Thoughts on a Suga variant

So earlier today I was pondering knives for everyday carry, and some designs I've seen out there, and the Padam Suga came to mind. My thought was a Suga with a four to five inch blade, no thicker than a 1/4" spine, thinner and more oval handle that is also shorter and more curved. My thinking was that the curve makes it easier to fit in some places because it fits the body contours better, the curved shorter handle keeps it from jabbing you in the ribs, while being thinner so it doesn't print, and the Suga blade is an excellent design in so many ways.

Does this seem both feasible and useful to anyone, or am I having one of those days where bad ideas seem good?

Hmmm...sounds interesting, as everyone knows, I am a huge fan of the Suga blade. Maybe a drawing rendering of your idea is in order, and then we can all help in conceptualizing the end proposed product.

Well, I suck at drawing, but I can either enlist one of the many engineering majors I know to do a CAD drawing, or enlist someone better at drawing than myself to draw it up, or heaven forbid, make a crude one myself.

Sounds like a good marriage between the Suga (which is awesome) and the HI Kerambit (which is also awesome).
I think that sounds pretty good. Thin out the grip and make it a little curvier yet still keep the blade shape. You could be into something:)

I think there are a few good artists around here, maybe one will pop in and offer his/her services.

Forget me, my skill at drawings, starts and ends with "stick" figures. CAD, forget it, I got absolutely no skills or knowledge to do that.

I've been called a cad once or twice in my life, but that's as far as my expertise goes as well;)

Well, I suck at drawing, but I can either enlist one of the many engineering majors I know to do a CAD drawing, or enlist someone better at drawing than myself to draw it up, or heaven forbid, make a crude one myself.

Scara:

I've found that it's a lot easier to modify an existing picture than to do a drawing from scratch.

I suggest that you download a good photo of a Padam Suga knife from one of the many pics in this forum. Than mark your changes on the photo in heavy black pen so they show clearly, and post the result here for feedback. You can also annotate the resulting picture to indicate desired dimensions, thicknesses, anything that isn't visually obvious.

As for the handle "jabbing you in the ribs," that might be solvable by modifying the method of carry. Maybe a horizontal or 45 degree carry. There was an earlier thread in which Shavru described a sheath with a modified frog that hung more comfortably on her hip.

View attachment 473892
I made a lot of these (with variants) over the last couple years-kinda the same idea.

That's really nice JW! Have an officer here that has something similar made with even more bend to it. I really like the angle of yours better. Any more and a guy might as well get a kerambit which wouldn't be a bad thing either I guess.

If no one else does it, I can probably find the time to sketch what you're thinking up by tomorrow. By a more oval handle, do you mean like a palm swell? And which pommel (the bird shaped one, or the rounder one)?

Scara:

I've found that it's a lot easier to modify an existing picture than to do a drawing from scratch.

I suggest that you download a good photo of a Padam Suga knife from one of the many pics in this forum. Than mark your changes on the photo in heavy black pen so they show clearly, and post the result here for feedback. You can also annotate the resulting picture to indicate desired dimensions, thicknesses, anything that isn't visually obvious.

As for the handle "jabbing you in the ribs," that might be solvable by modifying the method of carry. Maybe a horizontal or 45 degree carry. There was an earlier thread in which Shavru described a sheath with a modified frog that hung more comfortably on her hip.

Drawing over a picture may work for this.

When I mentioned jabbing in the ribs, I was in particular referring to inside the waistband carry for everyday carry.

And JW, that's similar to what I had in mind, though I was thinking a curved handle instead of an angled handle.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...al-Kerambit-and-Great-Buys?highlight=kerambit

I'd give a kidney for one of these kerambit's. Wait I don't have anymore. I'll have to think of something else that works that I still got.
Yep Im ready for a Kerambit run myself.

Dont forget I still have one of your kidneys. I can stuff it in a triangle box and send it your way. Im still out of packing p-nuts tho so youll have to take it in pecans:D

How bout a Suga Folder?... got folders on the mind ever since Steve put that drawing up. The small Suga idea Is cool:thumbup:

Yep Im ready for a Kerambit run myself.

Dont forget I still have one of your kidneys. I can stuff it in a triangle box and send it your way. Im still out of packing p-nuts tho so youll have to take it in pecans:D

How bout a Suga Folder?... got folders on the mind ever since Steve put that drawing up. The small Suga idea Is cool:thumbup:

Mmm, pecans. Oh and your from Texas so you know a good pecan. Excellent.

And the feedback seems to be unanimous that my idea is worth pursuing. I'll try and get it sketched out as soon as possible.

KP513, when I say more oval, I mean having it thinner than the standard handle and less rounded in the hand. The idea there was to make it more compact so it doesn't print, and so a thumb over the spine grip would be more comfortable than the normal kukri handle. Though after looking at pictures of more Sugas, I notice that the grip is close to what I want already. What I'm thinking is eliminating the pommel to reduce length, and then a bit of a curve so there's more grip available in relation to overall length.

I've had the folding knife fever, be cool to have an HI folder but I'm a firm believer in a folding knife is a broken knife.

Not the clearest pic, but this is what I came up with based on your description. The scales say 5 in, 3.5 in and 3 in from top left to bottom right

Not the clearest pic, but this is what I came up with based on your description. The scales say 5 in, 3.5 in and 3 in from top left to bottom right

Hmm, that's along the lines I've been thinking, the bottom is closer than the top. Could you cut off the pommel and curve the very end of the handle just a little more?

With a pen and paper I certainly can. Same blade proportions, heavier curves on both handles, especially the top one.

oooh....I like the top one!

Suggestion: maybe a small guard, between the handle and cho, only on the bottom, not the top. Just to protect the fingers, so they do not slip onto the blade.

Back