Things SOG can do to get back on top.

To Denalipark

We do not use 440 steel in any of our knives. You should check the specs for our knives before making statements like that. The two most prevalent steels that we use are AUS8 and VG-10. There are a few more that we use but those tow cover 90% of our knives. Where you got 440 from I do not know.

Don't worry - this same guy made a fool of himself over on glocktalk.com's knife section, claiming that there's no way his new knife was VG10 because it wasn't marked as such on the blade. He's just a troll who doesn't know anything. He claims that he's been using knives and sharpening knives for x number of years, so he knows everything about knives and the metallurgy of the blades. :jerkit:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877361

Last edited:
The idea of being able to change the handle scales on my Tomcat 3.0 is pretty appealing! I'd definitely spring for some linen micarta's or carbon fiber accessory scales!

I also would love a factory-made pocket-clip option for my 'Cat. My hands are big and ogre-ish(even though i'm average build) so i EDC my 'Cat. A nice wire-framed deep-riding screw-in removable clip would be a nice option too. I can't immediately recommend how it'd work, but it would be nice. Maybe an open-faced Concealex molded sheath, allowing the wearer to remove it by pulling forward and up. Add a reversible clip to it and Oila!: pocket/belt cliup for Tomcat 3.0 without defacing the knife!

Thank you...thank you...i'll be here all year...just send royalties to my PP account, thx :)

It's not easy being a self-proclaimed creative genius.

For the people who think that 440 steel is not good, SOG used back in the day superb 440 steel i have several SOG's that have the 440 steel in one word SUPERB! super quality:thumbup:

i would trust my life on the 440 steel SOG used back in the day :cool:

To start off, Denalipark doesn't know what he's talking about, and it's sad that some people might just believe him in other forums. If he actually kept up to speed with things and researched before buying his knife, he would have realized that there is a lot of AUS 8 pentagons and spec elites still floating around out there, and the VG-10 upgrade was still done recently. Till this day I can't find a 13C26 Sandvik blur from kershaw because Academy has to get rid of their old 440A stock.

Now back to the OP, I think that the Pentagon Elite I and II should be offered in both Plain edge and Combo edge.

I'm not sure who said it earlier, but an official "bushcraft" knife would be a big seller, especially after all of us go and blurt it out in the Wilderness and Survival Skills forum ;).

I think that the Fusion Bowie is an excellent way to get new enthusiasts, low on $, into experiencing form and function.

Once hooked he will look for something better. Most of the world is not able to even afford the Fusion range, and Africa is Okapi country where they can barely afford that. The Chinese stamp hardenend stainless sink metal is very appealing until 3rd sharpening.

Not to flame it up, especially on my very first post, but I've never been a big fan of SOG because they use mostly the cheapest 440 series steels they can lay their hands on! Now thats not true for all of their cutlery, the Vision and X-ray vision come to mind as being rendered in ATS-34 or I think now VG-10. With those rare examples being the exception, everything else seems to be cheap 400 series stainless where in many instances they don't even mark the blade steel because it's so cheap!

Entrek for example uses 440C steel(I love the Merc).
nothing wrong with that.
besides that ,your post is only a punch into the air.
your post seems to have the only goal to bash SOG.
bad try :thumbdn:
(the Sog Seal Team is as slick as a man wants his knife to be,razorsharp,that's my favourite Sog blade)

I scanned through this thread quickly, but I just wanted to say the SOG is one of my favorite production companies. Chris and the rest of the crew are top notch folks. They also make the best multi-tools on the market, IMO. I've put a lot of miles on SOG knives in South America. I have never had a failure. There are some designs I don't care of since they don't fit our style but overall I think SOG has some of the best offerings in the industry. (BTW: Chris, if you need an address to send that endorsement check to just let me know) :D

Rock on, guys. SOG is good stuff!

Jeff

440C? We don't have no 440C? We don't have to show you no stinkin' 440C. Vamonos!

I was taking a moment to re-read this thread from the beginning and had a thought.

I have mixed feelings on serrations on my knives, and I see a lot of people in the early posts felt strongly against them. Many advocate making serrations optional on some models.

This made me want to ask Chris to compare sales on the Seal pup line. Of the total # of seal pups sold, what are the percentages with the different options?

Plain Edge, mirror Polish
Plain Edge, black TiNi
combo edge black TiNi
combo edge Tiger stripe

Personally I do not mind the rasps.

I was taking a moment to re-read this thread from the beginning and had a thought.

I have mixed feelings on serrations on my knives, and I see a lot of people in the early posts felt strongly against them. Many advocate making serrations optional on some models.

This made me want to ask Chris to compare sales on the Seal pup line. Of the total # of seal pups sold, what are the percentages with the different options?

Plain Edge, mirror Polish
Plain Edge, black TiNi
combo edge black TiNi
combo edge Tiger stripe

Personally I do not mind the rasps.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Figure out which ones sell more and try to focus more towards that particular type of product.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Figure out which ones sell more and try to focus more towards that particular type of product.

My problem is that they didn't focus--so for some reason, I've ended up with three of the four options!

I did a quick check and it looks like the SEAL Pup Elite with combo edge and Black TiNi sells about 4x more than the others. Looks like majority of the public has voted for serrations.

Gotta chime in, OK I'm a Spyderco guy I'll admit it and I don't really care for any of SOGs folders except the Trident. And I think many of their designs as a whole are getting too blingy, but so is everyone elses apparently the mall-ninja crowd has a big impact on the market:D However I think SOG fixed blades and multi-tools are incredible. I bought my first SOG multi-tool last year and have bought 2 more since, and have started buying their fixed blades, for the $$$ I think SOG has some of the best fixed blades out there. The designs are unique to SOG and very functional. My only beef is that now most SOG knives I see are marked TAIWAN, I didn't care for that at first but I understand in today's ecomony SOG has to make a living and every one else have moved to CHINA to cut costs, so I guess they had to leave Japan as well. btw the quality I've seen on the TAIWAN SOGs I've seen have been great, keep up the good work.

AND if I could second someone else's vote I'd like to see a 1095, 1085, or 5160 Sog Bowie in the standard line-up for about the same price as the AUS-8 model, I'd buy several. That and lose the serrations on the NW ranger.

Why won't anybody move the serrations from the base of the blade? That's my biggest bitch: the serrations on the base of a blade impede my ability to get a straight cut on tough material.

If the serrations were on the front end they'd be a lot more useful, allowing the mid and base of the blade to remain straight-edged for control-point cuts. If you left a small
(1/4") straight tip on the knife you'd still be able to precision-slice while leaving the leverage points on the blade clean.

Be interesting to see what ChrisSOG thinks of this...

I did a quick check and it looks like the SEAL Pup Elite with combo edge and Black TiNi sells about 4x more than the others. Looks like majority of the public has voted for serrations.

isn't that also because the pup elite with serrations are more available in shops than the plain edge version?
or are most sold online?

That could have something to do with it, but if the customers really wanted a full straight edge blade the dealers would be requesting/ordering more of them. All the data I see indicates that when there is an option serrated sells better and that is across the board on folding and fixed blade knives.

That could have something to do with it, but if the customers really wanted a full straight edge blade the dealers would be requesting/ordering more of them. All the data I see indicates that when there is an option serrated sells better and that is across the board on folding and fixed blade knives.

I understand it.
most people probably see it is an extra, a plus to have serrations on the knife.
then they can cut/saw tougher materials with it.
it's understandable .why have one cutting opion when you can have two.

it takes away of the beauty of the blade in my opinion.but that's subjective.
only my opinion :D

I do agree with twodognight
the serrations on the base of a blade impede my ability to get a straight cut on tough material.
the serrations makes ugly cuts.

Please Please. Thin out the edge on the Flash 2. I love this knife, but after having to reprofile 2 of them to get a better cutting edge, I will never buy another one again.

This is a great EDC knife but has an edge like an axe.

I'd just like to say I'm a big fan of SOG's & I'd be more than happy to make some suggestions.

Folders-Keep the Arc-Lock(love it),would like to see a Ti-Framelock model.Keep the AO(you guys are second only to kershaw in that field IMO)
Steels-AUS8 is ok,but don't go any lower..like AUS4 or 6:barf:.
Actually,I'd be happy if you made every future folder with VG-10.

Fixed Blades-Just two things.I would like to see some non-stainless FB's.Maybe some juicy tool steel?:)..ie A2,O1,S7..or heck just some 1095 would be great!
You guys make some pretty comfortable handles.I would like to see some micarta handles(with full exposed tang) in the future.

With that all said,I'd still like to see the costs affordable if that's possible.:confused:

Take care SOG & hang in there!I'm rootin' for ya!:)

Back