Things SOG can do to get back on top.

So I'm not the only one !Someone else do think like me!

+1 on that. :thumbup:

When I first got to know SOG few years back, I was like... wow, US made multitools, Japanese quality steel, knives from the history of American wars. :eek: Everything screamed: "The star spangled banner".

It's sad to see that SOG has indeed lost its roots. Outsourcing may not always be the best thing, as can be seen from the many SOG fakes up on the net. :foot: Save the company a dime too many I guess for its own good.

Saw the new SOG models that recently got posted on the SOG website. It was sad to see the revolver join the "fusion" series... Hopefully the "Creed" is not made in Taiwan too.

Not to blast SOG; the guys at the engineering dept are surely trying their best to design new products. But sadly what SOG needs to do remember that quality cannot be compromised. Hop over to knifeforums.com and you'll see people recommending certain brands as the "one knife you'll take to the woods", yet no mention of SOG except for daily activites and regular camping. I now know why. Maybe it's a different league but hey, SOG was once in that league too...The times of the Sk-5 steel, the japanese blades and not cheaper steel. :cool:

Really hope that SOG can come up with a few nice classics, just like how it came out with the S1C bowie commemorative. Some stuff like that still lets me know that SOG still has two feet in America.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

I will put in my .02 as a new dealer and a long time SOG fan.

As a customer first and foremost, you guys have a great line-up of fixed blade knives. Personally I'm a big "folder person" and usually only carry folders even when on a campout or just for EDC. The folders that stand out to me are the visionaries, vulcans, and spec elites. They have the more traditional blade shapes to them, the arc lock and great steel. I think more folders like these and an occasional handle slab of G-10 would do wonders and even produce a crowd lingering in suspense for the new G-10 handled knife.

As a dealer, what looks to be sold out a lot are the knives that I mentioned, this is probably because of the reasons I had plus a few more. They are a bit more basic, appeal to a larger crowd, and are very durable in all weather conditions.

That's my .02, thanks for listening, J.

Drop the leather sheaths and provide nice modern kydex. The knives are nice just got a Team Leader with the premium steel and it comes with a useless sheath.

It's funny, but it seems like a while back people were saying "get rid of the cheap kydex sheaths and give us some leather ones!"

The main thing I'm concerned about is the fixed blade lineup. Are there any that are still produced in Seki? The Seki designs were my favorite ones! (I only say "were" because since they don't exist any more I shouldn't say "are"). At least I can still cling to my new condition Tech II while whispering "my precious..."

It's funny, but it seems like a while back people were saying "get rid of the cheap kydex sheaths and give us some leather ones!"

The main thing I'm concerned about is the fixed blade lineup. Are there any that are still produced in Seki? The Seki designs were my favorite ones! (I only say "were" because since they don't exist any more I shouldn't say "are"). At least I can still cling to my new condition Tech II while whispering "my precious..."

I'd rather have a leather sheath or a kydex one (kydex is number one in my book) over the nylon ones.

I like my nylon for my seal team elite, but I'll have to swap the velcro for a snap, its just not secure enough for horizontal carry, and since it has MOLLE, I like to keep it strapped under my waist pack so it's easy to get to, but hidden. I've also worn it horizontal using my back belt loops. just for that crocodile dundee effect, sort-of

SOG PLEASE PLEASE, make some full tang knives where you can see the tang all the way down the handle, make a solid strong wilderness/tactical/chopper. I know tons of people who would buy it.

so like a seal team with a heavier blade? although in all honesty, choppers are a flooded market at all price points

Put some micarta scales on the Team Leader. Get rid of the rough handles. Polish the blade.

SOG was an easy sell when it was all American made. Now everything is coming out of Chiwain. No one I know wants it! Why pay The SOG price when you can get the same quality, the same grade metals, the same handle material for 1/3 SOG price. Profit is becoming more important then quality. With the ownership changing hands the pricing and quality issues are only going to get worse.

Not to mention the attutude you get from some of the SOG staff. I deal with a number of Knife Companies across the world and have never been spoken to like I get spoken to by SOG.

