traditional knives in movies

Just rewatched "The Evil Dead" from 1981. CLASSIC. The character Scott has a Buck 119 (or 120, not sure) in a scout-type sheath. He brandishes it, but alas I don't think he actually dispatches the zombie with it.

Andy-Opie-Taylor.jpg

I'm guessing either a 4" Trapper or Stockman based on the blade.

Maybe something like this?

I posted that same picture a couple of months ago, along with this one that shows the knife better...

Not a movie (I don't watch many movies anymore), but can you ID the knife used in this TV ad about "Jake from State Farm"? This is my current favorite TV advertisement (even though Russell the outdoorsman seems to me to be a blatant rip-off of Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation); I really like the whole series of ads about clients who think that Jake from State Farm gave them special rates and want to pay him back somehow, even though he protests that the great rates are available to EVERYONE. I know almost nothing about fixed blades, which this knife seems to be.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/net5/state-farm-russell-rate

- GT

I posted that same picture a couple of months ago, along with this one that shows the knife better...

Sometimes we have short memory in this thread (even though it’s only 30 pages). Have y’all ever seen the EO Jack from the poker scene in Titanic? ;) :D

Not a movie (I don't watch many movies anymore), but can you ID the knife used in this TV ad about "Jake from State Farm"? This is my current favorite TV advertisement (even though Russell the outdoorsman seems to me to be a blatant rip-off of Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation); I really like the whole series of ads about clients who think that Jake from State Farm gave them special rates and want to pay him back somehow, even though he protests that the great rates are available to EVERYONE. I know almost nothing about fixed blades, which this knife seems to be.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/net5/state-farm-russell-rate

- GT

Definitely a Ron Swanson rip-off, GT! :D I'm not very good at ID'ing fixed blades, but it looks to me like it could be a Buck Vanguard. Here are a couple screenshots from the ad (I took two angles, one that shows the butt of the handle and single hilt, and one that shows the profile of the blade better).

SlXM8uk.jpg

jZRAbHY.jpg

Here's the Vanguard (from Buck's website):

eXEbdNm.jpg

The only thing that has me second guessing myself is that the drop from the tang down to the edge/heel looks to be more pronounced on the commercial knife than the image of the Vanguard, but maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

Great pic Vince! :D :thumbsup:

Sometimes we have short memory in this thread (even though it’s only 30 pages). Have y’all ever seen the EO Jack from the poker scene in Titanic? ;) :D

LOL! :D I was thinking the same about the Buck Vanguard ;) :D :thumbsup:

I watched the movie "Mud" last night and there was some kind of 110 style lockback, and at least on minor whittling scene, but I couldn't make any of the blades specifically.

Just saw this thread on page one and thought I would mention it. Not the greatest flick in the world, but not too terrible either.

Definitely a Ron Swanson rip-off, GT! :D I'm not very good at ID'ing fixed blades, but it looks to me like it could be a Buck Vanguard. Here are a couple screenshots from the ad (I took two angles, one that shows the butt of the handle and single hilt, and one that shows the profile of the blade better).

SlXM8uk.jpg

jZRAbHY.jpg

Here's the Vanguard (from Buck's website):

eXEbdNm.jpg

The only thing that has me second guessing myself is that the drop from the tang down to the edge/heel looks to be more pronounced on the commercial knife than the image of the Vanguard, but maybe I'm seeing it wrong.
You are AMAZING, Barrett, in at least two ways!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:
1) Your technical prowess impresses a geezer like me. Can you actually take that video clip for which I gave a link and go through it frame by frame somehow and select the frames you want? Or are you so adept with the play/pause control that you can identify the frames you want and then deftly do screenshots or some other jiffy image capture?
2) Even more astounding to me (especially given your claim to not be very good at fixed blade identification :rolleyes:) is that you could actually find a knife that certainly looks VERY similar to the one in the TV clip!! :eek::confused::thumbsup::thumbsup: How do you even start? Part of MY difficulty is that I don't recognize any fixed blades, so it seems like a needle-in-haystack situation. Did you figure that the Ad creators would probably get their prop from an American maker, and Buck and Case are the 2 biggest producers? Did you know that you should check Buck first, or did you just toss a coin? Once you decide where to start looking, I can see that your images suggest a certain size, and the single-lined endcap, and a saber grind, but still ...
How many knives did you actually look at?? I AM NOT WORTHY!!! :rolleyes::p

As for your reservation about blade shape, maybe Russell thought he needed a pronounced "sharpening choil". (Is there such a concept for fixed blade knives?)

