Things SOG can do to get back on top.

Please Please. Thin out the edge on the Flash 2. I love this knife, but after having to reprofile 2 of them to get a better cutting edge, I will never buy another one again.

This is a great EDC knife but has an edge like an axe.
Really :confused: I have a Flash I and II and both of mine came insanely sharp right out of the box. Also it would be nice to see in the future maybe the Vulcan/Mini Vulcan as an AO. Or maybe a Flash with a 3" blade.

Last edited:
As for bringing back some of the classics. The reason that may of the the knives that are referred to as classics are no longer being produced is that they stopped selling and it was no longer economical to continue producing them. If more people were interested in them they would still be in the current offerings. Unfortunately it was a case of low demand and limited resources. In an ideal world we would love to continue to make all of our previous knives, but that is just no practical.

Well Chris I thing what you say is allrigth,but one way.
Off course people who has been interested for some model bought that allready.And selling going down after time.Because who wants to buy 4-5 indentical knives.But look !Buck,there number one model is the 110 folder,some people has 20-30 of them.Non of them look alike.They never stop producing that knife,and one of the main reason:the variations ,diff steels diff handles,diff special editions.Bring back the old classics,update them,make the people interested buying them again.Make the usrers of the sog knives to collect sog knives.Even you could make customising option for some models.
That way I'm shure your sell will raise again!

BUCK and KA-BAR still sell/produce their classics.
like the Buck 119 or 110 folder.
the Ka-Bar has a whole line of cassics which are closely related to eachother in appearance.
all but a bit different in scription on the blade or handle and sheath options.

maybe it's time to make some models in micarta.
classic models with micarta handles.the classic type of bowie blades with micarta handles.
people love micarta.

I would love to have a full tang Seal Team with micarta handle.
I would buy a few of them.
but I'm a knife freak.I guess..:cool:

BUCK and KA-BAR still sell/produce their classics.
like the Buck 119 or 110 folder.
the Ka-Bar has a whole line of cassics which are closely related to eachother in appearance.
all but a bit different in scription on the blade or handle and sheath options.

maybe it's time to make some models in micarta.
classic models with micarta handles.the classic type of bowie blades with micarta handles.
people love micarta.

I would love to have a full tang Seal Team with micarta handle.
I would buy a few of them.
but I'm a knife freak.I guess..:cool:

+1:thumbup: on the whole quote!;)

i Agree With Bige: Less Of The Sog Cutouts In Every Corner And Clip. The Knives Are Distinctive In Their Own Right On The Basis Of Material, Workmanship And Durability. No Need To Stick All Those Little Reminders Of Who Made It All Over...haha.

+1000

Sadly, I suspect that these days, more knives are sold to 'Mall Ninjas', who prefer Flash over Function :jerkit:, than to those of us who really use and understand quality knifes. :D

IMHO, rather than fancy "SOG" cut-outs and other 'Bling', Sog should just depend on their Quality to sell knives - A good reputation for solid construction, quality designs, durability, and decent steel is truly the best form of advertising.

+1 for No Serrations, or only as an option - I bought a Ka-Bar 'Shorty' Plain Blade rather than an Ontario Air Force Survival 499 because of the 'Saw Back' - I understand the purpose, and have used them before, but I can do as much with a sharp edge, with less risk to losing any of my blood! (Thumb Notches are another matter - More Control, plus GREAT for scraping Fire Steel without edge damage!)

...and 'Thumbs Up' :thumbup: on the SOG Field Pup, when 'A Little Less is Better'! ;)

FWIW

Last edited:
but G10 for the handle would be nice also.

I don NOT have any complains about the zytel handle by the way.
the checkering on the Seal Team could be a little less aggressive though.

a friend of mine,no knife-nut at all,immediately noticed the uncomfortable feeling of the aggressive checkering.

when you look at the weights=barbells and dumbbels ,those are also checkered for a good grip.but aggressive checkering is never liked on a barbell.

Well Chris I thing what you say is allrigth,but one way.
Off course people who has been interested for some model bought that allready.And selling going down after time.Because who wants to buy 4-5 indentical knives.But look !Buck,there number one model is the 110 folder,some people has 20-30 of them.Non of them look alike.They never stop producing that knife,and one of the main reason:the variations ,diff steels diff handles,diff special editions.Bring back the old classics,update them,make the people interested buying them again.Make the usrers of the sog knives to collect sog knives.Even you could make customising option for some models.
That way I'm shure your sell will raise again!

:thumbup: I agree, varying each SOG model more would stimulate interest. Different scales and handle material and different steels would definitely open some eyes.

I would love to be able to buy plain-edged NW Ranger and Tsunami's in either VG-10 or 1095 (actually one of each). I would love to see the Pentagon in VG-10 or 1095.I'd be all over that like a rash.
I also think that SOG knives are over gimmicky and should go back to the KISS principle. I only have 6 SOG FB's and would like more. I'm not in the military any more and I'm not a mall ninja, but I like a well made and well designed knife and that's why I have the SOG's that I have.

I started to read this thread then my eyes started to glaze (5 pages) so I'm just goin to leave my 2 cents worth.
Working in a cutlery store the last 9 years I have seen 2 directions with SOG.

