Things SOG can do to get back on top.

Robbie--I think you might remember the photo--it was later in the evening--I was in my wheelchair due to back problems---name's Mark

The fact that you responded to this post proves my point...CUSTOMER SERVICE people.:cool::cool:

Mark, I remember it very well. ;)

Did I not see you yesterday ? :)

Maybe not..........but I thought I did........:D

Robbie Roberson.

yeah that was me :eek:

we should get together sometime for a pot of gumbo--I can rustle up some mean cajun.

Dont have regular access to a computer--mine has some sort of a disease--

You can get my number from Wendy in customer service at SMKW--Im in SC now but Im here at her house most of the time if a computer is involved

like 2 get some tips on building a small forge---I got the bug.

Revolver works like a dream--lotta vibration w/saw--cant have everything:D

When Spencer Fraizer and Robbie Roberson posed for a pic w/ me at SMKW

and my favorite knife company didnt even send a rep 2 rep weekend at SMKW....twice..that did it for me.

Lets just say itll be a COLD day in STEEL before I spend that kinda cash again w/anybody but SOG

CUSTOMER SERVICE and appreciation is everything. If it werent for people like Wendy at SMKW CS woulda lost alot of cash

Now barring my stupidity--Serrations on every damn knife blade out there is gettin old...leave it to the masters..Spyderco...or carrry a saw or a Seal Revolver. I agree w/the cutout stuff and simpler lines sells every time.

1 question--when are companies gonna quit painting thier trademark on stuff and engrave it..be proud of what u sell...

sog too

I agree.
When I went to SMKW the sog rep was awesome(don't know who it was but he was cool).
He was the only one that really knew his stuff, all the other company reps just kind of waddled around. :D
The sog booth is also the coolest there btw.

dropping the Desert Dagger was silliness.

moving to taiwan is just sad. not a mark against sog, every company except the truly elite are doing it. it hurts the heart.

i'm the buyer for what i believe is the largest (size, not scale) knife store in California. i call SOG a lot. love you guys.

but i'm just not excited for the bulk of SOGs line. i spend most of my SOG money on Discontinued pieces. i'm actually buying Contours on Ebay for my store.

thats right.

Ebay is one of my SOG dealers. because SOG doesn't think the knives that sell for me are important anymore.

Desert Dagger
Contour
Tsunami
SOG Tech
SK5 Bowie.

and Chris, i love you man, you're always super nice to me, but the Arci-Tech is the worst put together $450 knife I've seen that wasn't made by CS.

Tools are amazing. Team Leader in 20CV is amazing. but the Blingy branding and the absence of the DD is just making SOG look like their Hurting.

i don't wan't SOG to be the next Camillus, you guys need to get back to your ROOTS.

oh, and be open on Mondays, thats when my ordering gets done. You're in a meeting : i call MOT, BR, or H.L.

love my Jet Edge, but ya'll make me a little sad :(

i spend most of my SOG money on Discontinued pieces. i'm actually buying Contours on Ebay for my store.

thats right.

Ebay is one of my SOG dealers. because SOG doesn't think the knives that sell for me are important anymore.

Desert Dagger
Contour
Tsunami
SOG Tech
SK5 Bowie.

i don't wan't SOG to be the next Camillus, you guys need to get back to your ROOTS.:(
So I'm not the only one !Someone else do think like me!

Interesting. I never really thought about it, but the only SOG knives I've gotten in the past couple of years are a Night Vision, a Tech 2, and a beat up Seal 2000 all off of ebay. The only SOG knives I ever look for any more are the Tomcat (original), Jet Edge 2 (the carbon fiber looks cool), the Tsunami, and the original SK5 Tigershark. Other then that, the only knives that I've purchased recently have been Busse Kin and Ranger knives. A nice tool steel fixed blade that doesn't cost as much as the collector's Bowie would be great.

after visiting their facility recentlly, i think things will continue to trend towards well finished, overpriced, made where ever knives.

Its the mass market and the mighty $$ margin that determines what gets produced.
I personally do not like a lot of the new "blingy" models with weird designs / cutouts / logos, but amongst that there are some nice items like the multitools.

I for one love my SOG Fusion Hawk. Will pick up an Aegis. I like the look of the Agency but wish a lot of their fixed blades ditched the double handguard so that I can put my thumb on the spine!!

2 things that really turn me off on SOG. How much they charge for knives with low end steel, and the ugly ass cutouts in the knives, wether its done in the blade or the handle:rolleyes:.

The cut-outs with the SOG name do bother me a little, but I wouldn't say SOG charges too much "for the steel". The Twitch II (with AUS8) is availible for around $40 from retailers and $30 something on Ebay. A similar sized Al Mar knife (with AUS8) will run you about $60 something. I'm not saying Al Mars aren't worth the money; just comparing is all. Cheers.

Now THERE is an idea!

I'm too lazy to quote the original post, but i would definitely collect variations on the original 'Cat. Like Buck does with the 110 and 55, so too should SOG w/the Tomcat: different scales, blade steel, thumbstud, AO, Arc-Lock etc.

The Tomcat was THE original production tac-folder. Why doesn't SOG still believe in it? If Ka-Bar can use high-carbon steel and build in America, why can't SOG? How sweet would a D2 tool steel bladed Tomcat Classic w/ linen-micarta scales and thumbstud be? Too sweet, that's how!

Or a titanium bolstered/carbon fiber-scaled D2-bladed 'Cat Classic??

Or an Assisted-Opening version of the above?

Or one with scrimshawed Airborne Wings on Grivory(or whatev?)??

Or a Classic 'Cat with SS bolsters and MOP?

Or just a Classic standar w/Arc-lock?

I mean, the varitaions seem to have infinite possibilities. I alone could spend the next month inventing variations on that theme. In my mind the Tomcat is THE archetypical big-time folder. It would create it's own market purely based on the variety of materials applied. Like an OP said: be a leader in the market, not a follower!

Just my two cents, but i am confident that this concept would be a money-maker, even (especially?) in a limited-run.

I love the Tsunami is ergonomic and is not out of place if put to work in a kitchen. Fundimentally it follows the original purpose of Tantos, a field knife. Most tantos are stylised and hard to use in domestic roles that soldiers ineviatably found themselves doing in the field.

Back