Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pàdruig, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Yes, they are. Light weight and straight forward. A great semi-auto .22. It's 40 years old and carries well (esp with the new Butler neoprene sling that I added today), shoots where I point, and stays clean. May or may not add a scope. I already have several .22 guns with scopes and a lighter carry is great.
    - Stuart

2. StubbyThumbnail

StubbyThumbnail Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2016
    The 10/22 Deluxe Walnut stocked models are very nice. I have one which I believe is one year older than yours which I bought while in college.
    This is a 1952 vintage Marlin 336 and a Shapleigh hardware jack of which I have no idea of vintage. Maybe someone here can shed some light on that for me. I would imagine a very similar combination has been carried many days afield.

IMG_0421.jpg

3. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Marlin 39 TDS I shot this last weekend at the river along with one of dads case muskrats. Fun rifle with a 16” barrel image.jpg image.jpg

4. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    My maternal grandfather gave me a Western Arms side-by-side in .410 bore when I was around 11 years old and it was my all around shotgun (I had a Springfield model 84C .22 rifle). When I was 15, my stepfather gave me his Browning "Sweet Sixteen" (Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium 1955). He had long before given up hunting for golf, all to my benefit. I carried this shotgun with me, in the trunk of my parents' cars or a friend's, almost all the time, except for dead summer months. The stock bears the scars. For doves, quail, and a few bunnies and ducks, that .16 was grim death. I used it in college, but it went silent during my law school years and for too long after. It woke up well after I moved to Virginia and met a few kindred folk. The GEC #48 Woodcock is a kind gift from my Tennessee brother, Ron @Half/Stop .

[​IMG]

Note the price marked on the box:

[​IMG]

- Stuart

5. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    A great post and story my friend! And, a beautiful old Browning. I’m sure it could tell some stories! Stay safe and well my brother! :) :thumbsup:

Duckdog likes this.
  6. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
  7. willard0341

Dec 18, 2013
    Im out at the Ohio river, cant really get a good group so i decided to stop. Brought my bicycle along so time to go for a good long ride. Have a good weekend PhotoPictureResizer_20200613_115045_copy_3024x2268.jpg

8. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Those handguns can be frustrating to shoot accurately. Still big fun. And bikes! I love my bike!

315, Will Power and willard0341 like this.
  9. willard0341

Dec 18, 2013
    Thanks for the good words

10. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Looks like a good group to me. You hit the plate. If I'm hitting the plate, I consider it a good group ;)

11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I usually hit what I'm aiming at...
    [​IMG]

12. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks, pal.
    - Stuart

Half/Stop likes this.
  13. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Gonna shoot some life into this thread.

Winchester Model 70 Varmiter with bull barrel in .243 Win. from 1961 (with 6 X 24/50 mm scope, it weighs the same as my F-150 SuperCrew, but it will stack up groundhogs in the same hole); Case 22087 premium jack in black Delrin (1965-1969); and a Buck model 119 in black phenolic resin (some time pre-1986).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Stuart

14. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Love the pre-'64; did you acquire it back in the day or more recently? And of course who doesn't love the BUCK!

15. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks. I bought it about 15 years ago from a hunting buddy who was a deputy sheriff and had purchased some firearms from the widow of the Sheriff's office armorer. It is scary accurate. Whistle pigs at 300 yards = dust (I use shooting sticks now, I don't like wounding). It is not a preferred deer gun (need a 4-wheeler to get to the stand), so its utility to me is a bit limited, but I love it.
    - Stuart

16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    For Father's Day weekend, I'll be using some of my favorite caliber: .44s.

[​IMG]

17. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Whoa! Jeff! Do you have a mouse problem?

18. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Stuart, I’ll take a blued gun with a wooden stock any day of the week over synthetic and stainless.

redsparrow likes this.
  19. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    While the new synthetic-clad stainless guns of today are routinely accurate, light weight, and easier to maintain, there is more beauty and romance in your days afield with a 60 year old walnut and blued gun that you respect with fond memories. As you know, hunting is more than the shooting.
    - Stuart

20. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Touché

Duckdog likes this.