Thoughts and Favorites, $350-$600 range.

Les George Talos, VECP, or ESV. I like my Inkosi and XM-18, but the Georges are a little bit better.

I’m very familiar with the CRK and Hinderer offerings, but haven’t gotten a Les George in hand. What inspires you to say that they’re better? I’m not asking to challenge, but to hear your take.

Koenig Arius and Holt Specter are hard to beat in this range, and those are pretty popular.

One that’s not nearly as well known but deserving of more recognition is the Sander Barbus at $600. Intricately milled, comfortable handle. Blade shape similar to the Olamic Swish with a nice high grind and a fuller that allows a nice alternative opening method to the flipper tab. Silky dropshut action. 4-inch cutting edge and weighing less than 4 oz.

Then again, at way less than $350, the SpydieChef is still very compelling.

J JimMD

You, sir, are a man of discerning tastes. For the unfamiliar...

YNdlxfRl.jpg

...though my favorite Andrei Sander knife is the Contra...

GHoRUAil.jpg

The action feels like it’s lubricated with lady angel juices. By which I mean orange juice, freshly squeezed by female angels, or something.

Millet, Reate and CRK would be my choices in this range.

If you're talking purely as a tool.. It is CRK all the way. Almost 0 tolerances for the best price. Customer service and spa treatment unmatched (or untested) on others in the price range. Provided with tool, lube, loctite. Disassembly only requires 2 screws. Goes back together like new. Hollow grind, balanced steel. There's a reason every collector has a CRK.
If you talking 'action,' I sincerely think Koenig is number 1. Detents are unmatched in my opinion. Especially, the new mini goblin, to have a blade that is only 3" that can fire open and drop shut is almost unheard of at that price. Except specifically shirogorov neon lite m390 Ti handles. Another company where the knives can be taken apart and put back together without affecting the action.

IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG

J JimMD

You, sir, are a man of discerning tastes. For the unfamiliar...

YNdlxfRl.jpg

...though my favorite Andrei Sander knife is the Contra...

GHoRUAil.jpg

The action feels like it’s lubricated with lady angel juices. By which I mean orange juice, freshly squeezed by female angels, or something.
Great to hear your thoughts on the Contra. I’d love to check one out in person. I have a Barbus but haven’t held any other Sander. The other models may be as good or better, although I do like the contoured handle and blade fuller on the Barbus.

I don't own any production knives in this range. Mine max out in the $200 range
Most of the companies mentioned don't make leftys, and if I'm shelling out over $3-$600 on a knife I'm not going to make compromises.

Once I almost bought a lefty Sebenza. I had it in my cart when I decided to contact a custom maker here on the forums to see what his prices were. Turns out I only needed to save a bit more. So I removed the Sebbie from my cart and a few months later I was the (very) happy owner of a custom from Andre Thorburn.
I may yet still get a CRK, or more likely a lefty from Olamic, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. For the money I get much more by spending a bit more for customs.

M.Strider SMF, the 2018 onwards run. With the razor thin grinds and CPM20CV steel and aluminum+Ti frames and vastly improved fit and finish, they're awesome.

At the $500-600 range customs become attractive for me. Even in the $300 range for up and coming makers that show talent and they are out there make no mistake.

But CRK remains my favorite manufacturing company in that price range.

I’m very familiar with the CRK and Hinderer offerings, but haven’t gotten a Les George in hand. What inspires you to say that they’re better? I’m not asking to challenge, but to hear your take.
I feel that the ergonomics are nearly perfect and they are a great balance between finesse and durability. There is something about the click of the lock bar when you open the knife that conveys quality. I also like the blade shape more than the others. I can’t find much to fault in any of the three brands, but my Les Georges are my favorite.

Koenig immediately comes to mind. Not only are their knives absolutely superb, their customer service and support are second to none.

Les George most definitely puts out some high-quality pieces, i.e. the VECP series. I have a San Mai FM-1 and it's absolutely amazing.

Lastly, as someone else mentioned, the new M. Strider productions are a cut above the old ones. I managed to snag one of the new CPM20CV DGG SnGs and it's one of the best knives I've ever owned.

