Tired of all the pointless bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to put this here, at the risk of offending some. I assure you all though it is not directed towards one person in particular. It's a pretty common saying in many parts of the South, be it the Southwest or the "South" South.

[video=youtube;laFGAp6Ip40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40[/video]

I'm just going to put this here, at the risk of offending some. I assure you all though it is not directed towards one person in particular. It's a pretty common saying in many parts of the South, be it the Southwest or the "South" South.

I've heard it before and think of it often. And well, some days it's them, some days it's me. :D

I've heard it before and think of it often. And well, some days it's them, some days it's me. :D

Same here buddy.:)........... These days if it starts going sideways, I just walk away. I just don't have the interest or energy to assuage my ego anymore.

I think I may have unknowingly adopted that quote as my own, as I often like to say: "Think about all the problems in your life and all the bad relationships you have had, and remember that the only constant element is you."

Justified is a great show.

The trolls won't have such luck with me. :)
I'm here for the duration. :thumbup:
No matter how much they try to derail discussion, they'll never get me to shut up...just ask my wife! :D

^ You know Stabman: if every member on this forum was just like you, (me included), this forum, would be the one of the most fun places around. :thumbup: You are without a doubt, one of the nicest, coolest dudes, on this forum!

I watched this several times, RD. :D I have zero defense...it's me- I am the "A" man! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_S8qRUsm7E

Last edited:

Rev,

This is a great reminder to not be the problem, by being an "AH".

Comeuppance is not an "AH". The problem is that the people that he is complaining about don't believe they are "AH"s, and keep telling each other that they aren't. Then they come here and say "there is no problem, no rudeness, no trolling, no baiting", and then they say "If there was a problem, a mod would tell us we are a problem".

I don't see what Raylen Givens' advice has to do with this thread. Comeuppance and quite a few others have articulated a problem, and you haven't even acknowledged or denied that it exists. All you have to do is say "I don't see a problem, stop being so sensitive" or "I see what you're talking about, we'll take care of it".

But you aren't saying anything, and that silence is why people, other than me, think there is some sort of conspiracy.

I should not be the one saying these things, but, as Shinyedges points out, it is a type of suicide to complain directly to a moderator about the job they are doing. I'm not concerned about my future on BF, so I'm saying this so nice folks like Comeuppance don't have to risk getting banned any more than they already have. So instead of attacking my character/history as a reaction to this post, consider that I am only summarizing what several other people already wrote.

I agree. It's OK to disagree, but I get tired of reading pages of people just bickering and taking up all types of threads. Often the same folks. Like they are following eachother around to disagree or sumthin. If you disagree, bring up a few points and let it go. Don't beat a dead horse.

I agree with the OP. W&C is one thing, but the craptastic attitudes an 'oneupsmanship' seems to bleed over far too much. Interesting topics of substance get derailed.

Good topic, OP.

I have strong opinions but I also have thick skin. I enjoy the banter of back and forth discussion and enjoy seeing both sides of an opinion. More than once it's improved my understanding of those I don't necessarily agree with. If you can understand an opposing view, you're more likely to treat that view with respect. Sometimes the banter turns bad and gets personal. I DON'T enjoy the personal attacks that are shrouded in passive-aggresive posturing. That belongs in W&C but not in General or Manufacturer forums.

What I particularly hate to see is when a new member joins to share their favorable impressions of knife XYZ, and "expert" gold members line up to tell them what an idiot they are for liking knife XYZ. I really appreciate the Blade Forums community, but that kind of behavior ultimately hurts these fora. I don't care how much you know about knives, if you can't write with common, decent civility toward another human being, you should stay out of General.

Saying that complaining to a mod is forum suicide is nonsense. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it though. Tell anybody anywhere how to do their job in public and see what kind of response you get . If you have a legit problem and talk to a mod in private vs criticizing them in public you'll get a lot farther .

Rev,

Comeuppance is not an "AH". The problem is that the people that he is complaining about don't believe they are "AH"s, and keep telling each other that they aren't. Then they come here and say "there is no problem, no rudeness, no trolling, no baiting", and then they say "If there was a problem, a mod would tell us we are a problem".

I don't see what Raylen Givens' advice has to do with this thread. Comeuppance and quite a few others have articulated a problem, and you haven't even acknowledged or denied that it exists. All you have to do is say "I don't see a problem, stop being so sensitive" or "I see what you're talking about, we'll take care of it".

But you aren't saying anything, and that silence is why people, other than me, think there is some sort of conspiracy.

