traditional knives in movies

So they were used like quarter staves?

I guess Clint was right; there's nothing like a good piece of hickory. (or birch, oak, ash, or whatever grows there!)

Something like that, yes. The story in that movie is based on true events, I have seen that film. Alcohol salesmen gradually got a lot of saami men on dept slavery and alcoholism caused a lot of suffering. A preacher (who was considered radical) got the saami out of alcohol abuse and when the salesmen tried to keep on pushing liqueur with the help of officials things got violent. Some of the leaders of this rebellion were beheaded for murder. It's a poverfull story.

Well, I think this might be my first animated submission to this thread. :D

Here's a traditional knife that appears in an episode of King of the Hill.

s4nXDAI.jpg

c3sjSRi.jpg

On the movie Urban Cowboy, does anyone know the knife the convict used to cut the tape on the lady he was robbing?

Victoria, on Masterpiece, season2, episode 5, 31min, 5 seconds....
The French King says to Queen Victoria, "years of real life taught me, that you should never go anywhere without a knife."
What's ironic is the French King, Philippe has what appears to be an English Jack:).........not the typical French knife, but hey, I'm not a knife historian.

Victoria, on Masterpiece, season2, episode 5, 31min, 5 seconds....
The French King says to Queen Victoria, "years of real life taught me, that you should never go anywhere without a knife."
What's ironic is the French King, Philippe has what appears to be an English Jack:).........not the typical French knife, but hey, I'm not a knife historian.
I did see that! It did look like an English jack. Of course he was trying to impress the Queen of England, using the knife to cut oranges and hand slices to her. I think it was oranges?

Watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle last night. That big freakin' bowie that Merlin grabs looked like it had some nice stag!

I did see that! It did look like an English jack. Of course he was trying to impress the Queen of England, using the knife to cut oranges and hand slices to her. I think it was oranges?
It was oranges. "From his Indoor kitchen garden".

Here's one from the show Parks and Recreation. Ron Swanson (played by Nick Offerman) uses a two-blade jack knife to carve a large stick.

3nV37Lt.jpg

83M0Djw.png

Here are a couple more knives from Parks and Recreation.

This one looks like a Laguiole, with a light-colored wood handle, which Ron Swanson uses to eat a large steak with a side of bacon while drinking Lagavulin and watching The Bridge on the River Kwai.

U7R3c7K.png

4EhF7MP.jpg

PmtaGj1.jpg

And here's Ron sharpening a fixed blade knife at his desk. I'm not great at identifying fixed blade knives, but this one looks like an Old Hickory butcher knife.

SLurlxe.jpg

TGiS6Eb.jpg

KfuFvwF.jpg

Well spotted Barrett :thumbsup: I've never seen the show, but am surprised we don't have a 'Ron Swanson' here on The Porch! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Great post btb01 btb01 ! Although my own contribution has been meager (must be watching the wrong movies) I always enjoy the posts in this topic. :thumbsup:

It may have been mentioned, this IS a long thread:cool:

Henry Fonda playing the lead in Hitchcock's 'The Wrong Man' has his pockets emptied at the police station after wrongfully being arrested. Keys, coins, the inevitable Rosary (it being Hitchcock;)) but also a small pocket-knife that looks like a CASE Pen or Senator. I don't have a screen grab though . The moral here is clear: even if the odds stack ominously against you, things turn grim, many are against you but in the end carrying a Traditional knife is proof against anything and it becomes your guardian angel!:cool::D:D:D

Well spotted Barrett :thumbsup: I've never seen the show, but am surprised we don't have a 'Ron Swanson' here on The Porch! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Although I'm sure he'd fit in great here, I think an online forum might be a little too on-the-grid for Ron Swanson. :D

Here's another scene in which Ron using a traditional pocket knife with a spear point blade to whittle.

uACATVp.jpg

bxoFEQQ.jpg

54Q2cNd.jpg

Here you can see the knife sitting on the desk. It appears to be some sort of scout knife (note the corkscrew in the second photo) with stag scales.

FhHmlOs.jpg

vLgpDXQ.jpg

Not a movie, but a series on Netflix. A series on Wild France with Ray Mears had an episode he was in the Fresh Alps. He and a guide were making lunch in the wild, and Opinel's were predominantly used. The guide and Mears both were using the Opinel's for food use and later in the series Mears used it for some rough work gathering some wild plants.

First post! Longtime lurker, unless I missed it I haven’t seen any pics from the 1960 the magnificent 7 James Coburn uses an Italian stiletto, and Charles Bronson‘s character whittles a whistle with what looks like a grandaddy Barlow

Some others I forgot about in the 2016 Pete’s Dragon movie Robert Redford has what looks like a yellow handled fishing toothpick with a fish scaler back (I both love and cringe when he shoves it into the semi trucks ignition to start it) all you really get To see is the blade, in Indiana Jones and the crystal skull (2008) Indies son Mutt has a Italian greaser switchblade and Indiana finds a large Bowie on a skeleton in a cave And jokes about not having to borrow the switchblade anymore

Although it's been mentioned in this thread more than probably any other film, I don't think there have been any actual screenshots posted of the traditional knives that appear in The Shawshank Redemption. And since I think this thread is more fun with screenshots (when possible, of course), and because I happened to have watched Shawshank this afternoon, here they are. :D

Here's Brooks Hatlen's Barlow that he uses to carve "BROOKS WAS HERE" on the beam at the halfway house.

Two-blade Barlow, main blade behind the secondary, half stop.

m0sJPlb.png

Clip point, double-lined bolster, saw-cut bone, perhaps?

DSyQu4l.png

Nail nick.

Z7rd6Xi.png

Here's the knife in the Pawn Shop window, next to the compass that Red buys. Spear and pen blades, funky green-and-cream colored scales (celluloid?), looks like a Federal shield.

07VRtJd.png

You don't get a very good look at the knife Red uses to carve "SO WAS RED" next to "BROOKS WAS HERE." Perhaps its the knife from the Pawn Shop, but who knows. I can say that when he opens it in the film it does not appear to have a half stop.

egzYooO.png

tDHqrjV.png

Back