Tool Steal vs Stainless ...

An old thread that caused a lot of interesting discussions on a famous knife makers product breaking under hard use, brought up more Qs/thoughts for me. One of the best posts was by Jerry Hossom (1) on possible reasons for the failure. However, one statement in particular really jumped out at me:

Because stainless steels are not as tough as tool steels, but they also don't rust and to many, especially those in the military, rust resistance is a key consideration.”

I know there's a lot to unpack in such a statement (and he does in the full post) but I still thought that was an interesting overall assessment. No doubt, some of that depends on the tool steal and the stainless, but I also suspect the top end stainless steels may only be marginally better, if at all, to much less expensive tool steels in terms of shear abuse it will tolerate before failure. Other factors like edge retention and so forth has to be considered, but that and other threads, etc make me wonder if using stainless steels - other than the main concern of rust - is really the right stuff for the job in a large fixed blade knife intended for field use. That is, pretty much expected to anything it's asked of under worst case conditions.

Mostly thinking outloud, but it's not uncommon to hear some say for example S30V is not an optimal steel for a hard use field knife. I know, HT makes a big difference and all that, and I don't discount that at all and there's no doubt in some designs, S30V is a great choice.

It also goes without saying very few people will ever push a well made knife made from quality stainless to the point of failure anyway, so more intellectual interest than real world for most.

To be honest however, a knife you need to sharpen more often and wipe down with a oily rag occasionally is preferable to a knife that's failed totally under hard use conditions, not to be confused to abuse no knife is expected to survive. Of those two options, I'll take the former over the latter.

If someone wanted tolerance to abuse/hard use over all else, such as edge retention, rust resistance, etc, it sounds like all things being equal (size, grind, design. etc) one is better off with quality tool steel via Hossom's quote above, at least as it applies to large fixed blades intended to handle what ever is thrown at them. Top end of carbon steel would be CPM V3 perhaps?

No doubt, knife makers are under much pressure to use latest greatest super steel and that plays a big part of what they use.

Like any industry, you have to keep pumping out new and better to stay relevant, so that has to be factored also.

Thoughts? (Flame suit on)

(1) https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...on-test-completed.543407/page-16#post-5493834

So much depends on design: I'd trust my F1 in VG-10 anywhere.

I hear nothing but good things about VG-10, don't know much about F1.

This was prior to the invention of sharpened prybars.

Crisis averted.

I love me a sharpened prybar, but those too seem dependent on the issues I bring up. No doubt less so as they get silly thick, but I used the "all things being equal" term to account for that...

I think folks have always had unrealistic expectations of hand made knives.

They get an expensive knife in the latest hot steel and then they wreck it and then keep repeating that cycle but they can't realize they're the problem.

The issue/my comments are unrelated to handmade or factory produced. People may have unrealistic expectations of either to be sure but I set the parameters in the OP. I expect a field/survival/utility fixed blade to tolerate a lot of hard use, and have done so. I'm less confident most stainless steels will perform without failure vs other choices however and interested to see if that's supported

Fallkniven's F1 is the Swedish Air Force's survival knife. I've used mine quite a bit for bushcraft and hunting -- excellent skinning/field dressing knife. VG-10 holds an edge as well or better than high carbon steels, though a bit more time-consuming to sharpen.

Fallkniven's F1 is the Swedish Air Force's survival knife. I've used mine quite a bit for bushcraft and hunting -- excellent skinning/field dressing knife. VG-10 holds an edge as well or better than high carbon steels, though a bit more time-consuming to sharpen.

I have a Spiderco Lum Tanto in VG10, but have not used it for anything to date.

The issue/my comments are unrelated to handmade or factory produced. People may have unrealistic expectations of either to be sure but I set the parameters in the OP. I expect a field/survival/utility fixed blade to tolerate a lot of hard use, and have done so. I'm less confident most stainless steels will perform without failure vs other choices however and interested to see if that's supported
It's hard to put old statements from knife makers into current context because steel keeps evolving.

I think there are a lot of super steels that are in the have it all category with only minor variations between rust resistance, edge retention etc.

If someone planning to take a knife into a life or death situation that involves hard use in an extreme environment it's on user to do their homework.

I have super stainless steel knives and I have modern tool steel knives and I like them both. I live the we area surrounded by much drier areas. Not total rain forest or salty seashore conditions but it's still wet. The only time I've even seen rust on my carbon on my regular users is between forcing a patina and cleanup right after. Once that's done their find.

It's hard to put old statements from knife makers into current context because steel keeps evolving.

I think there are a lot of super steels that are in the have it all category with only minor variations between rust resistance, edge retention etc.

If someone planning to take a knife into a life or death situation that involves hard use in an extreme environment it's on user to do their homework.

I have super stainless steel knives and I have modern tool steel knives and I like them both. I live the we area surrounded by much drier areas. Not total rain forest or salty seashore conditions but it's still wet. The only time I've even seen rust on my carbon on my regular users is between forcing a patina and cleanup right after. Once that's done their find.

