Thoughts And Prayers For Our Dear Friend Rob Stanley. . . .

You are missed my friend, hogs like you are a rare breed and I wish you a speedy recovery and quick return, and more Moab destruction videos - prayers, thoughts and smoke.

Horrible news. :( My prayers are with you and your family Rob! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Hi all,

Firstly - Holy crap!!! Thank you all for your well wishes, prayers, good jujus, positive vibes and lovely sentiments. I'm overwhelmed by the kindness shown by you all. It's very much appreciated.

I only just got home from hopsital today and finally have a chance to reply. I saw this thread whilst floating on the opium cloud in hospital and thought it best to write a reply when I got home haha!! :D

So, long story short - Sorry (and glad at the same time) that it's not a knife related injury. I was cleaning a spraypaint gun and it blew a hole in my left index finger and injected a ton of paint into my finger and hand. After 3 surgeries to try and clean it out, I ended up having the finger amputated. Lesson learned - Dulux Weathershield Roof & Trim is not meant to be inside you.

Jerry mentioned life altering accident and he couldn't have put it any clearer. As many of you know, I am one of those arty farty types - musician, artist, designer, vfx artist etc - and I make my living from it all. One of the biggest and fondest parts of my life is playing the guitar. I now have a massive road ahead of rehabilitation and recovery. I plan on continuing playing music, but will have to essentially relearn and adjust everything to suit my 3 fingered left hand. And on an 8 string guitar too! Yikes!!

Thanks again for all of your lovely sentiments, they really mean a lot to me. I am so glad and privileged to be a part of this wonderful community.

Hopefully I'll have some knife action to share with you all in the not too distant future!!!

Lots of love to you all from myself and Karen.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you Rob. Well, as least you can still do the chopping videos!! Hope your recovery is swift.

Thanks for checking in. We're all glad you're able to communicate and feel up to it! :D

That accident is bad enough :eek:, but I was fearing some sort of paralysis at first.

I apologize that my mind went there first, but we've gotten grave news ourselves recently about my FIL who gets progressively worse and worse and I'm a bit snakebit when the phone rings up lately, dreading what we'll be told.

I'm thankful we have a sanctuary here where we can be around the best kind of folks to help with burdens that make us blue. :)

I had a feeling a digit was lost.
You'll get there on the guitar, I once saw a guy work the slide on a dobro with a club arm.

Glad to hear you are on the mend, and in good spirits, Rob. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Good to hear you are on the mend :thumbsup: and you'll learn to adapt to the missing digit.
Its a matter of which digit picks up the slack and what the original digit's job was.
There is the pointer/nose-picker, the bird flipper, the ring finger (and we know you were recently married to the lovely Karen) and the ever important pinky for extending while enjoying a cup of tea. All important, but adaptable.

Previously, when you'd thrust your left hand in the air and point with your index finger....People would know "you're number one". You may want to give that duty to the right hand because if you now thrust that left hand in the air and use the next finger in line...…..you've told everyone " F-U !! "

I don't mean to make light of your injury, but from Jerry's original post a lot of us were fearing a much darker outcome.
Continued prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

George

Last edited:
Glad you weren’t hurt worse. Love your positivity. Best wishes to you.

I first saw this thread shortly after seeing the movie "The Package" (the 2018 Netflix original).
Seemed like a possibility. Not life-threatening, but life altering....
But enough about that.

Godspeed on the recovery and rehab.

Back