traditional knives in movies

Thanks Inspector Rachel :D

I don't believe it's a Scout knife as Columbo's deputy was wearing a suit (real 70s style too;))and I think that type of knife is too bulky&heavy for trouser carry. But....o_O

Later...think I found the segment :cool: It's a Clip blade master, I see brown bone or delrin? Lined bolster, looks like a STOCKMAN to me:)

Last edited:

I don't believe it's a Scout knife as Columbo's deputy was wearing a suit (real 70s style too;))and I think that type of knife is too bulky&heavy for trouser carry. But....o_O

Later...think I found the segment :cool: It's a Clip blade master, I see brown bone or delrin? Lined bolster, looks like a STOCKMAN to me:)

I'm thinking an Imperial equal end jack, at least something in the clipped-on-bolster style.
mZwE0X7.jpg
vVoOo85.jpg

It is fun playing detective.

Ha! Ha! Columbo's faux shambolic act would ensure he would only have bits of paper in his pockets and later on the remains of eggs and stogies :eek::D No room for pocket-knives...;)

Rachel, I think you could be on to it, an EE Moose type Clip/Spear?

Thanks for the clip from the show, Will. :cool::thumbsup: I had forgotten how relatively-young Peter Falk looked in that role. His journey down the steep hill was almost as entertaining as a similar trip down a hill by Buttercup and a dread pirate in a film in which Falk also had a role. ;):D

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs Glad you liked it GT:) Well, he was a well preserved 45 then...I'd like to see those days again now being in Methusela mode:D:eek:

I know this thread doesn’t see much action, but thought I’d throw something out tonight. I was watching Disney’s 20,000 Leagues under the Sea with Kirk Douglas tonight. In two scenes he uses what looks like a Navy knife with a Marlin spike. A quick glimpse of him using the blade while making a turtle shell string instrument and another using the spike to pry gems out of some treasure. He also did a little singing in the movie. Something you definitely don’t see today.

Here's something from an episode of The Sopranos (S6E3, "Mayham"). It looks like a Buck 110 at first glance, but after looking a little closer (and comparing it to the Buck 110 I own), I think it must be a knock off or prop knife. For one thing, it seems a bit slim. The edges of the covers and bolsters are more angular/less rounded than my Buck, the center pin is flush with the covers (not the case on the Buck), and the flat part of the blade (that is, the part that isn't hollow ground) extends much further towards the tip of the blade than the real deal. Still, it's a traditional knife in a movie TV show, so I'm posting it here. :D

eSjDZ4a.png

I know this thread doesn’t see much action, but thought I’d throw something out tonight. I was watching Disney’s 20,000 Leagues under the Sea with Kirk Douglas tonight. In two scenes he uses what looks like a Navy knife with a Marlin spike. A quick glimpse of him using the blade while making a turtle shell string instrument and another using the spike to pry gems out of some treasure. He also did a little singing in the movie. Something you definitely don’t see today.

Thought I'd add some screenshots to your post. :D

QoBdDSV.png

iBx7UMh.png

Opening the marlin spike with his teeth. o_O

cgv8630.png

It just occurred to me that, last weekend, my wife and I went to see the movie Knives Out at the theater. (It didn't even cross my mind when I was posting in this thread earlier today.) :confused:

It was an enjoyable film, and featured a massive circular display of traditional/antique fixed blade knives that appears throughout the film. Here's a good look at the display from a promotional image for the film:

O32Btfo.jpg

Another photo of it with the film's director:

ZWvsxAF.jpg

And a slightly wider shot from the trailer:

mX4rHHl.jpg

Here's something from an episode of The Sopranos (S6E3, "Mayham"). It looks like a Buck 110 at first glance, but after looking a little closer (and comparing it to the Buck 110 I own), I think it must be a knock off or prop knife. For one thing, it seems a bit slim. The edges of the covers and bolsters are more angular/less rounded than my Buck, the center pin is flush with the covers (not the case on the Buck), and the flat part of the blade (that is, the part that isn't hollow ground) extends much further towards the tip of the blade than the real deal. Still, it's a traditional knife in a movie TV show, so I'm posting it here. :D

eSjDZ4a.png
Looks alot like a China made Winchester lockback I have. I take a pic when I get home :thumbsup:

Neat thread. Since TV shows seem to be OK for our purposes, there's a scene in the show "Blue Bloods" in which the police commissioner of NYC (played by Tom Selleck) is having a lunch meeting with a Russian gangster to discuss the gangster's son, whose violent behavior is causing problems for both men.

The gangster is fiddling with a pocket knife at the table, holding it vertically by the bolster, letting it rotate down, using the table to push it back up between his finger and thumb, repeating. Something I've done many times. He uses the knife to make a metaphor about the situation with the son, and refers to it as "my slipjoint pocket knife." I was amazed (and still am) that the writers of the show even knew the term. Maybe the only use of the word "slipjoint" in a movie or TV show!

It appears to be some sort of medium Case serpentine stockman or Texas Jack.

There are several front-porch-whittling scenes in the movie Son in Law. (I wouldn't really recommend the movie, although for some reason I've seen it several times!) :confused: :D

Hard to tell much about the knife being used in this first scene, but I don't think there's any doubt it's a traditional slipjoint. (You should be able to zoom in on any of these screenshots to get a little better look at the knives; there aren't any closeups in the movie.)

gl0vkyk.jpg

You get a better profile shot of the blade being used in this scene. Sort of looks like a sheepsfoot to me, but a bit oddly shaped. Any ideas? It also looks like there's at least one other blade folded up in that handle.

IFrqVzR.jpg

Not a great shot of the knife in this scene, either, but I'd say this one looks like a clip point.

NSCKop2.png

Throughout the movie, Pauly Shore's character repeatedly asks this grandfather character if he can "whittle wood" with him. Grandpa eventually agrees, and pulls an extra knife from his pocket, while Pauly sits down with an entire log to whittle. :D

2OspAam.png

In The Rocketeer, the protagonist carries a slipjoint of some kind. It looks fairly distinctive -- celluloid, tip bolsters, squished hexagon shield, and dual springs. Can anyone identify it?

49434447832_ab4a2abf3c_b.jpg

Great posts Barrett btb01 btb01 :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack!

In The Rocketeer, the protagonist carries a slipjoint of some kind. It looks fairly distinctive -- celluloid, tip bolsters, squished hexagon shield, and dual springs. Can anyone identify it?

49434447832_ab4a2abf3c_b.jpg

Nice one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I haven’t seen that movie since I was a kid! That is a very distinctive knife.

Last edited:
Back