Tired of all the pointless bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens in June?

Long backstory involving personality clashes between members and ultimatums issued. Honestly the kind of thing that would be kind of antithetical to the thread topic to go into in detail about.

Long backstory involving personality clashes between members and ultimatums issued. Honestly the kind of thing that would be kind of antithetical to the thread topic to go into in detail about.

How can an ultimatum be issued by a forum member? Members have no power, right?

How can an ultimatum be issued by a forum member? Members have no power, right?

If you want to shoot me an email I'll give you the story as I understand it, but as I said, I feel like this isn't the thread to go into the history.

Tired of all the pointless bickering?

Craytab, your last two posts, what? No use but stirring up more trouble. STFU already.

I was a member of a tech forum years ago that was killed by trolls, was one of the busiest tech forums on the net until the trolls started a bunch of garbage, this was back in 2001.

As it turned out it was all to steal members for another forum.

The 1st forum never recovered from it.

The problem is I am starting to see some of the same patterns starting to happen on BF lately....

I was a member of a tech forum years ago that was killed by trolls, was one of the busiest tech forums on the net until the trolls started a bunch of garbage, this was back in 2001.

As it turned out it was all to steal members for another forum.

The 1st forum never recovered from it.

The problem is I am starting to see some of the same patterns starting to happen on BF lately....

The trolls won't have such luck with me. :)
I'm here for the duration. :thumbup:
No matter how much they try to derail discussion, they'll never get me to shut up...just ask my wife! :D

The blatant double standard, that exists on this forum (which allows certain member's the ability to troll), is crystal clear!

I disagree. Perhaps some folks just have a hard time seeing the difference between sarcasm, pithiness, snide comments, jokes, witty barbs, etc.... and actual trolling.

I think there are many many members who are quietly tired of the BS that seems to flow so freely at the moment. I have only been a member for a few years and generally limit myself very much to the area(s) that interest me however even in that time it is obvious that the bile and animosity levels have bubbled higher. The trick is to at best ignore it, though it gets harder as it penetrates further around the forum, or just move on.

Every forum has it's share of idiots, it is a fact of life, they are best dealt with like "Special Cousin Kenny" when he sits in the corner picking his nose, just ignore it till he flicks it at you, then report him to Grandma.

What happens too often in forums is a perceived sense of "ownership" by members. The reality is there is no ownership, there is certainly loyalty, care and some investment, but no ownership. Ownership, direction, management and discipline are the realm of the actual owner and his delegates. "Membership Level", post count or size of one's member do not equate to ownership.

I disagree. Perhaps some folks just have a hard time seeing the difference between sarcasm, pithiness, snide comments, jokes, witty barbs, etc.... and actual trolling.

If the sarcasm, pithiness, snide comments, jokes, witty barbs are used to disrupt threads, get emotional reactions and are often targeted at particular members, how is it not trolling?

There are definitely some curmudgeons on the forum who are brusque to nearly everyone. That doesn't seem to be what Andy, Comeuppance, Ankerson, Stonproject, Kelama, Czechmate, LaneMeyer, Benchco Spydermade, Katanas, VanDammet, UDiver, Anaries, AdamFuzzyballs, JDBear and Hackenslash are talking about. They seem to all be agreeing that there is something systematic and often linked to W&C that is lowering the GD forum. I'm sure they could all suffer the same delusions and lack of humor that I have, but it seems pretty unlikely.

If the sarcasm, pithiness, snide comments, jokes, witty barbs are used to disrupt threads, get emotional reactions and are often targeted at particular members, how is it not trolling?

There are definitely some curmudgeons on the forum who are brusque to nearly everyone. That doesn't seem to be what Andy, Comeuppance, Ankerson, Stonproject, Kelama, Czechmate, LaneMeyer, Benchco Spydermade, Katanas, VanDammet, UDiver, Anaries, AdamFuzzyballs, JDBear and Hackenslash are talking about. They seem to all be agreeing that there is something systematic and often linked to W&C that is lowering the GD forum. I'm sure they could all suffer the same delusions and lack of humor that I have, but it seems pretty unlikely.

I think the delusion is thinking that there are special people with special hidden privileges that give them the power to troll freely. I know that many regard you as a troll, yet you're still here! :)

I think the delusion is thinking that there are special people with special hidden privileges that give them the power to troll freely. I know that many regard you as a troll, yet you're still here! :)

It might be a delusion, but you'll note it is an increasingly common delusion. Perception might not be reality; how many people sharing that same point of view does it take before something happens to correct it?

It doesn't really matter what any one of us thinks. There is a sea change going on and some people are in denial about that.

As far as me being a troll - if I get the boot, that doesn't change what other people have been up to. Either way, I seem to be someone that has brought the worst behavior of your group to the attention a larger number of people.

The fact that you guys hone in on threads like this to argue, clarify or denounce just makes it that much more obvious that something is afoot.

It might be a delusion, but you'll note it is an increasingly common delusion. Perception might not be reality; how many people sharing that same point of view does it take before something happens to correct it?

[snip]

...something is afoot.

Indeed.

[video=youtube;NzlG28B-R8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y[/video]

The trolls won't have such luck with me. :)
I'm here for the duration. :thumbup:
No matter how much they try to derail discussion, they'll never get me to shut up...just ask my wife! :D

I hear you. :D

I just don't want to deal with it personally so I just don't. ;)

It is the under sophisticated and the over sophisticated who get butthurt most.

If someone differs and takes your opinion personally, that's their baggage. You have the choice of dropping it and moving on. Life is short, so who cares about some stranger on another keyboard. Over the years I have seen waves of this stuff here. Years back it also included brand bashing. At least that has settled down. I find it amusing to see relatively new forum members getting all knotted up over disagreements, it has been going on for years. The mods take care of it if things go too sideways, always have, always will.

Arguing in a thread about arguing. How droll. We need an auto-close feature on these threads, say 4 pages and software will block any further attempts to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back