Thoughts and Favorites, $350-$600 range.

@Comeuppance

I agree with the practicality assessment. My true EDC since I got them (purple, gray) has been a $149.99 Keen.

My interest and expectation in this range is: exceptional enjoyment from a practical user that’s also a satisfying fidget piece, and something I enjoy looking at. I need them to be things I’d use when I have them on me, but also something that feels special to me. Nobody around me cares about this $#!+, so there’s no status to be had. It’s just about what I find appealing.

More accurately, it’s about what I feel is an appealing enough lump of material to throw $350-$600 at. That’s not a big list.

This has to be the most boring segment in the knife world. Aside from the aforementioned Hawks, everyone is building the same knife.

I respectfully disagree. You’d still get a handshake and a smile from me if we ever cross paths.

My thought as well.

I have stepped into the $350+ range a few times (RHK, CRK, and Reate) but have concluded that I will be VERY careful and selective if I do it again. There are just too many arguably equally good knives in the range of $150-$250, which is where my knife money has been mainly spent.

On the subject of this price range, my recurring thought is that nearly anything above $200 is past the point of diminishing returns. You’re likely paying for appearance and pride of ownership, and have stepped outside of what can be reasonably justified as the purchase of a cutting tool.

It’s not as if that extra $280 on top of the price of, say, a PM2 makes a Chris Reeve any better at parting materials aside from parting the owner with more money.

I occasionally get excited and purchase a knife in that price range, but I always end up being underwhelmed by the reality of the item in hand - it’s still just a knife. In this age of $100 knives having S35VN and tight fit and finish, I don’t see much justification for stepping very far outside of that apart from adding to a collection.

Having only recently been able to start thinking about purchasing knives in this price range, I've already learned a lot in a short period of time, as well as come to some firm decisions that I feel will help me going forward. Without having handled the majority of knives that have been discussed, I don't think I have to in order to know from what contributors have stated that they are very good / excellent knives. What I've been working through is where I stand in regards to what my needs are as a knife user, first and foremost, and balance that against my love for knives across a much broader spectrum.
One thing that snapped me to was reading a post by a member who was recommended five knives that fit into his category for a grail knife. I opened up separate windows for each of the makers, as well as dealer sites to gain a sense of price. Each knife was almost an unquestionably well built custom, and it made me realize that we are now in an era where that is not terribly surprising, given the access to materials and machinery available. Of course there are knives built on lower ends of the scale, but to the point of this thread, there is certainly separation past a point, but after that point it becomes more about personal preference because it is almost to be expected that if you are willing to pay a certain price you will most likely get a pretty great knife.
Having become saturated with information in the last year about knives, I was forced to step back and ask myself what it all ultimately meant to me when I was coming to the purchase of my next knives, knowing that what I could afford offered me a staggering amount of choices. I follow the forums closely, and have been chasing down ground balls that contributors put out there for a while. I now feel like I am a pretty informed purchaser, while not being anywhere near as well informed as the majority of a lot of the folks here. It's exciting as hell as a knife lover, but it has also left me quite middled in many ways. "Buy my first Chris Reeves at the same time Koenig and Curtiss are on the ascent?" "Shell out for one high end custom or get three top production knives and see what all the buzz is about?" My father, who always carried a simple pen knife with him, would probably think I was a fool if I showed up with a Darrel Ralph Dominator, which goes back to the various forum members who come in on the seventh page of a discussion and say, "Just get a Buck 110. It's all you'll ever need," and I find myself not necessarily disagreeing.
So in a time in which a lot of great knives are readily available to me, based on what I can realistically afford to pay for them, it has taken me not a little introspection to say that in addition to what I already own, I should focus on my personal needs at this juncture, be happy with my decisions, and then just chill out for a while despite how so much new information is constantly becoming available and that the choices are practically endless.
To that end, based on my criteria of first usefulness, then American made, I purchased a Winkler Knives F3 Folder as an EDC that I can have with me most always, and then found an older Winkler F1 Folder in the forums that I added for more work related tasks and because I too somehow believe now that two knives are better than one. A maker I have great respect for, and whose knives I believe will serve me well from everything I have (exhaustively) read. Both were in the range that this post is discussing. The Spartan Harsey Folder was about the only other choice that I considered. My enjoyment in reading all of your posts here is great. Thank you all, every day, more than could be known.

lk8fOf1.jpg

I0SUc31.jpg

I wrestled with the same decision for nearly a month before settling on a Large Sebenza. I also had a Spartan Harsay folder, Guardian Tactical Helix, CRK Inkosi and a couple of different Hinderer models in my shopping cart at various points. Chickened-out x2 before I could bring myself to pay that much money for a folding knife but, you know what? I have no regrets whatsoever. It probably doesn't get a whole lot better.

I've stepped into the $350-600 range a few times, in regular folding knives there was definitely diminishing returns after $200. With balis theres a huge increase in quality in the 300-500 range, so my more expensive purchases has been on these types of knives.
20180922-142656-HDR.jpg

My thought as well.

