imagine that it could be better.
  • Covers: Che Chen Rosewood is, in my opinion, a rather unremarkable wood. It is not displeasing but neither does it elicit any sense of wonder or awe like other more exotic woods. So I was not expecting anything spectacular, just good straight grained, utilitarian wood. The wood I received is quite good, all things considering. The brushed finish on the bolsters and shield do a significant disservice to an already relatively plain wood but this can easily be remedied with a bit of polish. I imagine with some good use and exposure, the wood will darken rather nicely as well.
  • Shield: I was very pleased to find that GEC was not using the hotdog shield on this run. I think the serpentine is a nice change and suits the lines of the knife rather well.
  • Blade: As mentioned above, a perfectly centered muskrat (turkish?) clip blade that is executed very well in its grinds, suitably sharp out of the tube, and not featuring a proud tip.

My overall impressions of this knife are positive. I am still getting a feel for the pattern but so far, it feels good in the hand, I find it to be an excellent size, and I suspect that it will make an effective user. Really though, brushed metal and speculation regarding the pattern aside, this is a pretty darn perfect knife from GEC. I think they did a fabulous job. I am very much looking forward to the other variations, especially the Stag.

Enough of the yapping, here are some pictures:

eeC18SH.jpg

WJSmBfG.jpg

iLM88t7.jpg

uYR6tKU.jpg

0aSNj2E.jpg

And, of course, the parting glamour shot:

MBfUrXJ.jpg

I received my first Toothpick today and as usual, when it comes to a new knife, particularly one that is a new pattern, I like to give some thoughts on it.

The Toothpick pattern is one that has rarely caught my interest. It isn't that I find the knife unattractive, I just am not generally drawn to knives with slender profiles and too many curves. I find beauty in subtle simplicity and I think the Toothpick is anything but that. I initially was going to take a pass on GEC's current production of these but the cover/shield options, favorable opinions of other folks, and the simple fact that I am still into trying new things, I decided to take the plunge.

This first example is with Che Chen Rosewood covers, brushed nickel bolsters, and a serpentine shield.

• Fit and Finish: Another remarkable knife from GEC. Their last few production runs (85s excepted...) have been notably consistent in terrific fit and finish. Seamless transitions, excellent inlet of the shield, perfect blade centering, it is pretty hard for me to find any issues here. Very well done.
  • Walk & Talk/Pull: This knife has no half stop and so I was a little concerned that the pull would be on the lighter side. I am rather surprised and quite pleased to say that the pull is pretty darn perfect and the snap to both open and closed positions is quite satisfying and this is before any sort of flushing has occurred! Bearing in mind that pull weights are subjective, I'd rate this at about a 6, maybe closer to a 7. Very satisfactory, hard to imagine that it could be better.
  • Covers: Che Chen Rosewood is, in my opinion, a rather unremarkable wood. It is not displeasing but neither does it elicit any sense of wonder or awe like other more exotic woods. So I was not expecting anything spectacular, just good straight grained, utilitarian wood. The wood I received is quite good, all things considering. The brushed finish on the bolsters and shield do a significant disservice to an already relatively plain wood but this can easily be remedied with a bit of polish. I imagine with some good use and exposure, the wood will darken rather nicely as well.
  • Shield: I was very pleased to find that GEC was not using the hotdog shield on this run. I think the serpentine is a nice change and suits the lines of the knife rather well.
  • Blade: As mentioned above, a perfectly centered muskrat (turkish?) clip blade that is executed very well in its grinds, suitably sharp out of the tube, and not featuring a proud tip.

My overall impressions of this knife are positive. I am still getting a feel for the pattern but so far, it feels good in the hand, I find it to be an excellent size, and I suspect that it will make an effective user. Really though, brushed metal and speculation regarding the pattern aside, this is a pretty darn perfect knife from GEC. I think they did a fabulous job. I am very much looking forward to the other variations, especially the Stag.

Enough of the yapping, here are some pictures:

eeC18SH.jpg

WJSmBfG.jpg

iLM88t7.jpg

uYR6tKU.jpg

0aSNj2E.jpg

And, of course, the parting glamour shot:

MBfUrXJ.jpg
Very nice write up and great pics as always :):thumbsup: I totally agree this run of 12's has been really well done thus far and this Rosewood version will look better with age.

I agree, big fan of the satin myself

Pàdruig Pàdruig Thanks, Dylan. I always enjoy your thorough reviews coupled with excellent pictures.

I like everything about the knife except for 2 things -- one of which I can easily "fix" (satin finish)

And one I can do nothing about... except not look at it. :D

The serpentine shield wrecks the aesthetics. Its placement in relation to the pins makes it look crooked to my eyes. And I don't mean serpentine crooked; I mean placement crooked. There's really no other placement that would make it not look crooked. It is just OFF. To my eyes, at least.

I really wish GEC would deep-six that shield. I can't imagine a pattern where the serpentine shield would look better than a square bar or round bar shield. But that's just me.

Back