I’m really enjoying the conversation on this topic. The variety of answers is very cool. For that matter, the variety of “second to none” CS/warranty is fun, and encouraging. It’s a beautiful thing that multiple companies in this range are inspiring that kind of praise.

The competition with customs at the top end of the range is interesting to me, as well. I think I’m actually more attracted to a lot of the knives in this range than I am to most full customs. Having said that, it’s not lost on me that a Ray Laconico EZC custom isn’t far from the top end of this range. That sort of thing is certainly food for thought.

I don't own any production knives in this range. Mine max out in the $200 range.
That's me for the most part although I continue to push the $200 possibly to $300.... It boils down to I'm too damn old to spend money like that when I can't see the reward or value over the sub-$200 knives for the most part. My most expensive folder was made by TA Davison. So, I have few recommendations. I do want to take a look at the LionSteel knife mentioned earlier just for my information, of course.;)

That's me for the most part although I continue to push the $200 possibly to $300.... It boils down to I'm too damn old to spend money like that when I can't see the reward or value over the sub-$200 knives for the most part. My most expensive folder was made by TA Davison. So, I have few recommendations. I do want to take a look at the LionSteel knife mentioned earlier just for my information, of course.;)

I definitely get this sentiment. I don’t spend money on many things in life. Simple clothes, simple watch, simple car. I’m not a flashy guy. My family is comfortable, and we’re on track for a very comfortable retirement down the road.

When the realization hit that I’m so consistently responsible everywhere else, I allowed myself to shrug off the guilt and splurge a bit with this.

IIRC from The Firing Line days, this isn’t your only hobby, though. So, I get it.

I definitely get this sentiment. I don’t spend money on many things in life. Simple clothes, simple watch, simple car. I’m not a flashy guy. My family is comfortable, and we’re on track for a very comfortable retirement down the road.

When the realization hit that I’m so consistently responsible everywhere else, I allowed myself to shrug off the guilt and splurge a bit with this.

IIRC from The Firing Line days, this isn’t your only hobby, though. So, I get it.
I still visit TFL from time to time. Same handle. I am just not as "into" it as I used to be. I still have time for knives and guns for that matter. Knives are a priority these days as I am simply more interested in them now that guns.

Couple years ago I decided to go up in price range and start searching information about this mighty triple. There was so opposite opinions about each of them, that I decide to try by myself and order all three. That was left handed Sebenza 21 pj, Strider SnG and Hinderer XM-24.
Hinderer is the great knife! Prefect f&f, smooth mechanic, just a little to bulky for my daily needs. Later l bought Maximus bayonet and thinking about XM-18
Strider, the black sheep in the family))) Now I have four SnG and will buy more if will find in interesting configuration. The first SnG is still in my pocket and after 3 years of abuse fills great.
And finally Sebenza, the grail of the production knives... Sorry, I want to say “boring perfection”, but I was one of the rare unfortunate man who get the knife with quality issues. There was problems with pivot - it was to tight and screw off if you try to adjust it. So I put it on lock tight. I know this is very small issue, but precision quality this what you expect from CRK first. Anyway I understand that bad things happens and still strongly believe in CRK quality. I want to try it again with several models, especially because it’s only one company who so much care about leftyes )))
So my point is all this knives are great and it’s only matter of taste witch one to prefer. Of coarse nowadays there are a lot of other great high quality knife companies, but this three dinosaurs will always be special, for me at least.

Mostly CRK for me. I love the simplistic perfection. Hinderer makes a good knife and I've had several. The Les George VECP I had was pretty phenomenal.
I would like to try an Olamic 247 too!

I still visit TFL from time to time. Same handle. I am just not as "into" it as I used to be. I still have time for knives and guns for that matter. Knives are a priority these days as I am simply more interested in them now that guns.

I haven’t been to TFL in a few years. Like you, I’m more into knives than guns, as far as interest in objects goes. I’m simple when it comes to guns. As with cars, I just want one that gets the job done, and specifically desire uniform predictability from one day to the next. I’ve never been a guy who would rotate carry pistols, holsters, etc.

Knives are very different for me, in that way. I love the variety and experience of them. Being able to pick up a Contra, roll it around in your fingers to inspect the fit & finish, trace the milling, flip and close it repeatedly to soak in how incredibly well executed it is, etc... that is very cool.

Back