1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Time for a GAW!!!!!

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by daniel4572, Feb 2, 2017.

1. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Hey, I picked the mud turtle and #10 too! But since I am only getting to be in the contest because Daniel is being generous, I would be happy to shift over to #11 (SpyderPhreak has #11 as their backup, but I didn't see anyone picking #7) If that doesn't work I will take #12.

2. tlovesknives

tlovesknives

Apr 6, 2011
    i'd take my one and only JK Bulldog. i love everything about this blade. the blade shape is perfect for piercing, skinning and has a good belly for slicing. the thickness at 5/32 leaves me free to baton or split bone without worry of breakage or failure. the contoured micarta slabs are comfortable with zero hotspots over extended use and offer a secure grip in wet conditions. the thumb ramp is nice and comfortable and the integrated finger guard offers just a little bit of extra security and allows you to choke up without compromising other grips. plus john's O1 stays SHARP as all get out. did i mention i just flat out love this knife? :p

i'll take #18 (if available) thx for the chance!

[​IMG]

3. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Very cool GAW, I'll play please.

I would choose the GBH, it's my favorite JK I own so far! It's a handful of knife, and pretty sure it would handle most any task thrown at it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll take #14.

Thanks!
    Glenn

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Daniel, a suggestion if I may? Perhaps it would help to tabulate the entries in your original post so folks know what numbers are still available? :thumbup:

5. Kalibr906

Kalibr906

Jun 6, 2016
    Never saw the Bulldog before. I really like the wide blade with the ffg and had a nice piercing tip. Very cool knife, handle looks comfortable as well.

6. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I would take my HUDSON Bay7 inch blade, because it will handle chopping wood, making feather sticks, help with making traps and build a shelter. I will ask for # 4 if available. IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. heefageLA

heefageLA Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2015

HA! Well shoot. It really doesn't matter which number I get. Long as im in the runnings, its all good to me! :D

8. gusnuts

gusnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2015
    This seems to be getting a little confusing. I am going to try and clear things up for everyone. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but here are the posts in order.

#13 - 1066vik
    #8 - YoungCurmudgeon
    #7 - SpyderPhreak
    #11 - Abbydaddy
    #17 - Fishiker
    #9 - Greatscoot
    #5 - Gusnuts
    #10 - HeefageLA
    #12 - Kaliber906
    #18 - Tlovesknives

It looks like Glennbad and Cbach8tw picked doubles.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  9. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Every time I see a pic of a GBH I think how "Randallish" it looks......I mean that as a huge compliment to John. Thanks for posting a pic to remind me I need one:D

10. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    If someone wants to order one of those what do they call it?

11. daniel4572

daniel4572 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 30, 2005
    I kind of thought the same thing. I was waiting for someone to post a hawk. You sure u dont want in the GAW?

12. daniel4572

Oct 30, 2005
    Thanks, I did not mean for this to get confusing. I figured it would be a fun thing to do, might bring in more orders for John and for a free brand new JK with sheath a little work back and forth looking at what numbers to pick from would be worth it. I will go through this entire thread later tonight or tomorrow and post whos got what number so everyone knows just by looking at my opening post. Hope the details and pics keep coming in. After seeing the pic of the Bull dog again I think that will be my next JK knife.
    Thanks again everyone!!!!

13. daniel4572

Oct 30, 2005
    Thats a beast for sure!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

14. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I'm calling it a Recurve Camp Knife

15. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    What a cool theme for a GAW Daniel. :cool:
    I've decided I'm in after all and if I should win you can send the knife to Grunt Soldier!!
    I'm diggin' seeing all the JKs posted, any one of which I would be happy with in the scenario you describe. :thumbup:(they are JKs after all)

Out of all my JKs and for the scenario you describe with the limited items allowed I'd have to go with the Tool.
    I designed it as my go to all rounder survival/bushwacker after all.
    It has a 5 inch saber ground blade vs the usual 4" that bushwhackers like, giving me a little more tip to pound on in splitting or cross batoning.
    I wanted the 5 inches for that little bit of extra penetration in defense against the unlikely event of a cougar attack also.
    A durable G10 and Micarta handle to withstand the harshest of elements.
    A rounded spine for limiting damage to a baton and for hand comfort if using as a draw knife.
    And an exposed tang for pounding on if needed.
    I originally had John put a half round notch in the exposed tang but I found it too awkward to use so I ground it down flat.:eek::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I kinda like Peters idea of a hawk too.
    They'll chop and do finer work.
    Wish I still had mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll take poor ol' #20 since no one else wants it.

Good Luck everybody!:)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  16. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Ok, I modified mine and will ask for #4. Thanks for the opportunity.

17. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    this has always been one of my favorites T. :thumbup:

18. daniel4572

Oct 30, 2005
    DAMN!!!!
    There it is again!!!!!!

19. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003