Tidings and the return of Schatt and Morgan?

Jiki

Gold Member
There's a reason there are only single blade pieces at this time. Also, anybody can tell when something is wrong. Be patient and let the wheels turn.
It takes guts to take on a venture such as this.
Greg
Right, no one ever improves. Bury them.

c6WlQ5Q.jpg

3 years ago on the right, last night on left.

Cutfinger

Platinum Member
I will probably pick one up, regardless of the issues.
I could love an ugly duckling, like one in the photos. I would not be interested in that FAT stag handled one though. Jeepers !

black mamba

Gold Member
It is a quandary. Making knives with so much hand work is all about getting experienced cutlers, but there are fewer and fewer all the time. So a startup has to make do with what they can find until the cutlers gain experience and start producing quality. The first year or two has to be extremely difficult. I just don't see the value in putting out photos of such clearly deficient goods. Better to keep people in suspense than to show everyone their "dirty diapers."

qch

I'd like to suggest that everybody not rely on a few cellphone photos to judge these knives. I wrote the article and took the photos of the small Barlows. The other pictures were provided and were taken with some sort of cellphone. It's obvious to me there was lens distortion which comes from using a wide camera view or from having the lens close to the subject. That's why some features appear to have a distorted shape. The knives I handled, examined and photographed looked as though they should command a premium price.

Ramrodmb

Gold Member
I'd like to suggest that everybody not rely on a few cellphone photos to judge these knives. I wrote the article and took the photos of the small Barlows. The other pictures were provided and were taken with some sort of cellphone. It's obvious to me there was lens distortion which comes from using a wide camera view or from having the lens close to the subject. That's why some features appear to have a distorted shape. The knives I handled, examined and photographed looked as though they should command a premium price.
Hello, thanks for stopping by.
Please don’t take this the wrong way but have you handled and examined a lot of knives, premium or otherwise?

Last edited:

Quiet

"That guy"
Gold Member

Welcome! With absolutely all due respect, having used a cellphone to snap those pics didn't cause those pin cracks, poorly fitted scales, or whatever's going on with that stag handled Barlow where they should have cut about three millimeters off of the bottom of the scale before fitment instead of just bolting it up and trying to smooth those three or four mils off the top in order to get the scale to meet the bolster. (shrug)

Will Power

Gold Member
Right, no one ever improves. Bury them.

c6WlQ5Q.jpg

3 years ago on the right, last night on left.

I understand your sentiments but the analogy is far from apt. You're not attempting to make a living out of those, trade on a name or seek to charge a not insignificant amount of cash for them as you 'learn' :rolleyes: .

As I've said earlier, I hope the knives turn out well but the finish AND aesthetics certainly need sorting before they go on the market for real.

Jiki

Gold Member
I understand your sentiments but the analogy is far from apt. You're not attempting to make a living out of those, trade on a name or seek to charge a not insignificant amount of cash for them as you 'learn' :rolleyes: .

As I've said earlier, I hope the knives turn out well but the finish AND aesthetics certainly need sorting before they go on the market for real.
You do not know
A. What I have done as I learn.
B. That it is my name that I am trading on.
C. What I charge.

My apt point was not to put a final nail in a coffin and bury someone prematurely. That's all, I am not buying one of the photographed knives but I am rooting for them and waiting patiently.

Camillus

Gold Member
I will buy one. I support this venture 100%.

There are all sorts of knives at all sorts of quality levels that are sold as traditionals.

Camillus produced some truly awful pigs of knives during their later years and people love em.

Case, well.

And there are new manufacturers like lion steel who use tricks like radiussed edges all over the knife to disguise flaws.

These guys deserve support for giving it a go and I look forward to them succeeding.

3-1-1

Gold Member
Some of those in the pics look pretty good. Lets not forget that quite a few stinkers leave the WR Case factory too.

Ramrodmb

Gold Member
I will buy one. I support this venture 100%.

There are all sorts of knives at all sorts of quality levels that are sold as traditionals.

Camillus produced some truly awful pigs of knives during their later years and people love em.

Case, well.

And there are new manufacturers like lion steel who use tricks like radiussed edges all over the knife to disguise flaws.

These guys deserve support for giving it a go and I look forward to them succeeding.
Just one question. Have you handled any LionSteel products?

qch

Hello, thanks for stopping by.
Please don’t take this the wrong way but have you handled and examined a lot of knives, premium or otherwise?
I'm not sure why you bothered to write that I shouldn't take your snarky comment the wrong way. What I specifically said was "The knives I handled, examined and photographed looked as though they should command a premium price.". Specifically that is the two small Barlows in the pictures with tan-colored backgrounds as well as several others, photos of which were not published for space and variety reasons. I did not handle or see firsthand the knives in the provided photos (those with gray cloth background.

qch

Welcome! With absolutely all due respect, having used a cellphone to snap those pics didn't cause those pin cracks, poorly fitted scales, or whatever's going on with that stag handled Barlow where they should have cut about three millimeters off of the bottom of the scale before fitment instead of just bolting it up and trying to smooth those three or four mils off the top in order to get the scale to meet the bolster. (shrug)
You are absolutely right. The pin crack is not acceptable. As for the fat stag, I suppose it's a matter of taste. I didn't like it, but then I did not see the actual knife ... just the photo you all have seen. Many of the knives pictured were prototypes, certainly not dealer stock. Mr. Cooper has told us nothing that is not perfection will leave the shop. The best suggestion I can offer is to get your hands and eyes on some "for sale" knives and make your judgements.

sitflyer

Gold Member
Ny7cDF2.png

I look at these and the set of the blades into the knife looks to be all over the place, look at how differently the pulls are spaced from the handle from knife to knife...no way I will take a chance on these until they work out the bugs and get the knives at least consistently built...each knife looks like a one off compared to the others present, even the shields look to have some wide variances. Nope, not me, these don't look ready for prime time...

Jiki

Gold Member
What was the forum like back in '05-'06? I'm not going to buy one of those Great Eastern Cutlery knives they're ________. Fill in the blank. Good thing Mr Cooper has a benchmark to shoot for.;)

Last edited: