Traditional French Fry day

I'd say cedar (thuja #thuya) burl. Briar is way darker.

Mine is definitely briar, it was advertised as briar when I bought it and the grain is correct for briar burl (the other side of the knife shows the briar grain better). It was pretty light when I got it, and has darkened since I took that picture.

Today was ironwood/Chambriard day
grxxIgj.jpg

The pressures are great around here!!:)
If you have big hands, and/or like a Laguiole, you might want the larger size, Vince!!
The Capuchadous I pictured are 10cm. The one in the video is 12cm I believe!
I definitely prefer the 12cm. Fits the hand better. These French knives are extraordinary!

I acquired this Laguiole "in the dark"!!! I know little about it, except it cost almost nothing.:rolleyes: The printing on it is with a shallow etch, and almost gone.
It says "Laguiole" over "Poyet-Coursolle".It is a smaller knife; at 9cm closed.
Can anyone cast a little light on it??o_O:)
Poyet Coursolle A.jpg Poyet Coursolle B.jpg Poyet Coursolle C.jpg

I acquired this Laguiole "in the dark"!!! I know little about it, except it cost almost nothing.:rolleyes: The printing on it is with a shallow etch, and almost gone.
It says "Laguiole" over "Poyet-Coursolle".It is a smaller knife; at 9cm closed.
Can anyone cast a little light on it??o_O:)
View attachment 1229199 View attachment 1229200 View attachment 1229201
Charlie, Poyet is an old name in Thiers, I found Poyet-Sivet in a 1920 repertory but then it disappears as such. I know that it made Laguioles (there's someone looking for infos in another forum ;)). Btw, "véritable" strikes again! :D:D
Poyet-Sivet-20.jpg
(picture ©seb36)
849806DSC0566.jpg

The name is used after WWII by Coursolle and registered as Tarrit-Poyet.
Coursolle changed of hands several times. After WWI it was Coursolle-Fédit.
Coursolle-Fédit-33.jpgTarrit-Poyet-53.jpg
One can think that Coursolle (see an old catalogue) - now Couperier-Coursolle since 1968 - was mostly specialized (and still is) in all metal folders, and used other names to sell Laguioles.
The Laguiole can be seen as a lifeline when trade was low. Jean Issard once stated that they started making Lags when Chinese table knives flooded the market.

- couple of days late, forgive me

The very inviting town of St Paul De Vence had one very nice little coutelerie that I spied with the missus

Despite there being some wonderful tempting examples of French knifemaking, as it was the end of a not so inexpensive holiday, I restrained my wallet to this humble yet fine picnic folder

Nice tidy shop, Paul! And you will enjoy your next picnic that much more!!:)

This thread is way too interesting to allow it to languish into the past!!
If you have time, there is some nice reading here!!

Back