Off Topic Thinking about picking up another crazy addiction..

Loving the pics, and appreciate everyone's comments as always!

P.s. still no replies from anyone...I don't get it.

So I have been drinking Scottish Ale tonight (Old Chub) and thinking about how I would build a 2k AR-15... I tried to spend the whole 2k (not thinking about shipping or taxes) but left out stuff I think is Tacticool Gucci.

Still waiting on the Busse-kin Bayonet.

Here is my idea:

Larue Upper Receiver Kit- $792 with your choice of barrel. Extra 100 bucks if you want a color other than black.

Geissele Lower Parts Kit- $40

Geissele Trigger of your choice $192-250 (sale on Geissle's website right now)

JP Captured Spring Assembly- $140

Geissele Airborne Charging Handle- $71

Magpul BUIS (polymer, steel, or canted)- $76-200

V-Tac Sling- $45

(Running Total for a functional rifle $1356-1538) Another $100-300 for a weapon light to make it suitable for defensive purposes.

Stocks
Magpul UBR Gen 2- $189
OR
Use what is in the Larue kit and add a LAW Folder- $200
(Running Total $1545-1738)

And whatever Lower Receiver you think looks cool $50-300-??? Some will have ambi controls, so I left them out of the list since.

Rest of the money goes to PMAGs. Ammo is a separate budget.

Then for optics, I would either go:

Aimpoint Comp M5 with QD mount- $962
Maybe with a magnifier in twist mount- $600-1200
OR

Trijicon Acog with RMR -$2000

I don't know much about Night Vision or Thermals so I didn't look into those.

Thanks for the entertainment!

My best advice is buy a pistol marked lower. I got one from spikes. That way there is no ambiguity about what you originally built it as if you have any short barreled uppers. Just learn the laws that pertain to then and don't put a buttstock on it ever

Untrue.

When you do a 4473 for a stripped lower, it should be categorized as "other."

Then, build it as a pistol. If you do this, you can go back and forth, so long as you never have a short barrel on the lower at the same time as you have a stock on it. If you build it as a rifle first, you can't go to a pistol legally.

If you assemble an AR, please use quality parts. I use the "buy once, cry once" method. Colt, Noveske, DD are my friends, among other great manufacturers. John died way to early in life...wish he was still influencing the AR world. RIP

Last edited:
I've built 5 lowers, an A2 upper, and have the parts to build an SPR and a 6.8SPC. I started building because I figure if I can build it, I can fix it. Get decent tools up front, and you're set.

3 of the lowers are Stag, and 2 are Aero Precision. No issues with any of them.

My SPR parts are 18" Noveske barrel, Larue upper and 13" rail, and Geissele SSA.

My 6.8 upper is 16" AR15 Performance barrel and matched bolt, Aero Precision upper, MI M-Lok handguard.

So I have been drinking Scottish Ale tonight (Old Chub) and thinking about how I would build a 2k AR-15... I tried to spend the whole 2k (not thinking about shipping or taxes) but left out stuff I think is Tacticool Gucci.

Still waiting on the Busse-kin Bayonet.

Here is my idea:

Larue Upper Receiver Kit- $792 with your choice of barrel. Extra 100 bucks if you want a color other than black.

Geissele Lower Parts Kit- $40

Geissele Trigger of your choice $192-250 (sale on Geissle's website right now)

JP Captured Spring Assembly- $140

Geissele Airborne Charging Handle- $71

Magpul BUIS (polymer, steel, or canted)- $76-200

V-Tac Sling- $45

(Running Total for a functional rifle $1356-1538) Another $100-300 for a weapon light to make it suitable for defensive purposes.

Stocks
Magpul UBR Gen 2- $189
OR
Use what is in the Larue kit and add a LAW Folder- $200
(Running Total $1545-1738)

And whatever Lower Receiver you think looks cool $50-300-??? Some will have ambi controls, so I left them out of the list since.

Rest of the money goes to PMAGs. Ammo is a separate budget.

Then for optics, I would either go:

Aimpoint Comp M5 with QD mount- $962
Maybe with a magnifier in twist mount- $600-1200
OR

Trijicon Acog with RMR -$2000

I don't know much about Night Vision or Thermals so I didn't look into those.

Thanks for the entertainment!

No, thank YOU. I'm glad you had fun.

If you assemble an AR, please use quality parts. I use the "buy once, cry once" method. Colt, Noveske, DD are my friends, among other great manufacturers. John died way to early in life...wish he was still influencing the AR world. RIP

I have a $2,000+ budget, and I plan on using all of it ;)

I have been leaning towards one of the following 3 options from either JPE or DTech:

1) Buy the JPE CTR-02 Upper/Lower Receiver set (listed as $699.95 on their site) plus their JP Supermatch 18" Barrel ($664 with desired options). I love the idea of buying everything from the same manufacturer, but the price tag on the receiver set is a little hard to swallow.

2) Buy the PF Billet Lower Receiver ($230) and Krieger Barrel/Upper with some desired options ($1,060+). Here, the barrel is just so much more money. I am ok spending money for quality, but I don't really see much negative on JPE's barrels. Which brings us to....

3) Save money, and purchase the JPE Supermatch barrel and the upper/lower receiver from Precision Firearms.

Someone has to help me, because I'm considering Noveske, too. I need to see if they'll do my mandatory OD receiver look, though. I am not compromising on that :p

I've built 5 lowers, an A2 upper, and have the parts to build an SPR and a 6.8SPC. I started building because I figure if I can build it, I can fix it. Get decent tools up front, and you're set.

3 of the lowers are Stag, and 2 are Aero Precision. No issues with any of them.

My SPR parts are 18" Noveske barrel, Larue upper and 13" rail, and Geissele SSA.

My 6.8 upper is 16" AR15 Performance barrel and matched bolt, Aero Precision upper, MI M-Lok handguard.

Aero seems to offer a good product at an affordable price. The name is coming up an awful lot...

Back