Titanium frame locks and longevity?

Aprently getting the axis lock wet and living in high moisture causes the springs to fail. I do dry them off but they stay wet most of the day when I'm at work. Live at the jersey shore

This is actually why I went with the salt knives over the benchmade h2o for use in and around the ocean. I figured those little springs might be an "Achilles heal" in prolonged exposure to high humidity and corrosive environment. I've got a ti military that's holding up just fine here. :D

This is actually why I went with the salt knives over the benchmade h2o for use in and around the ocean. I figured those little springs might be an "Achilles heal" in prolonged exposure to high humidity and corrosive environment. I've got a ti military that's holding up just fine here. :D

The high moisture is why I was looking at ti knives.

Just don't have the money to afford a sebenza that's why I was looking at things like dendra defender and dpx hest 2.0

The high moisture is why I was looking at ti knives.

Well, like I said, I live 50 yards from the Pacific Ocean in a tropical country and my favorite knives are the "salts" and ti frame locks. I don't know how long the lock on my Millie will last, but it doesn't rust and it's easy to keep clean. I'd say a well made ti frame lock would make a good edc knife in your environment.

A well built framelock will last much longer than your lifetime. Go look how many CRKs and Hinderers have worn out their locks. I'll give you a hint...it's right around 0.

Which is why we all buy Sebenzas. The don't develop lock rock at all, and a Ti framelock is just about the strongest type of lock made. (A Benchmade Axis lock is probably slightly stronger.)

A Sebenza is not immune from wear. I have a 1995 or 1996 BG-42 Regular user that developed some lock rock after about 15 years. It happens - but CRK fixed it for free under their warranty. :thumbup:

A Sebenza is not immune from wear. I have a 1995 or 1996 BG-42 Regular user that developed some lock rock after about 15 years. It happens - but CRK fixed it for free under their warranty. :thumbup:

But do liner locks get the same affect after time?

Liner locks tend to wear faster because they are generally made of much thinner material. They are still very durable locks.

After frame locks are worn out they still function don't they? They just have lock rock right?

True. Im a man of one knife. I plan on useing my knife properly and having it last a knife time, I mean a life time. And I plan on never sending it in for warranty as it is perfect.

Then you would need to buy a fixed blade. IMHO there is no folding knife in the world that will hold a lifetime if you use it daily. Even a quality fixed blade might not, due to material loss from sharpening, but a folder certainly won't.

Then you would need to buy a fixed blade. IMHO there is no folding knife in the world that will hold a lifetime if you use it daily. Even a quality fixed blade might not, due to material loss from sharpening, but a folder certainly won't.

So that would mean no one on here has one of their grandfathers everyday folders that still functions properly? Look, I hear what you're saying and sure, if you used a knife for hours a day and sharpened it 4 or 5 times a week then you are probably correct. But even on a knife forum that is the reality for almost none of us. (Well, it might be for some of us sharpening freaks :D). I just reckon most of the average users on here could get a lifetime out of any number of quality folders that are on the market today. Just my opinion. I could certainly be wrong...according to my wife that is fairly common.

Like the knives that my grandfather and father passed down and still have.....
Thank you, but the common advise to get a fixed blade does not apply here. I dont chop, pry, baton or do any of those things associated with a fixed blade. Im sorry, perhaps I should have said 10 or 20 years with actually taking care if it. I have no use for and I do not care for a fixed blade as an EDC. You need to understand im saying that a well tuned Ti-framelock can last as long if not longer than any other type of lock. This thread is about how long one can last and im saying with respect and or knowledge in how to repair and replace parts most folders can last almost a life time.
Like myself and another member stated, even a CRKT S-2 has lasted more than ten years as an EDC for my father and has just as long to go. And that is day to day. I do carry my beefy folder every day but over the period of ten years or even twenty im not whittling and breaking down boxes every single day multiple times. Im also very good at maintaining my edge with a strop and not removing much material. So if the blade does not wear out which I doubt it will I can easily adjust or replace parts if it ever wears out. Even a 20 year old buck 110 can continue as an EDC. I am not a collector just a user. I was raised to take care of what I can afford and have. I finally found a knife that I love a ZT to be exact . And I plan to take care of it. Many people today easily replace items, and act as if they are disposable. I would rather take care of what I have and save the rest of my money for my childrens college fund and to buy that ideal dream house my wife and I want. Im rambling but you get the point. Ive got diapers to change,
take care.

So that would mean no one on here has one of their grandfathers everyday folders that still functions properly? Look, I hear what you're saying and sure, if you used a knife for hours a day and sharpened it 4 or 5 times a week then you are probably correct. But even on a knife forum that is the reality for almost none of us. (Well, it might be for some of us sharpening freaks :D). I just reckon most of the average users on here could get a lifetime out of any number of quality folders that are on the market today. Just my opinion. I could certainly be wrong...according to my wife that is fairly common.

Exactly, but more direct! LOL

Last edited:
You might need to re-clarify again somehow, because that isn't true either.

Spydercobenchmadekai,
your a good kid and I really appreciate your efforts here and in PIF. But for Twelve or thirteen, you need to keep an open mind. You are very skilled and smart for your age. However you are very cocky. Relax a bit around the forums. You are very helpful with advice but your opinion is not the be all end all.I to am in the wrong or rude on occasion. Just be somewhat humble. Although not easy with all the crazyz. :)
My best to ya.

Last edited:
@spydercobenchmadkai

You might also want to do more research before posting absolutes as I've observed such as high end frame locks/Axis never fail or an overseas made knife is of slave labor and such. A lot of said information is regurgitated nonsense either made to dissuade or spread ignorance. It's always good to do fact checking

Now back on topic. In my personal use, Framelocks have been extremely sturdy however they wear quite fast, especially ones with non heat treated lock faces. I also did not like the feel in hand but that's a different story.

Sure, but grandpa's knife was a slipjoint. :)

But do liner locks get the same affect after time?

There are 8,157,642 variables that would need to be fixed to answer your question, more or less. Even then, it depends.

Really, not trying to yank your chain.

Check out some of the old slip joints in the traditional section.

Spydercobenchmadekai,
your a good kid and I really appreciate your efforts here and in PIF. But for Twelve or thirteen, you need to keep an open mind. You are very skilled and smart for your age. However you are very cocky. Relax a bit around the forums. You are very helpful with advice but your opinion is not the be all end all.I to am in the wrong or rude on occasion. Just be somewhat humble. Although not easy with all the crazyz. :)
My best to ya.

I have no idea whether you've got his age right, but if you do my old user Seb lasted more than a lifetime - his, at least, so far. :D :D :D

Back