traditional knives in movies

On an episode of Dexter, probably season 6 or 7, Dexter gifts one of his lady friends with what looks like to me a Case Copperlock. I think at one point she uses it to protect herself from an attacker, but I could be wrong.

Case Mini Copperlock, mother of pearl. Season 5 Episode 11. They buy it at flea market/mall/swap meet looking place. The case has a few others, including (I think) a Tiny Toothpick. The girl, Lumen (Julia Stiles), does use it on a bag of coffee, and then defending herself against the season's main antagonist, Jordan Chase (Johnny Lee Miller), although you don't see that happen, just the bloody knife on the ground where Dexter finds it.

hyo3cFd.jpg

c5iPEi9.jpg

7vaLeii.jpg

lc6BYoH.jpg

nKQYd8Z.jpg

Going off a memory ( haven’t seen the movie in probably six or seven years) and couldn’t find a screen grab. but I believe That Wrinkle in time (2003) has a sak in it.

Watched "Finding Forrester" the other night. When Jamal sneaks into Forrester's apartment he steals a large ornate fixed blade. And later Forrester uses the same knife to scare Jamal and in the final scenes Jamal again uses the same knife to open a letter from William (Forrester).

Case Mini Copperlock, mother of pearl. Season 5 Episode 11. They buy it at flea market/mall/swap meet looking place. The case has a few others, including (I think) a Tiny Toothpick. The girl, Lumen (Julia Stiles), does use it on a bag of coffee, and then defending herself against the season's main antagonist, Jordan Chase (Johnny Lee Miller), although you don't see that happen, just the bloody knife on the ground where Dexter finds it.

hyo3cFd.jpg

c5iPEi9.jpg

7vaLeii.jpg

lc6BYoH.jpg

nKQYd8Z.jpg

Nice one, Aaron. :thumbsup:

Here's a scout knife from the first episode of the sixth season of Mad Men.

mMsqPvN.jpg

A while back, I posted this knife from an earlier season of Mad Men:

Here's one from an episode of the show Mad Men. You don't get a great look at it, but it looks to me like an Imperial scout knife (maybe a Kamp King or Forest Master?). In the show, it's being used by a kid working at a Christmas tree lot.

a0bBUBU.png

Looks to me like it could be the same knife, although it's two appearances are from completely unrelated storylines/characters. Maybe the prop department just got lazy. :D

Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro make use of a folding hunter in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”.

8huLX9.jpg

Del Toro whips the knife upward to flip it open with a spine pinch grip. I won’t be trying this any time soon...

8huvHo.jpg

Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro make use of a folding hunter in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”.

8huLX9.jpg

Del Toro whips the knife upward to flip it open with a spine pinch grip. I won’t be trying this any time soon...

8huvHo.jpg

It's been a while since I've seen that movie. Pretty hard to miss that big ol' knife! :D

Recently I've been re-watching the TV series Fargo. The second season, set in 1979, features several traditional knives, mostly fixed blades, but I don't think there's one instance where a screenshot would be appropriate to share here on the Porch. :eek: :D

...but I don't think there's one instance where a screenshot would be appropriate to share here on the Porch. :eek: :D

I know what you mean. It’s funny because I get very interested when I see someone unfold a knife onscreen. But almost as often as not, there’s just a curtain of gore and no way to get a good shot for the thread.

I’m still trying to get a clear image of Nicholson using a folder in The Pledge.
The only thing is Benicio Del Toro’s character has his brains blown out all over the wall in the backgroundo_O

I recently watched the Coen Brothers' new western anthology The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and spotted a few traditional knives. (I'm always on the lookout when watching a western, as there are bound to be traditional knives, particularly fixed blades, to be spotted somewhere.)

The film is a collection of six different stories. In the first, which shares its title with the film, Buster Scruggs (played by the wonderful Tim Blake Nelson) enter a saloon where he has to check his weapons at the door. On the counter of the weapons-check station, you can see a big hunk of wood with several traditional fixed blade knives (and one hatchet) stuck into the top of it.

m32jQfZ.jpg

opYjGAC.png

There are a few other instances in the film where you notice fixed blade knives on belts, but they're never removed from there sheaths and aren't really noteworthy.

As for pocket knives, I only noticed one, in the film's fifth story, "The Gal Who Got Rattled." It appears only briefly, as two characters are sitting around a camp fire. One pulls a plug of tobacco out of his shirt pocket, bites off a bit for himself, then offers it to the other fella. The second guy pulls out a pocket knife, opens it (pushing the blade open with his thumb on the edge), then goes to cut himself a piece of tobacco from he plug.

Here you can see him opening the knife.

VUHRZMy.png

And here are a couple shots where you can sort of see the outline of the blade. Looks like a spearpoint.

JEhnDXd.png

9j122mA.png

One thing I would've never caught while just watching the movie, but noticed as I was going through and pausing the scene over and over to get the screen grabs, was that before opening the knife, when the plug of tobacco is tossed his way and the actor moves both hands out to catch it, you can clearly see the knife blade is already partially open, his fingers carelessly placed between the blade's edge and the handle. I'm guessing that's a prop knife with no sharp edge.

hy06cbI.png

Screenshot_2018-12-02-01-29-55.png Screenshot_2018-12-02-01-36-56.png Screenshot_2018-12-02-01-39-41.png
Buster Keaton in O Vaqueiro pulls out this whopper to remove a splinter from a girls hand. The over size knife is part of a minor gag, as he tries several angles before getting the splinter. Even though it shows him opening it like a regular slipjoint,as he moves it around you can see the button on the covers that tells its a automatic. Also I can't ever make out a nail nick on it. Part of the time you can see the mark side of the blade, no nick. I've seen several scenes in Busters films where he uses pocket knives. Here's a link to O Vaqueiro
Scene above is at the 33 minute mark
Edit: rewatched it frame by frame there is a nail nick,but definitely looks like a button and safety on the mark side.

Last edited:
Bumping this for a commercial for some terrible-looking CBS sitcom. Apparently, a 7-year old gets a Case Mini Copperlock in Amber Jigged bone for his birthday. His dad (I'm assuming) promptly tosses it into the air and sticks it through his foot.

20190113-142712.jpg

20190113-142728.jpg

r8shell r8shell recently posted in the Lounge about the bat colony that lives under the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin, TX. That reminded me of an episode of King of the Hill that featured a bridge in (fictional) Arlen, TX with a large bat population (which I'm sure was inspired by the bats in Austin), so I went to find the episode on Hulu so I could take a screenshot. When I found the scene I was looking for, I was quite surprised to see that it contained traditional knife content, as well! I shared it in the Lounge, but I couldn't miss out on sharing it here in one of my favorite Porch threads, too! :thumbsup:

Here's Hank opening the knife:

D0wXrlT.png

alozYov.png

And you can see it in his hand here, in the screenshot I was originally looking for with the bat bridge. (Sorry for the odd screenshots with all the "stuff" on the screen; Hulu apparently doesn't like it when you try to take screenshots, that was the only way I could get it to work. :D)

m6XHogm.png

Doesn't look like the same knife Hank had in another episode of King of the Hill that I posted about here a while back.

Well, I think this might be my first animated submission to this thread. :D

Here's a traditional knife that appears in an episode of King of the Hill.

s4nXDAI.jpg

c3sjSRi.jpg

Last edited:
r8shell r8shell recently posted in the Lounge about bat colony that lives under the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin, TX. That reminded me of an episode of King of the Hill that showed a bridge in (fictional) Arlen, TX with a large bat population (which I'm sure was inspired by the bats in Austin), so I went to find the episode on Hulu so I could take a screenshots. When I found the scene I was looking for, I was quite surprised to see that it contained traditional knife content, as well! I shared it in the Lounge, but I couldn't miss out on sharing it here in one of my favorite Porch threads, too! :thumbsup:

Here's Hank opening the knife:

D0wXrlT.png

alozYov.png

And you can see it in his hand here, in the screenshot I was originally looking for with the bat bridge. (Sorry for the odd screenshots with all the "stuff" on the screen; Hulu apparently doesn't like it when you try to take screenshots, that was the only way I could get it to work. :D)

m6XHogm.png

Doesn't look like the same knife Hank had in another episode of King of the Hill that I posted about here a while back.
Cool! I think I vaguely remember that episode. Hank was afraid of bats, but embarrassed about it?
There are a lot of inside Austin jokes on King of the Hill. In fact, Mike Judge the animator and voice of Hank Hill, used to call in to a local radio show in character. It was pretty funny.

I think Hank's the kind of guy who always has a knife on him - an American traditional like a Buck Stockman or Case Trapper. He would admire Swiss Army Knives, but consider them too foreign and fancy for himself. ;):D

Detective work needed ;)

Not from a film, but film length legendary TV series Columbo. Was round at the GF's the other night and after dinner we decide to adopt flop-house mode...and watch an episode. This one from 1972 The Greenhouse Jungle where Peter Falk is joined by Ray Milland and Bradford Dillman. The latter two fake a car crash and abduction which turns to the uncle murdering his nephew...blood thicker than water but greed thicker than everything:D Columbo asks his assistant at the car crash to lend him a pocket-knife and then digs a .32 slug out of the upholstery of a wonderful Yellow Jaguar E-Type. But I couldn't make out what it was:eek: Looks like a single-blade Clip, some kind of CASE I suspect.

Just one more thing...perhaps somebody knows :cool::D

Detective work needed ;)

Not from a film, but film length legendary TV series Columbo. Was round at the GF's the other night and after dinner we decide to adopt flop-house mode...and watch an episode. This one from 1972 The Greenhouse Jungle where Peter Falk is joined by Ray Milland and Bradford Dillman. The latter two fake a car crash and abduction which turns to the uncle murdering his nephew...blood thicker than water but greed thicker than everything:D Columbo asks his assistant at the car crash to lend him a pocket-knife and then digs a .32 slug out of the upholstery of a wonderful Yellow Jaguar E-Type. But I couldn't make out what it was:eek: Looks like a single-blade Clip, some kind of CASE I suspect.

Just one more thing...perhaps somebody knows :cool::D
This is the best screenshot I could find, but can't make out what he's holding:
Columbo-The_Greenhouse_Jungle-1972-CSS-131.jpg

Back