Off Topic Thinking about picking up another crazy addiction..

Who else builds ARs?

Sadly, I had to let go of my DDM4 almost 2 years ago to help my family out. It's time to replace her, and after watching how much fun my cousin had building his own, I decided to do the same. I can already tell how dangerously addictive it's going to be..

I started out thinking about going with the 6.5 Creedmor after seeing this, but quickly changed my mind to stick with the AR15 platform, and you can't really argue the ballistics of the 6.5 Grendel. It's going to be a range gun for now, but I may be moving in the next few years in which case it could be a hunting companion. I still love the looks of the Wilson, the price just scared me off. I think I can make a similar looking beast and hopefully save myself some $$ in the process (and of course have a good time doing it!). I want the color scheme to match, but that can be done down the road I suppose.

So I was thinking/hoping you fella nuts can help me out with suggestions on parts, etc.

As of now I am leaning towards a Krieger barrel 18" with 1/8 twist and a bolt/BCG from Precision Firearms out of WV. I may also go with their stripped upper and lower receivers, but am up for negotiation :thumbsup::cool:

Anyways, I can't wait to hear/see what you guys recommend and/or have.

Thanks for help and sharing!

BM

If I were to just buy one off the shelves, that would be a top 2 choice! I want to have the satisfaction of building my own this time around, though! :D

Im sort of in the same boat, been looking around/researching to pick up my 1st AR. Nevermind building one lol im not there yet.
Good luck, and ill definitely keep an eye on this thread.
Quick Question.
What are some benefits of building vs Buying a name brand one ? (Other than the good times)

Im sort of in the same boat, been looking around/researching to pick up my 1st AR. Nevermind building one lol im not there yet.
Good luck, and ill definitely keep an eye on this thread.
Quick Question.
What are some benefits of building vs Buying a name brand one ? (Other than the good times)

When you're building an AR yourself you'll get the best opportunity to build your ultimate gun. Look at it like this, you can buy a production knife or you can have one custom built to your own specifications.

You can have an absolute beast of a rifle for $1,000-$1,500. Or you can go cheap an build one up from surplus parts for roughly $400 if you get some solid deals.

I've built 7 lowers. Never built an upper head spacing and barrel alignment scare me and don't have the tools. Before Sandy Hook it was cheaper but I think now it would only save money if you are upgrading parts. You can find good deals on used stuff in the buy sell on ar15.com it is fun and educational.

I have built a few. Fun for a while but I got a little board with it. I am down to one. PSA has the best deals I have found right now on complete kits. You can build a decent PSA AR for under 500.
It is near impossible to move one around here right now. Most local dealers will not even take one on a trade.

I've built 7 lowers. Never built an upper head spacing and barrel alignment scare me and don't have the tools. Before Sandy Hook it was cheaper but I think now it would only save money if you are upgrading parts. You can find good deals on used stuff in the buy sell on ar15.com it is fun and educational.
I have swapped several barrels,gas blocks and hand guards. Never had any trouble. The factors you are talking about are not near as important on a semi auto riffle as they are on a bolt action. I think there was only one that I had to shim the barrel on and that was just to get the barrel nut to line up right. As long as the locking lugs lock up right after you torque your barrel nut you are good to go. ARs are like a big kids lego set.

I have swapped several barrels,gas blocks and hand guards. Never had any trouble. The factors you are talking about are not near as important on a semi auto riffle as they are on a bolt action. I think there was only one that I had to shim the barrel on and that was just to get the barrel nut to line up right. As long as the locking lugs lock up right after you torque your barrel nut you are good to go. ARs are like a big kids lego set.
Yeah but after you have seven you don't really need to build more...

As cheap as I can pick up the parts I have been thinking about at least building another lower. I can build an Anderson lower complete for 150.00

One thing,if you decide to build one don't get sucked into paying big money for a lower. I do have a Spikes on the one I have now just because I like the Crusader lower they had. Nothing at all wrong with Anderson for 50 bucks.

I've had my mind on building one for a long time, built several bolt action of my own, may last one a Lapua 6.5X47 and it's a fun round to play with if you're into long range and cooking your own ammo - but in a AR I've always wanted something different so thinking .308 - Is there much cost difference between say a .308 and a .223 build?

I built mine. Bought a lower and then used a midlength rifle kit from PSA with the .223 Wyldd chamber. Really sweet shooting gun. I just can't get used to the feel of an AR though. Been wanting to get one of the lowers that use a regular style rifle stock.

My cousin just picked up a Grendel, a bolt action made by CZ. 24" barrel. Set trigger, pretty wood,very nice.
The guy has 2 more available.

One thing,if you decide to build one don't get sucked into paying big money for a lower. I do have a Spikes on the one I have now just because I like the Crusader lower they had. Nothing at all wrong with Anderson for 50 bucks.
Last lowers I bought I think I got spikes surplus or something. They were on GunBroker and I want to say I gave $125 for 2 punisher logo lowers. Of course then you have shipping and ffl fees. At the time I had a friendly ffl who did transfer for $20 so my total was about $150.

My best advice is buy a pistol marked lower. I got one from spikes. That way there is no ambiguity about what you originally built it as if you have any short barreled uppers. Just learn the laws that pertain to then and don't put a buttstock on it ever

Last lowers I bought I think I got spikes surplus or something. They were on GunBroker and I want to say I gave $125 for 2 punisher logo lowers. Of course then you have shipping and ffl fees. At the time I had a friendly ffl who did transfer for $20 so my total was about $150.
Good deal. I think I gave a 225.00 out the door for my Spikes lower,CMMG parts kit and a UTG stock. I have sense changed the UTG stock and grip out for CAA. The thing that has still not came down in price are the good optics. I did put folding Troy back up sights and a tru-glow reflex. Want a Eotech but don't want to pay for one.

My best advice is buy a pistol marked lower. I got one from spikes. That way there is no ambiguity about what you originally built it as if you have any short barreled uppers. Just learn the laws that pertain to then and don't put a buttstock on it ever
The place I bought my lower from runs the background on the lowers as long gun and pistol so there is no question if you use it for either one.

I have built several handfuls for people. I really love it. The open source nature of AR15s is awesome.

I have used PSA, BCM, Spikes, and Anderson lowers. IMO a lower is a lower is a lower. I do want to use a Cav Arms polymer lower though. The Inrange TV guys have me convinced.

It really is hard to beat buying an upper all ready assembled price wise. You can build a rifle under 500 all day now. I get my parts from PSA, but ALG Defense have blemished free float rails on their website I like to use too.

But I have just bought a LWRC DI gun. I think they are excellent values right now at 1k. Fluted barrel, free float Mlok rail, one piece BCG, full ambi controls, and some random rail accessories. No sights unfortunately, but I have a few sets in my spare parts bin. The Colt Trooper 6920 is a good deal too at under 700. But you do save a bit only paying firearm taxes on a $50 lower vs a complete rifle.

This next rifle I build is going to be based off of the WWSD (What Would Stoner Do?) rifles the Inrange TV guys are working on. Here is the first video in the series.
I highly recommend this channel in general, but this series has been excellent so far with a video discussing each component they selected.

Or maybe I will build a retro rifle using Brownells new retro furniture (a2 stock, triangle handguards, ect)

EDIT: The lowers are marked as "firearms" in the FFL books. If it is marked as a rifle you can never make it a pistol, full length rifle or SBR only, but a pistol can be converted to a rifle and back again at will. In NC, you do need a pistol purchase permit or CCW license to buy lowers since they can be made into pistols.

Last edited:
Back