Titanium frame locks and longevity?

I can tell, you are all over the place with what you like. What is you day to day use and what is your preferred blade length. Do you really need extra beef if you dont use that much. Luckily im a user every day. I literally have a top ten list of every knife in the production market . And I chose to only have one. That is all I require and I use it every single day.
I think you need to keep on truckin..

I can tell, you are all over the place with what you like. What is you day to day use and what is your preferred blade length. Do you really need extra beef if you dont use that much. Luckily im a user every day. I literally have a top ten list of every knife in the production market . And I chose to only have one. That is all I require and I use it every single day.
I think you need to keep on truckin..

I do use my knife every day at work and on side things I do. My actual job is packing and preparing pallets for shipping in a warehouse. So I use my knife some to trim the extra plastic and on smaller things zip ties that have a lot of extra hanging. And then on the side I help my family who work at the docks in atlatic city. I have a pretty big hand wear a large glove so I go for bigger knives 3.5-4 inch blade 1. For comfort and 2. Bigger blade helps with the general pull cuts that I tend to do. I don't mind some heft especially when it gives you that reassuring feeling aslong as we aren't talking about 8oz knives.

That said, 30 bucks and an extra couple weeks out you could get the Super leaf with a new clip.

Last edited:
I've read your posts about this and it's really too bad you've got a thing about the Taiwan spydercos, because the Gayle Bradley would probably be about the perfect knife for you.

Congrats on the engagement btw. Don't get too stressed on this decision though. You can still buy a knife or two after you get married. Hell, if you're lucky you might even get one for Christmas! :D

Yes on the Gayle Bradley. That's a linerlock, but the liners are steel and very thick. If there was ever a lifetime linerlock, that one's probably it. :thumbup:

I've read your posts about this and it's really too bad you've got a thing about the Taiwan spydercos, because the Gayle Bradley would probably be about the perfect knife for you.

Congrats on the engagement btw. Don't get too stressed on this decision though. You can still buy a knife or two after you get married. Hell, if you're lucky you might even get one for Christmas! :D

The high moisture is why I was looking at ti knives.

Just don't have the money to afford a sebenza that's why I was looking at things like dendra defender and dpx hest 2.0
This is probably mentioned on page 2-5 somewhere but for that choice the DPx HEST/2.0 isnt a good choice as its D2 (maybe the military/"Assault" version or a different model, I believe they use Sleipner, but now looking at its comp it doesn't appear to be stainless either).

I notice on page 1 someone mentions the sage 2 and that's about the only Ti frame lock I'm currently interested in (cause I can't afford a CRK) so does anyone else have/care to share experiences with their S2's?

I've had the Sage 2 for about a week now. In my limited experience with it it's a very stiff, very strong lock!

I don't foresee ANY issues with it under normal EDC functions. It's just a solid overall knife that's a great value for what you're getting.

I'm starting to get over the Taiwan thing. USA production knives don't seem what they used to be. Played with my cousins emerson cqc 8 and then his szabo and the emerson was almost laughable compared to the quality of the spyderco. The spyderco was a huge one I didn't even know they made any knives that big. Too big for edc though.

Spyderco makes top notch products. I love ZT, Benchmade, etc. but I have noticed over the last few years my collection of folders has become mostly spyderco with a few other brands mixed in.

I still have one of those old CRKT S2s it was my first titanium frame lock and it has held up well even though its a cheapy and almost ten years old.
null_zps728c809f.jpg

If a cheap CRKT can last a decade I have no doubts that a Spyderco or ZT lockbar could probably outlast the user.

The S-2 is an awesome Ti knife with great ATS34 blade steel. It is a poor mans affordable Sebenza and a great working EDC. It will be around when only the cockroaches are the only remaining life form.

My thing is i cant find a paramilitary 2 and have been looking for almost a year. I always miss out on places when they come in stock and i want to buy a brand new one from a dealer not second hand.

My thing is i cant find a paramilitary 2 and have been looking for almost a year. I always miss out on places when they come in stock and i want to buy a brand new one from a dealer not second hand.

There is a list of dealers in my sigline, contact any of them and ask if they will put you on a preorder list. You'll get one thwt way, NIB. :thumbup:

The S-2 is an awesome Ti knife with great ATS34 blade steel. It is a poor mans affordable Sebenza and a great working EDC. It will be around when only the cockroaches are the only remaining life form.

But what about Keith Richards? The only thing that will outlast the cockroaches is Keith Richards. Will it outlast him? :p

CRKT may not have the best rep around here for quality and heat treat, but they have a few that are definitely a step above their regular production models, and the S2 is one of them. I had a chance to buy one years ago, and passed on it, because I didn't know what it was.

I've seen a lot of the various CRKT models around here (Northern California) and ranch work can destroy a knife pretty quickly. Most are well-used but still lock up strong and work just fine.

Lots of good advice in this thread, I think the OP will just have to compromise a little and get what best fits his requirements, then change things up later as needed.

~Chris

But what about Keith Richards? The only thing that will outlast the cockroaches is Keith Richards. Will it outlast him? :p

CRKT may not have the best rep around here for quality and heat treat, but they have a few that are definitely a step above their regular production models, and the S2 is one of them. I had a chance to buy one years ago, and passed on it, because I didn't know what it was.

I've seen a lot of the various CRKT models around here (Northern California) and ranch work can destroy a knife pretty quickly. Most are well-used but still lock up strong and work just fine.

Lots of good advice in this thread, I think the OP will just have to compromise a little and get what best fits his requirements, then change things up later as needed.

~Chris

Yea seems like it because there is so much to like but nothing is exactly perfect. I guess I'll have to get close enough then get what makes it perfect done to it and make it mine.

I don't try to keep up with Bradley, but a lot of people have had good things to say about the Alias knives.

Keep an eye out in the exchange I've seen quite a few for sale that are new in the box. If not you could always preorder one from Knifecenter.

Awh man... I made one of them 3am decisions last night. Ordered a superleaf when i couldn't sleep last night. Hope it ends up being a good decision should be here end of week.

I'm sure the Super Leaf will work out just fine. Just curious what made you finally give up on the made in the US requirement?

Back