The "Whatever" Thread

Tomorrow is the last day of school for my son. And he has homework tonight. I guess they want to make sure we get our money's worth for his tuition, but damnit it's the last day.

Update to last weeks posts: He made the soccer team he was trying out for. They play August to June, so we've got the summer off from that. But he's playing baseball, swimming, and doing a wrestling camp this summer. The fun never ends.

The girls had their first swim meet of the year this morning. Now it’s time to work in the garden. It’s going to be a scorcher today in CO.

Hope everyone is winding down a great weekend. Despite the rain storms that passed through we had a blast; good food, plenty to drink, good company, a roaring campfire, and excellent fishing. A hot shower felt unbelievable after 3 days of camping. Being away from cel-phone service for a few days was also nice:thumbsup:

I'm considering putting a finish on my Bloodwood-handled Pocket Chef since it gets washed in the sink after every use. I know Boiled Linseed Oil and Tru-Oil are both popular for such uses, but I've never used either product. Would anyone be kind enough to offer up some advice? Pros/Cons of each product, best application procedure, expected look (ie shiny, matte, color darkening, etc). Thanks for any advice, folks. Also, if you have any pictures of wood finished with either product, I'd love to see them.

I use tru oil on my Worker B&T, since it sees the kitchen sink a lot. Three light coats on it, drying between applications, and I’ve not had to reapply in almost a year. Probably wouldn’t do the third coat if I could do it again. Looks nice. No pics, but I’ll try to get on for you tomorrow.

Had a charity golf scramble Friday - got rained out after 7 holes and rode home on the bike in the rain. Yay.

Got pulled into some meeting prep work for my job on Saturday evening, and a meeting at 7am on Sunday. Yay.

Sunday I rode down to Springfield with my PMC buddies for the Mile on Sunday - got rained out after 5 heat races and they lost power at the track. Called off the race until Monday. Yay.

Then I got wrapped up in emergency work for my company - worked 7am Mon to 12:45am Tuesday and had a meeting at 8am Tuesday to go over the work. Yay.

I'll have to scramble today to get some critical work done before I leave for Atlanta to Blade Tomorrow. I'll have to take my PC with me on vacation this time. Yay.

best

mqqn

Another night of no sleep, I start thinking of things, then can't fall asleep. Been up since 4am yesterday morning.
Went to work and finished knives so they already shipped. Got the grass cut before the rain. Might try to take a nap while Connie is sleeping.

Get drunk. Win over Insomnia!

Sorry to hear of your sleep troubles. That sucks.

I was able to get almost everything done, I even sharpened the blades and serviced the mowing deck of my tractor, then got the yard mowed before the monsoons hit. It'll be knee deep on Monday, but at least the weekend it will look trimmed.

Cottonwoods are late this year - it's like they recognize it is too dry to germinate seeds - as soon as we get a good rain it looks like it is snowing.

Pro Tip: when you find large piles of the cottonwood bunched up along a drive or walk etc - light it on fire! Good fun.

best

mqqn

Get drunk. Win over Insomnia!

Sorry to hear of your sleep troubles. That sucks.

I was able to get almost everything done, I even sharpened the blades and serviced the mowing deck of my tractor, then got the yard mowed before the monsoons hit. It'll be knee deep on Monday, but at least the weekend it will look trimmed.

Cottonwoods are late this year - it's like they recognize it is too dry to germinate seeds - as soon as we get a good rain it looks like it is snowing.

Pro Tip: when you find large piles of the cottonwood bunched up along a drive or walk etc - light it on fire! Good fun.

best

mqqn
I don't think I've had a drink since last Fall in Michigan.

best

mqqn
Yup, they go up like ping pong balls..in a flash.
They are in full bloom here. I actually burnt a small pile this morning.
Smells like burnt popcorn too.

More pics from the trails...
It's nice and lush and green out now.
PmlHrFq.jpg

E8tyl2f.jpg

ujbazQq.jpg

slQWhmK.jpg

qwwfrWY.jpg

8i9Y0ue.jpg

rDYUYnu.jpg

w8HcSIt.jpg

c1wcJz8.jpg

TCsuMQ9.jpg

gqFWDrf.jpg

D9iAZZw.jpg

tGwwm8m.jpg

mD1aFPV.jpg

rcYzB2v.jpg

qJneq0I.jpg

Q7PliKc.jpg

W4b2trj.jpg

MwnI9Yb.jpg

And the beautiful Bull Nose with a dropped point and EO notch modified by NJBILL.
DoqTEqB.jpg

Last edited:
Back