Toughest fixed blade you know of

My toughest fixed blade knives are Busse, including Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard.

If I had to pick one it would either be the Busse Combat Basic 10 or Swamp Rat Battle Rat, both with around 10" blades, finger choils, and Resiprene C handles.

Last edited:
My choice is no longer made. The Lakota Hawk! A true beast of a knife. Have had it since the 80's. Used and abused coming through with flying colors.

Had 2 of the Hawks, and 2 of the Hawk folders. Sold them all. Been kicking myself for years....

:

May as well get these guys into the act. Miller Bros make some very over built and over priced knives, and they are hard to come by.

n2s

If you had to pick one SHTF knife that you’re absolutely sure won’t fail on you, what would it be? It can chip, roll, or take minor damage but it can’t suffer a catastrophic failure. I’m thinking along the lines of the BK2, ESEE 5, or maybe a Busse.

Gentlemen, choose your poison.

the bolo style machete in 1075 is hard to beat from a toughness standpoint - and can be had for $20-30 if you don't mind doing clean up work and sharpening, if you want a better fit/finish look at the condor lineup - it's great

otherwise 5160 is super tough... some bucks can be found in this steel from c&c
ontario makes a nice 5160 blade also:
6520.jpg

those 2 steels are the toughest stuff on a budget

never thought a sheath could be over-tactical .... I was mistaken ; )

...also .35" made me laugh, I thought a 1/4" was the limit on thickness, I mean, why stop there? busse should make some 1/2" thick monster and sell it for hundreds lol

Last edited:
I have used this to cut mostly through an aluminium car door and then twist it off. Very little chipping despite it being well below freezing that night. D2 steel and .25 thick. CMFTW (RIP brother) made. It is the toughest knife I have personal experience with.
Terror-Pope.jpg

How about T.M Hunt M-18 ? It's built to tackle a slew of outdoor tasks like woodworking, chopping, skinning, and other finer chores with ease. What I like about this knife ?

(1) Built like a tank.
(2) Unique blade geometry designed to tackle anything and everything outdoors.
(3) Rounded scales and well placed jimping provide a comfortable grip and precise blade control.
(4) Made in the U.S.A

81PhdQp.jpg

T.M. Hunt Custom M-18 Fixed Blade Knife
16" knife with a 10" O1 cleaver style blade.
Weighs 1 lb 12 oz.

never thought a sheath could be over-tactical .... I was mistaken ; )

...also .35" made me laugh, I thought a 1/4" was the limit on thickness, I mean, why stop there? busse should make some 1/2" thick monster and sell it for hundreds lol

Ak sw and bowie.jpg

The larger knife has a 3/4" thick spine. It was a one off that was made for me by Uncle Bill at Himalayan Imports. Made from 5160 (Mercedes Truck springs).

n2s

Several knives in this thread look like they’ve never been used. I’m not saying they aren’t quality blades from reputable sources; but it’s hard for me to have faith that a knife is tough if I’ve never used it.

And, that Rambo knife has no business in this thread.

Several knives in this thread look like they’ve never been used.........

Beware if you ever see me walking down the street with that giant HI Bowie; it would probably mean that my nephews were successful in cloning T-Rex.

n2s

Last edited:
Seriously, you could have the best knife from the best company; but if you’ve never tested it out, how do you know you don’t have that one in a million blade with a micro-fracture in it that will shatter on first use?

Back