Thanks for working your magic on my example!

- GT

You are AMAZING, Barrett, in at least two ways!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:
1) Your technical prowess impresses a geezer like me. Can you actually take that video clip for which I gave a link and go through it frame by frame somehow and select the frames you want? Or are you so adept with the play/pause control that you can identify the frames you want and then deftly do screenshots or some other jiffy image capture?
2) Even more astounding to me (especially given your claim to not be very good at fixed blade identification :rolleyes:) is that you could actually find a knife that certainly looks VERY similar to the one in the TV clip!! :eek::confused::thumbsup::thumbsup: How do you even start? Part of MY difficulty is that I don't recognize any fixed blades, so it seems like a needle-in-haystack situation. Did you figure that the Ad creators would probably get their prop from an American maker, and Buck and Case are the 2 biggest producers? Did you know that you should check Buck first, or did you just toss a coin? Once you decide where to start looking, I can see that your images suggest a certain size, and the single-lined endcap, and a saber grind, but still ...
How many knives did you actually look at?? I AM NOT WORTHY!!! :rolleyes::p

As for your reservation about blade shape, maybe Russell thought he needed a pronounced "sharpening choil". (Is there such a concept for fixed blade knives?)

Thanks for working your magic on my example!

- GT

Thanks, GT. You’re too kind! :D

I took the screenshots from a YouTube version (higher resolution) of the same commercial. I’ll find the section of video with the knife, pause just before it, then use the spacebar (which will play/pause most video applications) to quickly play/pause, play/pause, play/pause until I get the shot I want. (Sometimes I miss it and have to go back.) Then I just take a screenshot (on Mac, Command+Shift+3 to capture the full screen, or Command+Shift+4 to snip a portion of the screen).

Other streaming video services (Netflix, Hulu) can be trickier because they have digital rights protections in place to prevent you from taking screenshots, but there are a few workarounds.

I think I just got lucky with the Vanguard. :) My first thought when I saw the knife (probably because I’d been looking at them recently) was Randall Made Knives, many of which have that pronounced drop from the tang to the edge. Their Combat Companion model is probably the closest, but it’s definitely not a match, and given the price and waitlist, it wouldn’t make much sense, anyways.

Buck’s website was my next stop. I’ve browsed their fixed blade knives before, and I think I vaguely remembered that they made one with a short, broad drop point blade like that. I also think the Vanguard was (briefly) suggested as a possibility for the annual BF knife a couple years ago, so I would have seen it then.

Thanks, GT. You’re too kind! :D

I took the screenshots from a YouTube version (higher resolution) of the same commercial. I’ll find the section of video with the knife, pause just before it, then use the spacebar (which will play/pause most video applications) to quickly play/pause, play/pause, play/pause until I get the shot I want. (Sometimes I miss it and have to go back.) Then I just take a screenshot (on Mac, Command+Shift+3 to capture the full screen, or Command+Shift+4 to snip a portion of the screen).

Other streaming video services (Netflix, Hulu) can be trickier because they have digital rights protections in place to prevent you from taking screenshots, but there are a few workarounds.

I think I just got lucky with the Vanguard. :) My first thought when I saw the knife (probably because I’d been looking at them recently) was Randall Made Knives, many of which have that pronounced drop from the tang to the edge. Their Combat Companion model is probably the closest, but it’s definitely not a match, and given the price and waitlist, it wouldn’t make much sense, anyways.

Buck’s website was my next stop. I’ve browsed their fixed blade knives before, and I think I vaguely remembered that they made one with a short, broad drop point blade like that. I also think the Vanguard was (briefly) suggested as a possibility for the annual BF knife a couple years ago, so I would have seen it then.
Thanks for the pro tips, Barrett! ;):thumbsup::cool:
I didn't know the spacebar would function that way for video players.
I did know about Mac screenshots; I've (re-)learned those keyboard shortcuts numerous times! :(:mad:
Even though "the magician revealed his tricks", I'm still in awe! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Here are a few knives that I noticed while watching the first couple episodes of the new season of Fargo.

Loy Cannon (played by Chris Rock) uses this pushbutton switchblade. It looks Italian to me, although I don't know much about traditional switchblades, and couldn't tell you whether this is the real deal or just a prop knife.

JSk4ORB.png

Here's a slightly different look at it:

A3H7zgx.png

In the same scene, there's also a small drop-point fixed blade knife with what appears to be a stacked leather handle handed from one character to another (you only get a quick look at it in this wide shot).

PwBvv57.png

Several knives can be seen on a table full of weapons in this transition scene. The camera pans across the table, so I took a couple different screenshots in which you get a slightly different look at the various knives. There's a fixed blade knife (only the blade is visible) on the far right, followed by what looks like a couple folders (blades closed). There's a trench knife prominently featured in the middle of the table. Next there are a couple of wood handled folders, both with cross-guard bolsters. And finally, on the left, a sheathed fixed blade with a grooved, stacked leather handle (similar to a KA BAR).

AARowwP.png

Wik1R3A.png

hMaOmoF.png

Here are a few knives that I noticed while watching the first couple episodes of the new season of Fargo.

Loy Cannon (played by Chris Rock) uses this pushbutton switchblade. It looks Italian to me, although I don't know much about traditional switchblades, and couldn't tell you whether this is the real deal or just a prop knife.

JSk4ORB.png

Here's a slightly different look at it:

A3H7zgx.png

In the same scene, there's also a small drop-point fixed blade knife with what appears to be a stacked leather handle handed from one character to another (you only get a quick look at it in this wide shot).

PwBvv57.png

Several knives can be seen on a table full of weapons in this transition scene. The camera pans across the table, so I took a couple different screenshots in which you get a slightly different look at the various knives. There's a fixed blade knife (only the blade is visible) on the far right, followed by what looks like a couple folders (blades closed). There's a trench knife prominently featured in the middle of the table. Next there are a couple of wood handled folders, both with cross-guard bolsters. And finally, on the left, a sheathed fixed blade with a grooved, stacked leather handle (similar to a KA BAR).

AARowwP.png

Wik1R3A.png

hMaOmoF.png

Well done Barrett :cool: I think that switchblade looks Italian too :) I am really looking forward to watching the new Fargo season, they've all been great so far. I'm just watching The Man In The High Castle, quite a bit of traditional knife content, but I don't have your skills :thumbsup:

I never saw Titanic. I'm glad they had good taste in knives.

I started to watch Chuck Connors in Ride Beyond Vengeance the other night. He had a nondescript Bowie of probably 8" blade. Though maybe 10 or 12 inches, it being Chuck Connors. I knew he was a big guy, but I was surprised he made Claude Akins look small. (Bill Bixby looked like a svelte hobbit.)

The Hangover Part III, could it be a puukko?
View attachment 1445617

:D

Looks like, or a Rappala fillet knife. These are very common here, although the handle in movie still doesn't seem to have the finger notch.
fish_n_fillet_knives_hero.jpg

I don’t think it’s that knife exactly — the blade would have to go all the way through the table! ;) — but it’s certainly something similar. :thumbsup: Maybe a shorter J. Marttiini model, like this one.

BwsGE81.jpg

Has anyone mentioned the GEC / CK SFO #85 EZ Open in Titanic?
12734151_1217530298275205_1409066262582136178_n.jpg

OK, maybe it pre-dates the #85; but still a balloon EZ Open.

I think that one’s been mentioned once or twice. ;) But you’re the first to suggest it could be a time-traveling GEC. :D

Back