I don't disagree per se, but that was 2008, and he does mention S30V for example, which wile not the latest greatest wonder steel, not exactly 420A either. Personally, per OP comments, there's a lot of pressure to keep develop (seemingly) superior wonder steels but I need more convincing what's offered changed all that much since his comments on the matter. I also like to distill seemingly complex topics to their base truths if/where possible. So far, I'm at if one wants the toughest all around steel at it applies to overall ability to tolerate what ever is thrown at it over say edge retention and rust prevention, quality carbon steel seems the way to go, which also should translate into some $ savings, but that too may vary.

I note Hossom used 3V on his Retribution. Not sure on his other offerings.

3V is supposed to be a pretty nice steel.

This should also be split into folder vs. fixed. Folding knives have their own set of issues when it comes to rust.

3V is supposed to be a pretty nice steel.

This should also be split into folder vs. fixed. Folding knives have their own set of issues when it comes to rust.

Thread is strictly about fixed blades expected to be, built/marketed for, hard use as field/survival/utility type knives. Folders are a whole other animal and it makes perfect sense using steel less likely to rust, retain and edge, etc would be used in a folder.

It makes me wonder how pioneers in the old west could get by with thin and weak knives of old steels in their daily chores, trekking across forests, deserts, prarie's and mountains, hunting, farming, driving cattle, building cabins... It just goes to show how much stronger a knife today's average person's needs while sitting at a computer all week and banging their knives on wood during the weekends. :p

It makes me wonder how pioneers in the old west could get by with thin and weak knives of old steels in their daily chores, trekking across forests, deserts, prarie's and mountains, hunting, farming, driving cattle, building cabins... It just goes to show how much stronger a knife today's average person's needs while sitting at a computer all week and banging their knives on wood during the weekends. :p

Well, they may have snapped a few, can't say. They had muskets too. I'll still take an AR. But yes, your point is true enough! But my point also comes full circle in a sense as they were using carbon steels. I have seen a few Bowies and such from back in the day, and they were far from thin. I do know some of dudes who snapped their K Bar in half while in the mil and didn't think much of them.

I certainly am not the most knowledgable on all steels and all the variables possible ...

but if you knew the intended use and requirements for performance ... couldn't some of the stainless steels be catered through heat treatments and of course thickness and geometry to perform closer to what tool steels that are used for most larger blades?

I may be completely wrong ... but I have a few stainless blades that seem to have the toughness that others in the same stainless steels don't ... and I attribute it to the heat treat mostly and then the blade grind.

I'm curious to see what those who know far more then me think about it.

I'm going to say this feels like a bit of a red herring. If the knives aren't failing because of rust then switching that person to a stainless steel seems like something else is going on.

Not gonna lie I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what you are asking. I think you are asking that if I have two 100%(geometry,HRC, etc) identical fixed knives, one in Stainless one in tool steel which is better(will catastrophically fail to be a useful knife) for hard use/abuse, assuming they must perform ANY task under ANY situation.? IMO this is much too broad a question, as the steel choice and exact conditions are key, but here goes, full on desk survivalist go!

I would then feel that based on the stipulation of ANY task ANYsituation, I would take the stainless. My primary reasoning is due to the ANY stipulation I am going to assume this mean a lack of basic care for an extended period of time, meaning rust, and the weaknesses it causes become a bigger issue and I am supposing that this would ultimately weaken the carbon steel faster and therefore it would fail due to rust weakening before the stainless (most likely the edge would be garbage making it a useless knife, more so than snapping in half or what have you).

Glad to be of almost no help, have a good day!

Not gonna lie I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what you are asking. I think you are asking that if I have two 100%(geometry,HRC, etc) identical fixed knives, one in Stainless one in tool steel which is better(will catastrophically fail to be a useful knife) for hard use/abuse, assuming they must perform ANY task under ANY situation.? IMO this is much too broad a question, as the steel choice and exact conditions are key, but here goes, full on desk survivalist go!

I would then feel that based on the stipulation of ANY task ANYsituation, I would take the stainless. My primary reasoning is due to the ANY stipulation I am going to assume this mean a lack of basic care for an extended period of time, meaning rust, and the weaknesses it causes become a bigger issue and I am supposing that this would ultimately weaken the carbon steel faster and therefore it would fail due to rust weakening before the stainless (most likely the edge would be garbage making it a useless knife, more so than snapping in half or what have you).

Glad to be of almost no help, have a good day!

My only thought on that is, you'd have to be out in the field a long time before the amount of rust (and that's assuming no access to anything that would help reduce corrosion) before the amount of rust actually made the knife structurally weaker. I can't say that aspect would be on my personal list of concerns, unless say I was operating in salt water environments or such.

I'm going to say this feels like a bit of a red herring. If the knives aren't failing because of rust then switching that person to a stainless steel seems like something else is going on.

Well, that's is more or less my point, but marketing/market pressures are a big factor, and some perhaps more focused on say edge retention, and other properties.

Back