SOG is becoming the "Mcdonalds of Knives" Buy American!

SOG is becoming the "Mcdonalds of Knives" Buy American!

That's kind of harsh.......perhaps you are thinking of Gerber? :confused:

SOG has always been kind with me on the phone, no matter who answered on the other end. SOG is good people, ways I can think of helping them get back in the mainstream is popping out a couple of traditional type folders with VG-10 or S30V steel since those are big sellers on the market right now.

Maybe less use of the SOG logo on everything, and more simplistic blade shapes. People seem happy buying products made in USA or Japan.

Just my .02, J.

I've owned, carried, and handled several different SOG products, and I think some of the issue is the expectations of the buyers. I can get a 3+ inch blade, AUS-8 steel, and AO for under $50, which is an awesome value which very few other manufacturers can claim to offer. The thing is, you get what you pay for- for instance, the Flash II I handled had very serious blade play issues. The Blink I had was solid in every way, and a steal at $30. (I think the metal handles were a huge part of this, and SOG should move away from Zytel, but that's just MHO). The Seal Pup and Pup Elite were also underwhelming- It was like shooting an airsoft gun when you own the real thing. There were no discernible issues with quality, but something just didn't feel right-again, I think the plastic handles had a lot to do with this.

So, to sum up my ramblings:
1. Move away from Zytel where ever possible- it will raise costs, but I'd be willing to pay substantially more for all-metal construction.

2. If it keeps costs reasonable, I have no issue with foreign manufacture.

3. Less emphasis on serrations-or at least make them a more accessible option. Same for blade finishes. Tigershark patterns appeal to mall ninjas only.

My very humble .02

SOG was an easy sell when it was all American made.

I don't think SOG was ever all American made. As far as I know, most, if not all of their fixed blades in the past were made in Seki, Japan. To me, whether or not quality was affected by the change to Taiwan, I like the looks of ALL of the Seki models over their Taiwan counterparts.

I have knives and multitools from different companies. Most sit on display or are gently fondled while watching TV. The tools and knives I actually USE, are my SOGs. Primarily my Powerassist and my "cheap, china made, spyderco ripoff" Sogzilla. It's thin, rides deep in pocket, holds a decent edge, and takes a beating. My powerassist is a tank. If it works for you it's a good product. Do you really need a Sebenza for daily carry? If I could afford one it would be for showing off, and I'd have a SOG for actually cutting stuff. Sog has high end and affordable products. Buy what you can afford and what you'll use it for. SOG has something for everyone.

I think it would be great of they also had higher end models made in USA. I would pay the extra for that. The first sog I bought was the seal 2000 when it was made in japan and it was/is one of my favorites, held its edge for a long time, I then got another seal team elite and the price was great so I jumped on it thinking it was also made in Japan, no dice. Taiwan. I know quality blades come out of there, but I would love to see some made in USA versions no matter the cost. Like it used to be.

I like SOG so far. I have an old desert dagger, and I picked up a flash II for my every day carry. Only real complaint is that they don't still sell the desert dagger anymore :3 However, after hearing the opinions on the matter from a member of this forum that represents them, I can see why they don't sell it and offer the daggert instead.

I think there's a place for serrations, especially on larger knives to give the knife some bite before it slices through.

SOG Specialty Blades does exactly that; make specialty blades. SOGs soar above the competition in reliability and just plain cool, IMO

affordable quality knives. I do think that some of their knives cost to much, but that might be the case with all knife brands. some brands seem to be able to use higher end materials without blowing the budget.

if it were up to me knives the escape wouldn't exist. http://sogknives.com/store/FF-25.html it looks like something for those "super tactical undercover spy" people.
I don't like the thought of the flashlight knives neither.

I don't like most of the chinese knives from SOG, but I haven't tried any of them.

I hope they'll make higher quality folders, maybe with assisted opening.

I don't mind certain things being made in Taiwan. Wish my seal pup elite came from the factory with a better edge grind, but my g-shock is made in Taiwan, and that thing is tough as nails.

Back