Titanium frame locks and longevity?

There are 8,157,642 variables that would need to be fixed to answer your question, more or less. Even then, it depends.

Really, not trying to yank your chain.
Nah I get what your saying. Depends what you do and how you use it

OP, it sounds to me like a compression lock is for you. Stronger and likely longer lasting than a Ti framelock. Or if you prefer a framelock, something like the Spyderco Domino or other framelocks that use steel inserts would fit your needs. Good luck in your search!

OP, it sounds to me like a compression lock is for you. Stronger and likely longer lasting than a Ti framelock. Or if you prefer a framelock, something like the Spyderco Domino or other framelocks that use steel inserts would fit your needs. Good luck in your search!
I'm considering a superleaf but I don't care for spydercos wire clip

OP.... You're over thinking dude.

Probablly

OP.... You're over thinking dude.

This about says it. Don't over think it. Get a good solid framelock titanium or steel and give it a shot. If you get a real good one you may be surprised.
Once you own just about every production/semi production knife in the market you will see what works for you in the end. Ive owned one or two at a time of the knives ive ever wanted to give a shot as an EDC. Finally slowing in the past few years. For each persons intended use and or skill set in maintaining, any lock or non-locking knife may serve them a decade or more. But with abuse, over use or poor fit from the start any lock or blade could wear out or break. Ive worn out axis, frame, compression, liner and lock back knives in the past and all could be serviced. Everyone has a different opinion and experience. You just need to try them and keep moving forward. For most this will never ever end. But a few get lucky. You need a good specimen to start out with no matter what lock type. Whatever happens once you find it. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

You will get over the clip , go for it.

The Superleaf is a fine knife. Like a jacked up Para mili!
If you really need you can drill and tap a solid steel clip to it or get a low rider custom clip from someone. Do not let that hold you back.

Gotta agree with coldsteelrocks. Superleaf is an excellent choice and reasonably priced, hopefully leaving you room for a deep carry clip. That's definitely the route I would take!

Gotta agree with coldsteelrocks. Superleaf is an excellent choice and reasonably priced, hopefully leaving you room for a deep carry clip. That's definitely the route I would take!

And where would I go to to try to get a different clip for the superleaf? And would it fit in the already standard pre drilled holes from factory.

Why dont you just order the knife and try it as is before you worry about the clip. You may like it more than you think on this model. If not just look at any model Spyderco has to offer and simply request one in an email. You will probably have to drill and tap to make it work. Knife Kits also has clip and screw options. And any custom worker in the maker area would be able to do so for a couple dollars. First things first. Try it as is. Then take your time from there and look at clip options. Personally I love the Idea of wire clips on that knife. You almost don't even feel that it is there.

And where would I go to to try to get a different clip for the superleaf? And would it fit in the already standard pre drilled holes from factory.

Why dont you just order the knife and try it as is before you worry about the clip. You may like it more than you think on this model. If not just look at any model Spyderco has to offer and simply request one in an email. You will probably have to drill and tap to make it work. Knife Kits also has clip and screw options. And any custom worker in the maker area would be able to do so for a couple dollars. First things first. Try it as is. Then take your time from there and look at clip options. Personally I love the Idea of wire clips on that knife. You almost don't even feel that it is there.

I've actually had a spyderco manix 2 and ruined the clip within a week and my gf has a spyderco cat and bent the clip like on a 90 degree angle at work. I fixed it for her but she just drops it in her pocket. I shortly after got rid of the manix due to not liking the lock and the fragile clip was just a terrible combo.

I've actually had a spyderco manix 2 and ruined the clip within a week and my gf has a spyderco cat and bent the clip like on a 90 degree angle at work. I fixed it for her but she just drops it in her pocket. I shortly after got rid of the manix due to not liking the lock and the fragile clip was just a terrible combo.

Then you need to either drill and tap one onto it or send it to one of the guys for a few weeks.
There are a ton of great deals on framelocks and others here on BF rite now, What are your top three on your mind rite now. That would help. And forget about any issues with a wearing out framelock. They are just fine. So what is it? It is worth the wait time if the Superleaf is your perfect EDC.

Then you need to either drill and tap one onto it or send it to one of the guys for a few weeks.
There are a ton of great deals on framelocks and others here on BF rite now, What are your top three on your mind rite now. That would help. And forget about any issues with a wearing out framelock. They are just fine. So what is it? It is worth the wait time if the Superleaf is your perfect EDC.

The top 3 on my mind right now have to be the combative edge sr11 dendra defender and spyderco superleaf

Ti framelocks aren't my cup o' tea. Some of the Ti knives on the market today are truly works of art, but to my mind, for the amount of weight saved, Ti just isn't worth the cost. That's just my opinion, of course.

I have the Superleaf, and it's a great example of a rugged, heavy-duty, strong locking knife. I personally like the wire clips Spyderco uses.

Then you would need to buy a fixed blade. IMHO there is no folding knife in the world that will hold a lifetime if you use it daily. Even a quality fixed blade might not, due to material loss from sharpening, but a folder certainly won't.

I don't agree. With materials development and tolerances being what they are today, I think many of the folding knives we see on the market can be "lifetime knives" with proper care. I have a Cold Steel Mackinac Hunter that I have no doubt will outlive me and probably my son as well.

I also have an old TL-29 Electricians Knife that belonged to my grandfather, and while it doesn't lock, it's still tight with good snap in the backsprings, and a tight joint with no play. He carried it for 15+ years, and my grandmother was still using it in 2003, when she gave it to me.

Any knife can wear out - but any knife can last a lifetime as well, if properly taken care of. That applies to Ti knives too.

~Chris

Last edited:
Well I cant stand the steel type on the combative edge nor have I ever heard of the darn thing. The Dendra looks nice but im not a fan of the lionsteel models or the roto lock. But if you like the flipper. For framelocks, there is a ZT 0561 for 155$ rite now in the sale section early number and another recently made 561 like new as well for 180. Otherwise Id get the Superleaf of the three.
Your on your own with the others. Someone should chime in,
best of luck.

BTW im not aware if that is deal spotting if it is in the forum. Id think that is OK since were all a team here. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you,

Last edited:
Well I cant stand the steel type on the combative edge nor have I ever heard of the darn thing. The Dendra looks nice but im not a fan of the lionsteel models or the roto lock. But if you like the flipper. For framelocks, there is a ZT 0561 for 155$ rite now in the sale section early number and another recently made 561 like new as well for 180. Otherwise Id get the Superleaf of the three.
Your on your own with the others. Someone should chime in,
best of luck.

BTW im not aware if that is deal spotting if it is in the forum. Id think that is OK since were all a team here. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you,

I am one of those dudes who like mostly all knives for one reason or another but for a user that's a whole different story and that's what I'm struggling with finding a good user and not a just to have knife, I just sold a bunch of stuff because I had look at knives and not using knives.

Back