I have stepped into the $350+ range a few times (RHK, CRK, and Reate) but have concluded that I will be VERY careful and selective if I do it again. There are just too many arguably equally good knives in the range of $150-$250, which is where my knife money has been mainly spent.
You should both maintain that outlook, and your wallet will thank you.

I also have some $200 knives that I feel are hard to beat, such as my SpydieChef (<$200 when I bought it) and Boos Blades Smoke. I also have a couple of more expensive knives that seem hard to beat at any price: the Koenig Arius and Holt Specter. Both were $500.

Both these knives exhibit impeccable fit & finish, robust construction, incredible design with excellent attention to details, great grip comfort, a superb blade, amazing action, and peerless customer service. Really. The latter in particular is one thing I expect with more expensive knives, yet some makers fall short here, unfortunately. Not Holt or Koenig.

Still, please ignore what I said, for the sake of your wallet. There are plenty of great knives for <$200.

I've stepped into the $350-600 range a few times, in regular folding knives there was definitely diminishing returns after $200. With balis theres a huge increase in quality in the 300-500 range, so my more expensive purchases has been on these types of knives.
20180922-142656-HDR.jpg
That's interesting. Increase in build quality? Materials? Both?

That's int
That's interesting. Increase in build quality? Materials? Both?
Once you hit the $350 area you're getting full titanium scales, which drastically changes the feel. Also around that price point you start getting very finely tuned bushings and bearings, some are tuned so well the knives have zero handleplay

Let's agree to totally disagree. I've owned two of the three and handled plenty of the third, and they wouldn't make my top five, much less my top three.

To OP's original, month's ago question that you brought back to life, my favorite knife in that price range right now is the Olamic Swish.

The olamic swish wouldn't even make the conversation at my table...IMO it is not the most beautiful knife (both the blade and handle are super wizard of ozz-ish) , and that pocket clip it has on it is damn near useless and a good way not to get any carry time. Never owned 1 but fondled my friends' when he still had his, before he sold it and got himself a much better knife. CRK Large seb Insingo ( which is still his go-to)

This is all my opinion of course and I am not stating it to be fact for you, to each their own ;)

Last edited:
im around that 500 and under , and i want a knife like a tank , tool knife , i like the looks of grayman knives , a buddy bought a shiro for xmas present andi wanted to fondle it since it is mentioned here a 1,000 times, and i told him sweet knife , i just dont see it being better then prices half of their costs , but i did not tell him that, the top dollar for one would be about 500 to 600 , anything after that is inflation, its the IT knife at the moment , im proly gonna have to have a folder custom made to serve my likes , which will be high but im saving up i like olamic knives but i hear alot of bad things on them ,

Not a flashy knife
Plain in its looks
Not even a $500 knife
But it has replaced thousands of dollars of knives and lives in my pocket replacing all others
Had I met “her” first
Would have had little need to have searched further
Solidly built, will last me a lifetime, awesome customer service
Only ego could cause me to want “more”
image.jpg

Your price range is less than your smart phone which will need to be replaced shortly.

For me that price range is a Bob Dozier Folder bought on the Secondary Market.

Have only a few in this range with one on the way (my first Hinderer). Seems like the natural progression as a knife nut.

Agree that something like a sebenzza can replace many knives as stated earlier.

Having said all of this, I carry a delica or PM2 more just out of practicality. I lost a small sebbie a year or so ago and it sucks.

Tons of great users out there for 200 or less. Almost overwhelmingly so.

This has to be the most boring segment in the knife world. Aside from the aforementioned Hawks, everyone is building the same knife.

Having tread around for a long time in this $ range, my impulse is to agree. There definitely is a metric cr@p ton of options in folders between $300 and $600, as this is where every manufacturer has priced their "high-end" models, but the majority do seem to all follow the same formula. Everything I currently own is either cheaper (such as production traditionals) or slightly more expensive (customs from established makers and over-over-priced productions), so I have actively avoided this market for some time. Where I have recently found value and a chance at something unique is in the makers exchange on Bladeforums, where there is a wealth of custom options for less than $600. I would at least spend a week or two seeing what they have to offer first.

I have over 150 knives and have only paid over $350 for a couple of them, so I guess they are my favorites. They are a Spyderco Janisong and a Microtech Halo V.

I've paid as little as $10 for some but mostly between $50-250 for the rest. $400 is my absolutely limit for a knife purchase because it's the amount that I can pay for a handgun, rifle, shotgun an extra Glock slide or AR upper and I don't think that any knife is worth more than that.

Update 12/11/18:

I just bought a LNIB Hinderer XM-18 Gen 6 3" Slicer off of the Exchange for $350. So, I now own 3 "favorite" knives (out of over 150) in the $350+ club. I only bought for the purpose of comparison w/my ZT/Hinderers (0550, 0560, 0562 and 0566). I do not plan to ever buy another Hinderer.

Last edited:
Back