traditional knives in movies

Very end of this scene from one of the all time great westerns, definitely a slipjoint. Does anyone recall if its used anywhere else in the movie?View attachment 1396976

The best screenshot I can capture it looks to be a sheepfoot main.

It does look like a sheepsfoot. A bit long for a a Barlow?
Hard to see if it is a single blade with a sheepsfoot or clip, rat tail bolster(?). JW use it for cutting ropes and tobacco quid.
JW01.jpg

You see him opening...
JWa.jpg
JWb.jpg

edge up,
JWd.jpg

...and closing.
JWf.jpg

I know the EO Jack from the poker scene in Titanic has been mentioned here several times, but there's another knife that appears in a famous scene (you know, that scene ;)) that has only been mentioned once in this thread, 8 years ago, with no screenshot. Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) opens a pencil roll that contains this pocket knife, which he uses to to sharpen a piece of charcoal, just before things turn PG-13 . :D

5kfwVTW.png

4sgWDlk.png

One thing I found a bit odd was that, when Jack opens the pencil roll, the knife is already open and sitting loose in the middle of the roll, just as you see it in that first screenshot. Doesn't seem like the safest way to store it. :confused: :D
Am I alone in the "never-seen-Titanic (and Doctor Zhivago and Avatar, etc.etc.etc.)-and not- intending-to" club? Membership fee is an average movie theater ticket price. :confused::D:D:D
:D

Been a while since I watch Josey Wales one of my favorites, but if memory serves me correct it’s a granddad Barlow

In the film Captain Phillips, Tom Hanks (as the titular Phillips) opens what looks like a traditional folder to cut a roll of bandage tape as he is bandaging one of the Somali pirates' feet. This is after he has been taken hostage aboard the lifeboat. The pirates take the knife away before he can even cut the bandage, leaving the roll dangling from the pirate's foot!

Am I alone in the "never-seen-Titanic (and Doctor Zhivago and Avatar, etc.etc.etc.)-and not- intending-to" club? Membership fee is an average movie theater ticket price. :confused::D:D:D
:D

Not alone, but if you like movies, your life would be richer for having seen them :)

In The Great Escape, Flight Lieutenant Robert Hendley (James Garner) shows a SAK-type knife to Donald Pleasance, revealing that he's the camp scrounger.
"The rest [of my gear] was confiscated in the last shakedown."
knife2.3.PNG
"The goons objected to some of my more personal items..."
knife1.4.PNG
It looks like the knife has a large blade, wood saw, Victorinox-style can opener/screwdriver and cap lifter/screwdriver, and maybe a Phillips driver on the front side, and a corkscrew, awl, and another tool on the backside. Can anyone ID the knife?

Last edited:
I wish I'd never seen Titanic. Didn't see the other two and don't want to. (In my defense my wife wanted to see Titanic, so I took her. Lousy movie, but we have to make sacrifices sometimes.) ;)

The Titanic came out while I was in college when I was young and single. I wasn’t thrilled to watch it, not even back then. But on the list of “Stupid Things I’ve Done to Gain the Affections of the Fairer Sex” I have to admit that watching The Titanic is nowhere near the top of the list.

The Titanic came out while I was in college when I was young and single. I wasn’t thrilled to watch it, not even back then. But on the list of “Stupid Things I’ve Done to Gain the Affections of the Fairer Sex” I have to admit that watching The Titanic is nowhere near the top of the list.
I had enough listening to Céline Dion on the air! :rolleyes::D

I wish I'd never seen Titanic. Didn't see the other two and don't want to. (In my defense my wife wanted to see Titanic, so I took her. Lousy movie, but we have to make sacrifices sometimes.) ;)

:D:D

Most films are worthless and some are memorably insulting to the intelligence/imagination ;) But there are exceptions of course:). But, sacrifices .....? Titanic could be close to human sacrifice:eek::poop::rolleyes:

That’s a good one! I could have sworn that had been posted here before, but a quick searched turned up nothing (unless someone really butchered the spelling of both “Indiana” and “Jones”). :D
You're right I found this at the beginning of the thread (back in 2012!), but there's no picture.

Indy uses a German-looking lockback in Raiders of the Lost Ark... .

Back