I should not be the one saying these things, but, as Shinyedges points out, it is a type of suicide to complain directly to a moderator about the job they are doing. I'm not concerned about my future on BF, so I'm saying this so nice folks like Comeuppance don't have to risk getting banned any more than they already have. So instead of attacking my character/history as a reaction to this post, consider that I am only summarizing what several other people already wrote.

Might be time to move on. It has been relatively quiet yet productive at BFC today. Got a good few recommendations from folks on a new knife I was pondering.

Very Good Point, I notice the same.... I try although not perfect that when I make a comment, or a Very Herculean statement, I try to place "IMO" inline with it as not to tilt the apple cart. Sometimes not perfect:cool: But this forum is about a community of folks that can discuss knives. Most of us would not know what to do with our time if all of a sudden BF did not exist! We might think about what we would say then, Correct? TD

I NEVER said those words, please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.
Rev,

.All you have to do is say "I don't see a problem, stop being so sensitive" or "I see what you're talking about, we'll take care of it".

[/I]

I look at it like this, the mods ARE saying something by saying nothing. That is to passively say it is OK. If a mod hasnt said anything to you or infracted you, you are good to go. I may be wrong, but when nothing is said explicitly then I assume all's good to go.

I also am hesitant to cry conspiracy . Per what I said previously, I give folks heck in whine and cheese and assert my opinion appropriately but assertively in threads such as this. I've never been dinged or talked to. And I've seen mods tell the folks we're complaining about to knock it off at times.

While not agreeing to conspiracy, I do perceive that they often give a much longer count to some individuals. That might truly be their biases, or possibly my own biases making that my perception. After all, NONE of us are without our biases. Mods aren't perfect, nor myself nor anyone.

So even if I don't always understand and agree with the mods, I can operate within the lines and get along without trouble...From the mods at least.[emoji12]

I look at it like this, the mods ARE saying something by saying nothing. That is to passively say it is OK. If a mod hasnt said anything to you or infracted you, you are good to go. I may be wrong, but when nothing is said explicitly then I assume all's good to go.

I also am hesitant to cry conspiracy . Per what I said previously, I give folks heck in whine and cheese and assert my opinion appropriately but assertively in threads such as this. I've never been dinged or talked to. And I've seen mods tell the folks we're complaining about to knock it off at times.

While not agreeing to conspiracy, I do perceive that they often give a much longer count to some individuals. That might truly be their biases, or possibly my own biases making that my perception. After all, NONE of us are without our biases. Mods aren't perfect, nor myself nor anyone.

So even if I don't always understand and agree with the mods, I can operate within the lines and get along without trouble...From the mods at least.[emoji12]

Not wanting at all to pile on here but I think the idea of a mod conspiracy is quite far fetched. The mods make corrections all the time, anyone can probably search through the last week or so and see mod comments and closed threads. People who are on the receiving side of those interactions are responsible to modify their behavior or not. There will always be arguing, but there is a difference between on target arguing and disagreement and trolling/baiting/thread derailment and it seems to me the mods have made that distinction, and the rules we are supposed to play by, pretty clear. Just my opinion.

^ You know Stabman: if every member on this forum was just like you, (me included), this forum, would be the one of the most fun places around. :thumbup: You are without a doubt, one of the nicest, coolest dudes, on this forum!

Yeah, but he's Canadian, so it cancels out.

Quoted for truth.

Yay! :D

Yeah, but he's Canadian, so it cancels out.

Ah, but I'm southern Canadian...more south than much of the USA. ;)
Does that help? :)

I think it's our inability to let things go that creates much of the bickering that's seen in some of the threads. Human nature and emotions, sometimes are an explosive cocktail for passionate people that gets them in trouble.
Where I work, we conduct a "Root Cause Analysis" study to determine the real reason when a system failure/breakdown occurs. The findings are an eye opener for some folks.
I would bet, the real problem isn't what/who everyone thinks it is. If you get down to the root cause of the bickering in some of the threads, it becomes very clear who is really provoking who.

I think it's our inability to let things go that creates much of the bickering that's seen in some of the threads. Human nature and emotions, sometimes are an explosive cocktail for passionate people that gets them in trouble.
Where I work, we conduct a "Root Cause Analysis" study to determine the real reason when a system failure/breakdown occurs. The findings are an eye opener for some folks.
I would bet, the real problem isn't what/who everyone thinks it is. If you get down to the root cause of the bickering in some of the threads, it becomes very clear who is really provoking who.

We do this at my job too. It's amazing who has to eat that big ole slice of humble pie once in a while too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back