traditional knives in movies

Great work Barrett :thumbsup: I also watched Twin Peaks when it originally aired GT, me and my missus at the time were glued to it. Mid-series we moved to France though, and I made my brother promise to record it for me. Six months later, we sat down to watch it, and just thought 'What the...?!' I guess the spell was broken! :D I'm just re-watching Dexter, lots of traditional content! :eek: :D ;)

I did not read all of the pages in this thread, so it may have been mentioned.
It's not a movie but it's a classic, The Andy Griffith Show. Off the top of my head I can remember a townsfolk whittling something in front of the courthouse, once when Andy used his pocket knife to take some of Aunt Bees lipstick to put on Barney while he was sleeping. Then on two other occasions when Andy is whittling in the jail house, I believe he was whittling a tomahawk and a plane. What ever pattern of knife Andy had, he always seemed to use the clip point blade. The last reference I can think of was when Opie got three wishes (or so it seemed) from Barney's witch craft stuff he picked up, and one of the wishes was for a jack knife, and low-and-behold, Andy walks in and gives Opie his old jack knife.
The Andy Griffith Show might just be my favorite show, I always wanted to live in Mayberry!

You're absolutely right about the name, GT. It's definitely Dale Cooper and not Gary Cooper (and D.B. Cooper is a much more fitting cultural reference for the show).

I loved the first six-episode season of the original series, but it went off the rails a bit in the second season. I'm not sure yet about the new series that's currently airing, but I will say that they definitely brought back the weird factor in spades. :D

Thanks for the ID on the metal-handled pocket knife, GT! That's looks like the one!

Great work Barrett :thumbsup: I also watched Twin Peaks when it originally aired GT, me and my missus at the time were glued to it. Mid-series we moved to France though, and I made my brother promise to record it for me. Six months later, we sat down to watch it, and just thought 'What the...?!' I guess the spell was broken!...

You're absolutely right about the name, GT. It's definitely Dale Cooper and not Gary Cooper (and D.B. Cooper is a much more fitting cultural reference for the show).

I loved the first six-episode season of the original series, but it went off the rails a bit in the second season. I'm not sure yet about the new series that's currently airing, but I will say that they definitely brought back the weird factor in spades. :D

Thanks for the ID on the metal-handled pocket knife, GT! That's looks like the one!
Barrett, my assessment of the original Twin Peaks was virtually identical to yours. I thought that first half-season was suspenseful, funny, and intriguing, but the second season just got more and more weird in a way I didn't really enjoy (using your phrase, I'd have said it went WAY off the rails by the end). So, Jack, maybe the spell wasn't broken, the shows simply were vastly different by the second season. (I was actually surprised that I enjoyed the early episodes, since I went in with the attitude that I probably wouldn't like anything by David Lynch.)

Barrett, even though I hadn't thought about the show in years, I was pretty sure about the character's name because at the college where I work, the college chaplain was for years a man named Dale Cooper!

Your orange-is-black knife has a longer main blade than mine, but I'm quite sure that mine has a reprofiled main due to a broken tip.

- GT

"Man In The Shadow" 1957 with Jeff Chandler plays a sheriff who uses a traditional, looks like a stockman, to cut off a piece of wood that has a blood stain on it during an investigation.

Barrett, my assessment of the original Twin Peaks was virtually identical to yours. I thought that first half-season was suspenseful, funny, and intriguing, but the second season just got more and more weird in a way I didn't really enjoy (using your phrase, I'd have said it went WAY off the rails by the end). So, Jack, maybe the spell wasn't broken, the shows simply were vastly different by the second season. (I was actually surprised that I enjoyed the early episodes, since I went in with the attitude that I probably wouldn't like anything by David Lynch.)

Now that I think back, it was the second season my brother taped for me. It DID get a lot wierder! :D Certainly not the wierdest Lynch film I've seen, but (somewhat bizarrely), he made The Straight Story, which I think also has some traditional knife content :thumbsup: And no dwarves talking backwards! :D :thumbsup:

In the Longmire episode where Walt (unwittingly) shoots Henry Standing Bear, Henry "surgically" removed the slug from his own thigh with what looked to me like an 8OT Old Timer stockman. That scene was hard to watch!

-- Mark

Last edited:
McQueen carries a switchblade in 'Never So Few'. Also, the movie 'The Hunted' with Tommy Lee Jones is noteworthy for gratuitous knive usage including characters making their own knives from found materials. Kevin Costner uses a "borrowed" well-used Jack knife in 'A Perfect World". I know I'm forgetting some, but keeping my eyes peeled now.

I got to see Clint Eastwood cut the rope with a SAK in the Eiger Sanction tonight.

r5YjS3B.png

I got to see Clint Eastwood cut the rope with a SAK in the Eiger Sanction tonight.

That was a great scene. :thumbsup: Liked the movie so much a few years ago bought a copy on DVD. It probably was part of the reason I became interested in SAKs; I carry a Tinker all the time.

Last edited:
That was a great scene. :thumbsup: Liked the movie so much a few years ago bought a copy on DVD. It probably was part of the reason I became interested in SAKs; I carry a Tinker all the time.

I liked the movie so much, I read the book. It was great. They hardly changed a single detail. It's a great summer beach read.

r5YjS3B.png

:eek: A great film for sure :thumbsup:

I used to know Joe Simpson, and had to steel myself to search out this image from the film of his excellent book Touching The Void :eek:

hqdefault.jpg

I'm on a roll this week with Clint Eastwood. Harry Callahan likes to pick the bullets out of door frames with a traditional, in Magnum Force.

Big bolster. Maybe a copperhead?

aQbXsivh.jpg

CBHeelah.jpg

My wife and I started watching the new Netflix show Ozark today. I noticed this big scout-type knife with a bail in the second episode.

x2nwvCC.png

Looks like a beefy knife -- three springs, with a liner between each.

SUWfYyX.png

Appears to have a sheepsfoot (or similar) main blade.

8bvJnJY.png

Well spotted Barrett, I always enjoy your excellent posts in this thread :thumbsup:

Back