Folders
have gotten alot better. Simple example: 9yrs ago most sog folders people were familiar with were the auto clips, general zytel handle with a decent blade. (imo very similar to a spyderco) BUT now they are offering a Clad blade with an arc lock for under $200 WOW! come on. a clad blade alone under $200 is rare. The arc line and then all of the assisted knives are all popular at good prices (as long as big box doesn't over do it)

Fix blades
booo. In the past they stood as the benchmark along with Cold Steel (I leave that to another rant:thumbdn:) as some of the best fixed blades out there. The last 9 yrs have been simple. Higher prices = lower quality:confused:. Let me use the best example, The daggert when it first came out it was a beautiful knife tini coating about $100 retail made in JAPAN.
A few shipments later we recieve notice of price increases makeing them sell for about $120(ok that happens) so we get the knives in the store and I'm putting them out and I notice the blade before it was a shiney tini is now a dust finish it seemed fine till i turned the blade around and the it was Taiwan!!! Ok before any body attacks me let me finish (I know Taiwan can make good stuff) Then a few shipments later we recieve another notice of a price increase making them about $140 I'm again putting them out on display and Then it was All over CHINA:eek: right there in front of me.

Sorry it does not stop there! I was at SHOT this year Vegas '08 and when questioned about this phenominon Of higher prices and lower quality I was told. "We are getting more consistant quality" :jerkit: from Taiwan and china versus Japan :barf:

Folders yes
Some of the best your money can buy

Fixed blades NO
for the same price or LESS you can get a blade made here in the USA (even with gas and energy crisis) that you would be happier with.

To me those 2 do not match cheaper labor does not reflect higher prices!

Chillax

Thanks for the feedback. I do read everything posted in in the forum and share it with the office.

I do need to correct mistaken claims in your post though. The Daggert was never made in Japan or China. It has always been made in Taiwan and continues to be. The only knives made in China are marked as such and are part of the Fusion line.

Also, the finish change was because of feedback that we got from customers requesting a dull finish rather than the shiny finish originally on the knife.

Sog is doing a great job. I cant think of anything that needs to be changes except make the serrations optional.

[QUOTE

Sorry it does not stop there! I was at SHOT this year Vegas '08 and when questioned about this phenominon Of higher prices and lower quality I was told. "We are getting more consistant quality" :jerkit: from Taiwan and china versus Japan :barf:

Fixed blades NO
for the same price or LESS you can get a blade made here in the USA (even with gas and energy crisis) that you would be happier with.

To me those 2 do not match cheaper labor does not reflect higher prices![/QUOTE]

Here we are!
Taiwan vs Japan
I understand SOG decision about breaking contract with the craftsmen in Seki!
But compare for example Mr.Hattori work to some Taiwan craftmans job?????
Second think my opinion is for a taiwan knife the price is quiet high.Honestly I rather pay around 300USD for a Japan made trident ,like paying 150 for a taiwan made. I'm not reach at all,but when I buyin something I want to be shure I,m paying for someting that last for years,and keep the value for a long time!
And if you want a quality for reasonable price why you dont make a contract with KaBar enstead moving to Taiwan.KaBar able producing there figthing knives in the good old US and sell it for 50 USD,and there 60 years in business
answers any quality related questions.How many of us would be really happy to see on the SOG knife tang that "Made in USA"?

Last edited:
KA-BAR...

one of the best.that's the truth.

and their prices are affordable for almost anyone. good steels.
1095 Carbon.D2 steel.
good quality .

Are you interested in opinions from a non SOG owner?

The problem goes deeper then serrations and pocket clips. My impression is SOG is a market follower rather then a market leader. I don't see much innovation in knife models.

There is a predisposition to military or military styled knives, which is fine but that limits the audience.

Finally the prices seem quite high for knives with AUS6 - AUS8 blades. Other companies knives using those kind of steel are more like $35 to $45.

I'm assuming there are at least two types of market share SOG might want to increase.

- Repeat buying from those that have or are familiar with SOG knives. This audience can address serrations on a certain model or if another model needs pockets clips. They already like SOG knives.

- New buyers who have not bought or don't have SOG knives now. What does it take to to hook someone on to buying a SOG? Perhaps style, innovation and price. I'm part of this group. To me SOG knives are all pretty similar in a military style, not particularly innovative and finally see prices that are relatively high in comparison.

That's what I was trying to communicate.

Shure!As every company try to sell something,and off course they are not brand new on the market,targeting two diff group of people 1 the existing and 2 a potential new customers.Why SOG should something else?
But as I seen there is a huge number of possibiletis,what SOG could do for there existing customers,to make them buy a new product.Is not an easy thing ,because let see when you buy a car you buying for a limited time of use,after you have to get a new one!If you where happy with your car,likely will get a new from the same dealer.When you buy a good knife you get it for life time.Exept you loose it,or it has been stolen...etc,dont really need a new one.So my point comes here.Make the users to be a collector,with a variation of best sellling models.Because there is no best steel,or handle materials,or blade designe(I like serration,I dont,I prefer Kraton,I like wood,and so on,and so on),All of that is invidual!
And finally go back to Taiwan again!
Most of the people check the company's bacground before they buy!
"Oh look this is a SOG knife,it has been made in Seki in Japan."
Seki????? You know is a primery region for knife and sword making in Japan!
Some of the craftsmen making knife following 800 years tradition.
Wooh!!
Or by the other hand:Look SOG knife ,made in Taiwan!
Where the heck this Taiwan is???????
O.K. This is maybe only phsycolgical thing,some of us mind say is diff from the Japan one .Who knows?
Lets put this way.Samayong,hope spell it right (chinese car).Few people buy them because of there relatively low price.
So put your hand on your heart,and be honest to your self,without the fact you can afford or not,wich one you would choose,Samayong or Chevy Camaro?

Updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics, updated classics!
Pretty please Chris.

Back