TOPS Power Eagle 12

Hi mistwalker -

Another excellent review -

Thanks for taking time to review the knife and post all the pictures up! I really enjoyed reading your review.

best regards -

mqqn

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

I am mostly an ESEE guy and this machete knife blows me away. It does not get any better than this in the machete knife category. I have got to have this. Price is right as well. Great review man you covered all the important points. Thank you.

I was on a forum today where former Special Ops were talking about the 5 all time best combat blades, a< Smatchet> was mentioned several times. So I Googled it, it lookes very similer to the Power Eagle. The blade at 12 inches is a bit short,Col Applewoods verson I think was a 16 or 17 inch long blade. I see a Power Eagle ending up in my get home bag.

I was on a forum today where former Special Ops were talking about the 5 all time best combat blades, a< Smatchet> was mentioned several times. So I Googled it, it lookes very similer to the Power Eagle. The blade at 12 inches is a bit short,Col Applewoods verson I think was a 16 or 17 inch long blade. I see a Power Eagle ending up in my get home bag.

The Smatchet was double edged...

I am mostly an ESEE guy and this machete knife blows me away. It does not get any better than this in the machete knife category. I have got to have this. Price is right as well. Great review man you covered all the important points. Thank you.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the post. This is definitely my favorite heavy duty machete.

I could definitely see the P.E. being a great addition to a get home bag in some environments :thumbup:

I'm kinda late to this thread. Nice Review Mistwalker (as always).

The Knife definitely puts me in mind of a single-edged Fairbairn Smatchet as has already been mentioned.
Archeriomc: the original models were only around 10"-11" long. Col. Applegate had no input on their original design, although he was involved with the later versions of the WW2 Commnado daggers. Those later versions were referred to as the AF (Applegate/Fairbairn) dagger.

Last edited:
Had to order one of these. If I like it as much as I think I will, then the 9.5" bladed version will end up in my stable also.

I think it's pretty sweet. There is a 9.5" version?

TOPS had a prototype on display at SHOT. According to the video I saw, it's supposed to go into production in a few weeks. I'm happy. I like the looks of the knife, but it's just too big for me. The scaled down version, on the other hand...

TOPS had a prototype on display at SHOT. According to the video I saw, it's supposed to go into production in a few weeks. I'm happy. I like the looks of the knife, but it's just too big for me. The scaled down version, on the other hand...

Cool thanks. I couldn't find it on their website, but I didn't make it to SHOT. I will definitely have to check that out when it comes out.

Got mine today- Great chopper! My brother & I put it thru it's paces and were blown away. Got a great deal on it also. He owns two big Busses yet he seemed a little jealous.

Sorry to drag up this old review, but I have a question for Mistwalker about this knife. I have small paws, and the handle looks pretty wide. How would you compare it to a Becker handle (or even the KaBar Heavy Bowie type handles), size-wise?

its not that wide at all and the area were your index finger wraps around is skinny for machete like snap cuts
i prefer its handle to my junglas ( wich is a very comfortable handle) simply for that narrrow bit before the guard and i dont have the biggest hand my finger tips touch my palm while grasping even at it fattest

Another quality review. I just bought a Condor Barong machete so I'm I won't be reaching for TOPS model, but the review shows it's a convincing all around chopper.

its not that wide at all and the area were your index finger wraps around is skinny for machete like snap cuts
i prefer its handle to my junglas ( wich is a very comfortable handle) simply for that narrrow bit before the guard and i dont have the biggest hand my finger tips touch my palm while grasping even at it fattest

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

I would have to say that sums up my thoughts as well.

Another quality review. I just bought a Condor Barong machete so I'm I won't be reaching for TOPS model, but the review shows it's a convincing all around chopper.

Thank you, it's a little heavy for what I want on long hikes in the hotter months of the year here but I really love the chopping power it has in the colder months!

Great review Mist. I have been looking at that for a while now. I just need more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. LOL

Back