Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pàdruig, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Of course!:D

It's almost the same vintage as Orson Welles and 'War of the Worlds' proving that mass hysteria and group-think go back a long way and continue to have an immense hold over people even today. Masks on everybody!! ;)

ArchVV, JSutter and Patrick Robbins like this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Me too!! But ya'd be surprised how many guys do. I was.

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I read of a Texas Ranger who carried a .45 Auto (1911) cocked and unlocked, with the grip safety tied down with a leather strap, tucked into his waistband in front. I wouldn't do that.

4. Tigerfan

Tigerfan Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Jul1 collage.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  5. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I think they call that the "appendix carry".... but I think of it more like the "gonad carry". I'll stick with the strong side at about 2:30 or so, depending on my belt loops.

chris97 and JohnDF like this.
  6. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    JB thanks for joining the discussion. I took a closer look at the Victory models. tongueriver was kind enough to send me scans from a couple of his books that had info on the 38 S&W revolver.
    Even though they are commonly called a pre 10, Smith named them the .38 Hand Ejector M&P. Mine is the 1905 (4th change) model apparently made for the British Common wealth and chambered in .38/200 or .38 S&W.
    S&W began producing the Victory Models at serial number 1,000,000 in 1942. The serial number on mine is 731,xxx making it a ca 1939 to 1940 model. With over 6,000,000 produced there are many survivors and an interesting collectable.

willard0341 and Prester John like this.
  7. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Its a commercial model .38/200 British Service Revolver, the Victory models had a V or VS prefix, April 1940 production began with SN 70000, the grips should be numbered to the gun, the monograms were early production. The contract for 4” versions was by the British Purchasing Commission 6/17/40.

The 4” barrels were not uncommon so it might not have been cut down, all were equipped with butt swivels. On most pre war guns the SN was under the barrel, on the front of the cylinder, in addition to the butt. Nice condition, the grips were usually trashed during the war. My information comes from “Smith and Wesson 1857 -1945” by Robert Neal & Roy Jinks.

Prester John and redsparrow like this.
  8. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007

redsparrow likes this.
  9. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Remington Baby Bullet lockback, 1984. (Thanks, @JohnDF.) The gun is a S&W Model 66 with 2 1/2" barrel. The cartridges pictured are .357 Magnum, 110 gr semi-jacketed hollow points, which was the duty round of the United States Border Patrol about 1996, when they switched over to autos. I think the BP went with the .357 Sig, if I recall. Most agencies went with the .40 S&W. An agent gave me two boxes back then, since he didn't need them anymore. (Incidentally, I don't think most cops know how to shoot revolvers anymore; I had a Texas Ranger -- lawman, not baseball player -- ask me how a revolver worked. :eek: I was shocked, but guess I shouldn't have been.) After many years, I finally shot one of the boxes, and have about 2/3 left of the other box. I've shot lots of other ammo, though. And a LOT of .45 ACP. And .38 Special.

Have a Happy Fourth of July everyone!

FLymon, JSutter, JB in SC and 12 others like this.
  10. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Love my 66 also. Thumbs up!

Prester John likes this.
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Great picture right there. :cool::thumbsup:

One of my biggest gripes is in the movies and TV shows. I hate it when somebody hands somebody else a revolver and says, "Don't worry, the safety is on". Stupid Hollywood. :mad:

12. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Yeah, I heard a really funny line in a Springsteen song: ..."spinning like the barrel on a gun..." :D:D:D

Misplaced Hillbilly and JohnDF like this.
  13. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Thanks! Almost used Winchester ammo! But they were Silvertips--like the Lone Ranger used! :p

Misplaced Hillbilly and JohnDF like this.
  14. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Thanks! Got two .357's: the 66 and a Dan Wesson in blued steel, 8" barrel.

15. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I don't know how many times I've been reading a novel and a character mentions the safety on their Glock. You'd think that if an author was going to be specific about the gun his character is carrying, they could do 5 minutes of internet research fpalm.gif

16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Not just Hollywood.
    In the book Gorky Park, our hero locates the safety catch on the left side of the revolver. (Being Russian, the character is unfamiliar with revolvers, but that doesn't excuse the author .)

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  17. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    It may be a stretch to help the writers and probably not what they had in mind but some of the newer S&W have the Hillary hole on the left

18. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Gorky Park is an old book.

Scott J. likes this.
  19. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    And I must admit I never heard of a Hillary hole.
    [I looked it up.]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Scott J. likes this.
  20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Maybe he was referring to a pepperbox? :rolleyes: