traditional knives in movies

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by silenthunterstudios, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Martiini seem to have made knives for a few folks. Here's one with Normark colours from one of my giveaways some years back :thumbsup: Some of their sheaths are awful! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Like @scrteened porch , I never saw Titanic (and have no plans to), but I remember one of the times that knife pic came up, someone remarked that the Titanic ticket was worth 100 times more than anything else in the pot! :D Well, maybe not to a time-traveller! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

2. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Here are a couple more from the current season of Fargo.

This big stag-handled Bowie knife appears frequently, usually sheathed on this guy's belt. There are a few scenes in which the knife is being handled/used, but you never get a great look at it.

[​IMG]

I suppose if you're going to bring a knife to a gunfight, it better be a big knife. :D

[​IMG]

This knife is the same small drop point fixed blade from my previous post, but here you get a slightly better look.

[​IMG]

In this shot you can see it sitting on the table, just at the bottom of the frame. Looks like a wood handle with brass guard and butt.

[​IMG]

I thought I had seen one more, but I didn't take note at the time we were actually watching the show, and skimming back through episodes 4-6, I couldn't find anything else.

3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    What a safe place to carry your Bowie.

btb01 and Jack Black like this.
  4. btb01

Jul 26, 2008
    Comfortable, too. :D

scrteened porch likes this.
  5. Ron53

Ron53

Jul 30, 2007
    I believe that Bowie in Fargo is one of the Muela ones. Have to get a closer look to see which one.

Mainerd and btb01 like this.
  6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    From the pretentious pile of cobblers, The True History of the Kelly Gang, (supposedly based on the novel of the same name, but having nothing in common with it apart from the name of the main character), Ned Kelly's knife is a Sheffield 'Town Pattern' Whittle-Tang Bowie.

[​IMG]

7. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    In Colombo's season 9 episode 3, Agenda for Murder, the famous inspector uses a slipjoint to steal some cheese. To small to be sure of what pattern.
    Agenda for Murder_Patrick McGoohan.jpg Agenda for Murder_ Patrick McGoohan-2.jpg

edit : typo

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  8. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I watched Bite The Bullet the other night, and Gene Hackman's character used an I-XL Barlow (you could clearly see the stamped bolster). Pretty cool!

9. btb01

Jul 26, 2008
    Here's another from the current season of Fargo, from episode 9 ("East/West"). Rabbi Milligan (played by the excellent Ben Whishaw) hands this pocket knife to the young boy he's looking after, Satchel Cannon. Based on the wide, rounded end of the handle (with end-cap) that you can see in his palm if you zoom in, I'd say it looks like a trapper.

[​IMG]

Satchel later opens the knife in a closeup shot, and you get a decent look at the clip point blade, as well as a quick look at the backspring (looks like two springs) and what appear to be stag (or imitation stag) covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  10. btb01

Jul 26, 2008
    In City Slickers, Curly (Jack Palance) carries a large stag handled Bowie on his left hip.

[​IMG]

He throws it in the ground a few different times in the movie, including once immediately after he’s finished (aggressively) stropping the edge. Seems a bit counterintuitive to me, but hey, what do I know? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you’ve never used your Bowie knife to tip your hat to a lady, are you really even a cowboy? :D

[​IMG]

A bit of quick Google research actually turned up some info on this one. The knife was made by a knife maker named Chuck Stapel from Los Angeles, who (according to his website, which I had a brief look around) has made knives for several different film and television productions.

Here’s an article about some of his work (which was originally printed in Knives Illustrated, February 2004). The knife from City Slickers is briefly mentioned:

“Another popular movie of recent years, still shown on the cable networks, is "City Slickers." Chuck Stapel made the big Bowie-pattern knife handled by actor Jack Palance. That one had an 8 1/2-inch blade, but was visible for only a few seconds in the film.”
    I also found an auction for the knife used in the film. (The auction is closed and it appears that the knife was not sold.) Here’s the info from the auction site:

633. Jack Palance "Curly" signature hunting knife from City Slickers. (Castle Rock, 1991) Original Bowie-pattern knife with 8.5 in. steel blade and 4.5 in. stag horn grip, created by renowned knife maker Chuck Stapel. Signature weapon of choice for the burly old trail boss "Curly" played by Palance, who earned a "Best Supporting Actor" Oscar for his performance in the Western comedy. Exhibiting production wear. In very good condition. $2,000 - $3,000

And an image from the auction:

[​IMG]

Mainerd, mnblade, JohnDF and 4 others like this.